Long term effects of taking steroids on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini4mum

Reaction score
Hi all, have a client that has recently had pneumonia & she is currently taking Steroids and will be for some time to come. I know about keratin/amino acid, with production slowing when poorly, hence beau's lines (which she has). My question is how does this effect a Shellac or Gel Polish treatment, in the long term? Is there anything I can do, to prolong her colour in-between appointments?
Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

i had a lady not long ago on steriod tablets and warned her they may not last the full 2 weeks. they lasted about 12 days then 1 chipped but appart from that they were fine :)

Hi,

Not sure if this will be of any help but I've been on steroid tablets for two and a half years (starting at a high dose slowly coming down to now nothing for the last two weeks). I had some lifting at the beginning but since lowering the dose no problems with my Bio sculpture gel nails at all or with using Gelish, although Gelish was fairly recently (the last month or so at 2mg). HTH.

Sam

Steroids and any strong medication can have an unknown and unprovable effect on nails

Any form of stress on the body can effect keratin production as this is the last amino acid on the priority list

Hths

Medication does not affect everyone in the same way.

You have to work with clients on a 'suck it and see' basis. After-all, how any nail service lasts is down to the partnership you have with clients and them partnering with you to create the right conditions for longevity (normal wear and tear, correct aftercare, regular maintenance and the like).

No one can tell you from their personal experience how medication will last on others. I've had patients on chemo whose nails lasted no differently to how they normally last and others whose nails were so affected that nothing was supported.

Work together to solve issues as they come up, and if they come up too often to make a service viable then there is always regular manicures to keep hands and nails looking as best they can.

Latest posts

Back