Long break what next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65838

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post! So it might be in the wrong place...Please bear with me!

I have a query since I have been a stay at home mum for a number of years would it be worth retraining and with whom!?! I have a BTEC in Beauty Therapies and VTCT Nail Technologies for L & P and Gel nails and St Tropez applications but have not worked in the industry for about 8 years and as things move on so rapidly I may be a little out of touch! Now my youngest child begins school in September and I am thinking of offering nail services from home/mobile... I have continued to do a few relatives nails for practice and special occasions to keep my hand in and fairly competent with them. Would you recommend an update course such as CND conversion? I have also been considering NSI. Would need all equipment so any ideas?

Thanks in advance

emmarie

I don't know how many years you're talking but I would definitely recommend a refresher - if only for the simple fact that things have changed so much in the past few years. Not to mention the fact that there are so many new products out there now.

As a CND user, I would always recommend them; their education is second-to-none and will have you back up and running in no time.

You should give whoever you decide to go with a call and they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.

For quick reference, Sweet Squared (the CND distributors) can be contacted on 0845 210 6060.

Hello Emmarie,

I'm in a similar position, so will tell you what I've just done. I trained in NSI gels as a complete beginner in 2006. I worked from home for a short while and then had to stop due to a baby boom.

Fast forward six years and hundreds...no, thousands of nappies later, and I've just returned back from a refresher course in NSI gels, mani/pedi and the CND Shellac course. I'm ~certainly~ no industry expert, but for me the main change in the industy is Shellac - such a brilliant invention.

You said that you're competent so why not start up slowly over the summer to get back into the swing of things? A refresher or conversion course is a great idea which I would highly recommend and I'm so pleased I did it.

Good luck! :biggrin:

I'm in the same boat, Did a BTEC and additional courses in St tropez, CND L&P, Reflexology, hopi ear etc & worked in a salon for 4 years then fell pregnant and here we are 5 years & 3 kids later!!! I'm just looking into setting up mobile now the kids are becoming less demanding. Have looked into shellac & gelish for a refresher course but cant make my mind up between the two??!! I'm off to the Beauty UK show at the weekend so hope this will help inspire me with all the other stuff I need to get. I'm planning on digging out all my old books and assignments to re-read & get back up to speed by practicing on friends and family. I've found loads of good threads on here so am spending all my free time researching :D

Hi Emmarie,

You are where I was at 9 years ago (apart from mine was a total career change). My youngest was starting school and I decided to train in nails and looking back it was the BEST BEST BEST thing I decided to do (apart from having the children lol)

It's such a perfect thing to run alongside a family, you can be flexible and book out time for all those special school assemblies, nativities, plays, sports days etc, that you don't want to miss. . . . it's been all pleasure really

I started offering gel, soon learnt acrylic, and now offer Shellac and spray tanning as well (although my passion is nails, but the tanning was a business decision) - I can be even more flexible now my kids are teenagers

Sorry I'm waffling . . . just so excited for you . . . . yes doing a refresher will probably make you more confident too

Hope you decide to go for it, lots and lots of luck and lovely clients xx

Thank you so much
This is all very encouraging - The OH is a little apprehensive! With the recession and all that I'll never make any money... but my principle is that I earn nothing at the moment! I've been reading up about the shellac and I can see that being a real winner! My friend has hers done constantly and they always look great. Definitely would do that course. I was a little unsure that my time out would be too long for just a quick refresher course but the principles and prep haven't changed much just more developed products. Still can't decide between NSI and CND more swung towards CND because its closer for the course! and I don't like driving - I get lost lots! lol and plus if I do decide to go for the shellac then I can stick with one range for the time being I guess.

Thank you so much
This is all very encouraging - The OH is a little apprehensive! With the recession and all that I'll never make any money... but my principle is that I earn nothing at the moment! I've been reading up about the shellac and I can see that being a real winner! My friend has hers done constantly and they always look great. Definitely would do that course. I was a little unsure that my time out would be too long for just a quick refresher course but the principles and prep haven't changed much just more developed products. Still can't decide between NSI and CND more swung towards CND because its closer for the course! and I don't like driving - I get lost lots! lol and plus if I do decide to go for the shellac then I can stick with one range for the time being I guess.

NSI products are good but I would go CND

Training and product quality aside (which are obviously second to none, look at the awards they've won) CND are much better known to the public. . . there are often articles in the glossies mentioning them as a company and often Shellac in particular. I trained for Shellac in response to a requirement - I had people phoning to ask if I did it, and after I'd turned about 6 people away I thought right, enoughs enough lol, and booked the course

(PS I'm the same about the driving too lol)

Just a quick update for you all that posted on this thread I have my CND conversion L&P course in a week or so and have booked an OPI Gelcolour course too in a couple of months! So quite excited now!:D

Hello geeks,
Sorry for punching the post... I qualified in holistic therapies 14 years ago and haven't practiced in this field for 12 years. I am currently studying a level 2 complete nail tech course however would like to do a refresher course on reflexology to be able to add this treatment to my work.... Does anyone know of any reflexology refresher courses? I am really struggling to find one anywhere, I think even a day or couple will help me to remember the basics and the rest will come flowing back with practice. I live in the West Yorkshire area. Thank you in advance xx

Why not get out your notes & offer some complimentary treatments to refresh yourself, it will come back to you. Family members are great to practise while you need to use your guide sheets

Latest posts

Back