Log cabin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paula's beauty

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of buying a log cabin for the garden and using it as my work place. Are there any Geeks working from home like this, and if so does it work well? any pros and cons?;)

Hiya

I am now getting all the arrangements in place for the log cabin.

First thing I would do would be speaking to your council. I know that in 99% cases it's very straight forward but you should see my face when I found out that although my cabin would be the right dimensions etc I live in the area where the permitted development rights has been removed and I need a planning permission which costed me £430 incl. technical drawings and architect and delayed me for 8 weeks!

Make sure first your council won't surprise you :) and if you want water and electricity connected, couple of sockets, concrete foundations (much better than pads etc,) and cabin erected, make sure you have at least £3000 up to £4000 on top of the cabin price. And that's for the cabin 3mx5m which is about 10m away from home.

Obviously if you have a builder or know someone who can do it for you it will be much cheaper. I am not that lucky. But you still need a building inspector around if plugging electricity and water so no cutting corners on this.

Overall don't just look at the price of the cabin but also workmanship, vanity sinks, heating, aircon etc.

I am writing this to warn you :) I was naive enough to think that £6000 budget will be more then enough...no one told me what the reality is xxx

Good luck xxx

Hi

I work out of a log cabin in my garden. It works very nicely for me.

I have the clients arrive through the garden gate (which has it's own doorbell), and therefore they do not need to enter my house at all. I don't have running water, but as you need to prepare individually for each client I find that fresh water in a large jug/bowl works just fine for me and there are often times mid-treatment when you can go and top up if necessary.

If a client ever wants to use the loo, I just remind them that it's at their own risk as I am not insured to have them in my house & they have always been fine with this.

I have a low wattage/voltage panel heater in there which is kept on a timer through the day and night at set intervals to keep the place cosy in the winter months as even with roof insulation, I do fine that it gets a bit chilly in there, and it also keeps a regular temperature for product storage too.

Do check with you local authority, but any reputable company selling cabins should know the local regulations for you, and as the previous poster said allow for 'extra' works to ensure that you have everything covered.

Hope that helps, and good luck with it all!
L x :hug:

I would love to see piccys of your cabin hun. I have been saving to get mine, and would be in the exact same boat as you. As I have a back gate and won't have running water either. But I have to save up alot for the one I need for my garden, and it will take me 1 to 2 years to do it.

Last edited:
I have seen someone do this in a magazine and it looked amazing! I think its a great idea!

Latest posts

Back