London rental market

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkknailss

www.luxetanning.co.uk #Princess
Reaction score
Its so crazy!
I can barely afford to live in croydon anymore! Its basically over £800 a month plus bills to rent a studio/1bed flat! Id love nothing more than a nice garden flat but thats just wishing upon stars! And the council tax?! Thats just day light robbery!
You need about £2000 for deposits and fees let alone removals. And even if you do find a nice place you have to earn a certain amount to pass the checks etc.
The new housing benefit is so confusing aswell! As a single person with no children i feel like i have no choice but to live like a 'student'in a studio?! I am a adult id like to not watch tv while sitting on my washing machine cooking dinner ( exagration of course but it feels like it!)

I have seriously thought about moving out of london and commuting but the travel costs are a joke!
Any london geeks have any tales n woes of london renting? Or good agents to reccomend?

I hope you get some good feedback, sounds very stressful :( rent and council tax are high in my area.... Let alone what you get for your money in London!!! I dont think I could stick it, best wishes to you x

Have you considered searching for a position out of London and then moving out of London all together? (Sounds easier than it is I know) commuting is quite expensive depending on how far you go out. I live in Essex so not to far from London and a lot cheaper than what your paying now I would say :) good luck in what you choose to do xx

Haha I feel your pain ;) I moved to London 5 years ago from Sussex and I flat shared for 3 of those years. It had it's pros of being cheaper rent but also the cons of sharing with people who you might not 'gel' with shall we say. I used to pay £500 a month which included bills ect. I now live with my boyfriend and our little girl in a 1 bed flat which is lovely but it's not big enough for a growing family. We are looking at moving to Essex next year. Still close to London but much more affordable :)

Essex is the place to go

I lived there for a few years with work with OH and daughter. I lived in Sydenham so not too far from you in a 3 bed flat which i loved.

I still miss not living in London and I loved my job there but honestly... my 3 bed detatched house with 2 receptions and 2 bathrooms vs my 3 bed flat with no garden or parking.... for 1/3 of the price says it all.

If you can't afford the prices of London then it is simple - move or else sadly you do need to put up with smaller living quarters for the price. I know my sister pays £600 for a ROOM in a shared house and bills on top so £800 for a studio apt doesn't sound too bad to me :)

Latest posts

Back