Long lasting gel polish brand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laraiba123

Reaction score
Hi!
Any recommendations for longer lasting gel polish brand pls?

You should be able to get 4 weeks of wear from most gel polish brands today. Often, the reason why this isn't achieved is either due to the nail preparation or not using a UV or LED/UV lamp that is matched to the polishes.

Most brands offer more than 100 colours too. But avoid neons, cat-eye, colour changing or glow in the dark effects as many of these contain ingredients that are not legal for use in Europe.

Price is something else to consider. The lowest price gel polishes are using made in China and often these use cheaper ingredients, and higher allergy risk ingredients because they improve adhesion (it's the same high adhesion, less safe decision used for MMA monomer by NSS). Products made in the EU or USA will vary between mid to premium price, but some may require more coats to apply the colour, so more is used faster.

You also have a choice between hybrid and "pure" gel polishes:
  • Hybrids use a solvent in the formula which makes soak-off times faster. But they can dry out and solvent fumes, which are Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC's) should not be inhaled in large amounts. OK for a small single NT salon, but not perhaps for a salon with 4 or 6 Techs working in a confined space without ventilation.
  • "Pure" gel polishes don't use a solvent so can't dry out, take longer to soak-off than hybrids but wear longer. Most of the gel polishes in the market today are this type.
Some gel polishes are especially good for nail art, others less so. Using gel polish for nail art as well, saves you money on buying gel paints and that money can be used to buy more gel polish colours. You should check that the gel polish colours can be mixed to create new colours.

I think the key thing here is that the gel polish needs to remain intact for as long as it takes for the nails to grow out and need redoing.I have a lady who partly lives both here and in the Canaries and her gels have been lasting eight weeks! She even had to cut her nails once and it still looked fine. That said the new growth makes her nails look ridiculous!

I also find that super long lasting gel products can encourage my most naughty clients to drag out their infills even longer, meaning fewer appointments and less income! I have to be more strict with them and instead of saying infill every so many weeks (knowing they will add a couple more), I tell them that beyond 2mms new growth they are risking damage to their natural nails to focus their minds.

I agree with Bob, avoid anything made in China, it's packed with HEMA. I used to use Bio Sculpture but have switched to Ikon.iQ Nails for better performance and working flexibility. The lady who spends weeks at a time in Lanzarote wears Polytek extensions with Prima gel polish and nail art. She comes back with next to no lifting and colour intact, and about 6mms of new nail growth, her nails grow fast out there!

Gel polish should really only be worn for 14 days or 3 weeks max.

There's a couple of things you need to consider:

1. The stronger the product, the harder it will be to take off. Acrylic is very strong, and its very hard to take off. Shellac provides enough stay on strength so when the 14 day is up, you can take it off without damaging the nails.

2. Past 14 days and the growth will not look nice. Making the case for going past 14 days even more undesirable.

So all that considered, its why I believe Shellac is a good choice for gel polish. If you really want a strong gel polish, Creative play is a good choice but its a lot harder to take off.

Last edited:
Hi!
Any recommendations for longer lasting gel polish brand pls?

The Funky Bottle Inc, new brand by Funkylash, and they are doing buy 2 get 1 free

I think the key thing here is that the gel polish needs to remain intact for as long as it takes for the nails to grow out and need redoing.I have a lady who partly lives both here and in the Canaries and her gels have been lasting eight weeks! She even had to cut her nails once and it still looked fine. That said the new growth makes her nails look ridiculous!

I also find that super long lasting gel products can encourage my most naughty clients to drag out their infills even longer, meaning fewer appointments and less income! I have to be more strict with them and instead of saying infill every so many weeks (knowing they will add a couple more), I tell them that beyond 2mms new growth they are risking damage to their natural nails to focus their minds.

I agree with Bob, avoid anything made in China, it's packed with HEMA. I used to use Bio Sculpture but have switched to Ikon.iQ Nails for better performance and working flexibility. The lady who spends weeks at a time in Lanzarote wears Polytek extensions with Prima gel polish and nail art. She comes back with next to no lifting and colour intact, and about 6mms of new nail growth, her nails grow fast out there!
I’m happy to see a lot of different opinions about nail art here. I agree with most of Bob’s opinions, but I disagree with HEMA. In fact, a lot of evidence shows:Isobornyl Methacrylate;Isobutyl Methacrylate;HEMA,Di-HEMA Trimehylhexyl Dicaibamate,ect.are safe as used in nail enhancement products when skin contact is avioded.So products containing these ingredients should be accompanied with directions to avoid skin contact,because of the sensitizing potential of mechacrylates.And then write it for professionals.
At the same time, I don’t think that any products from China need to be avoided. If you don’t like HEMA, you can buy the one that does not contain this ingredient. If necessary, I can make it. In fact, many major brands also use these ingredients. Finally, it is most important to dry the nail gel polish completely and try to avoid excessive contact with the skin.

The only nail product I have found to stay on clients nails is shellac :)

Latest posts

Back