Lone working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stylegirl

Reaction score
Just asking for some feedback I am employed as a hairdresser salon based boss is taking more time of and I'm left alone in salon no other staff should I be getting more money for this

I don't think there can be any grounds for you to expect more money unless you have greater responsbility, ie: banking, key holding,or being in contol of stock or reps coming to the salon. Or are you working far harder than you were? Are takings on the up?
However if you feel you can justify more pay ....well just ask for it, but approach it with reasons why you should.
My boss kept popping over to Spain and i didn't have a rise, but she rewarded me for my loyalty and gave me a rise anyway. Banking daily was part of the new task, and I had been a key holder for years anyway.
Hopefully someone thaat knows far more on employment law will advise.
Are you aggrieved by the boss not being there? I used to love it actually.

I don't think there can be any grounds for you to expect more money unless you have greater responsbility, ie: banking, key holding,or being in contol of stock or reps coming to the salon. Or are you working far harder than you were? Are takings on the up?
However if you feel you can justify more pay ....well just ask for it, but approach it with reasons why you should.
My boss kept popping over to Spain and i didn't have a rise, but she rewarded me for my loyalty and gave me a rise anyway. Banking daily was part of the new task, and I had been a key holder for years anyway.
Hopefully someone thaat knows far more on employment law will advise.
Are you aggrieved by the boss not being there? I used to love it actually.
Defo not aggrevated by this I am a key holder wage not brill commission rubbish just feel I'm being taken advantage of

Then tell your boss why you have earnt a pay rise. Mention the extra responsibility of managing the salon on your own.
In the meantime, start looking for a new job as a senior stylist somewhere else.

You need to be assertive and ask for what you want and point out all your positive attributes.

You should keep a record of how many days a week/month you are on your own. It's perfectly reasonable to say "I seem to be on my own 2 days a week (or whatever), is this just temporary?"

My own opinion is that solo working on a regular basis is a change to a job description. You can ask for a revised job description and this would be grounds to discuss pay for the new role.

If you are being left to open up or close more often than in the past you can have a conversation about responsibility and enhanced pay.

Doing treatments all day is your job - however if you are struggling to get everything done on days when you are on your own, you need to have this conversation and ask for some time without clients so that everything else can get done. You shouldn't be coming in early or working late unpaid, so you should make sure you have time in your column to set up for the day and agree what time you do your last treatment of the day, leaving you time to close up before you finish for the day. You can frame this conversation to either be paid for work which you have been doing unpaid - or to get time off in lieu.

Start to calculate your worth. You should be paid around a third of the value of your treatments. Keep a record of your takings. There is an opportunity to become invaluable if you handle it right. Then if your Boss is smart she'll want to keep you happy.

Latest posts

Back