London Fashion Event next week? In a predicament

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
I'm in a predicament and not sure whether I should be?

I applied to help out at the show next week and got accepted, Yeeeeay :D

However, I would need to stay over in London for 3 nights and travel from Yorkshire. This would cost around £400.

So, what I'm wanting to know, I've never done anything like this and have no idea what goes on... Apart from obviously making pretty nails :lol: is it worth paying that money out, simply for the experience or have any of you ever done this and regretted it?

I would hate to seem ungrateful for the opportunity as I'm really not, I'm really, really pleased/shocked but would just like to know other thoughts before jumping at the chance, booking my hotel and moving my clients around... Xx

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Definitely do it, what an experience. Something you will always remember Maybe open up doors to other opportunitys. I would imagine your confidence would soar. If I was as good as you and was excepted id be there in a dash! Good luck.

Have you done anything like this before?!
I think I'm that shocked, I'm just a bit over whelmed and don't wanna jump in without rationalising...

I'd have said the same to myself hours ago and now I'm questioning it, where is the impulsive me?? &#128514;

Wow if I had that chance I'd jump at it! Go for it ...you never know where it could lead :)

I've been waiting all day for an answer and now I've got it I duno what to do with myself, I'm going to see that my mum is available to travel with me then get booked in... Eek!!

Sounds like a unique experience, and I'm sure you can work it into your marketing materials to give you added kudos and "authority" with your clients.

I know you'll have to shell out a fair bit of cash, but will you have a similar opportunity in the future if you turn it down?

Not the same, but I hope you see the similarity; I just took my elderly mother away for a few days. I couldn't really afford it, but mum is getting older and creakier and I just don't know when she won't be around any more, so I don't dare wait until a "better time".

I've done LFW and it's a great experience. It can open up doors to other areas of the industry like session work. If you can afford to go then I would take the opportunity x

Brilliant, thank you ladies.. I will definitely go, think I just needed confirmation that shows are all they're cracked up to be :D

I'm really excited thank you all... Xx

Anyone any other info on what generally happens at shows?

Do you use your own products?
Are you continuously working throughout the day?
Is there many other techs, if I go on my own is there often others travelling alone?

Etc, etc :D

This sounds so exciting, congratulations! How did you apply for this? What do they look for? Do you attend an interview? Thanks :)

I applied online, I'll inbox you :)

I have a friend who did LFW last year and she loved the experience but said absolutely manic and v high pressure when you're working. Often sitting in weird positions on floor while someone else doing hair/make up.

I have a friend who did LFW last year and she loved the experience but said absolutely manic and v high pressure when you're working. Often sitting in weird positions on floor while someone else doing hair/make up.

Thanks, I can imagine it's pretty intense... Roll on next Friday :D

Rather giddy now it's all sunk in, I was really fretting about it all earlier :o

Don't forget to update us with how you got on! Go you!!

It's crazy busy, with some hideously early call times, lots of crawling around the floor!

You tend to need your own basic kit (flies, manicure tools, acetone, oil, hand cream, tissues, baby wipes, hands down pads, nail wipes, base & top coat) however the colour you need for the look is generally provided (unusual for it to not be)

It's really good fun though, and for some a once in a lifetime opportunity, so enjoy it!!

My key tips are:

It might be fashion week, but no one is looking at you! Wear black, comfortable clothes (lots of bending down, you need to be able to move freely) make sure your top is long enough to cover your bum if you bend over and touch your toes!!

Wear comfortable shoes, the last thing you want to be worrying about is your feet hurting.

Take a bottle of water and a mini deodorant, sometimes you just want to freshen up and rehydrate!

I would also love to know how you can do this, specially for next year

This sounds amazing I would love to do something like that!! Can I ask how you applied for it?! X

I've pm'd you, might be able to help you out

Are you doing shows for the experience (i.e. no fee)? If you are you should be supplied with the colour so you just need you own basic kit.

The organiser should let you know what is needed. There was a lot of this that went on last season and it wasn't well organised and people who had travelled to London were dropped at the lsat minute. It sounded so bad that I ended up contacting the organiser and saying I didn't agree with what she is doing.

If you are doing it for free, most products SHOULD be supplied. You should get some advice on how you can get some benefit in marketing this to your clients and maybe local newspaper. In my opinion you should also get some products to keep.

I took on 1 girl last season as I needed 1 extra and she was a friend of one of my team. She was great but had been cancelled last minute with no real reason and so was stuck in London with nothing to do.

It's a great experience but even better if you join the team of an experienced show technician. PM me if you want to

Latest posts

Back