Long term nail biters...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffle

Reaction score
I'm just after some advice...someone I know has bitten her nails for years, I'm talking 10 + years. Anyway, in the last few months she's managed to stop which is great and she's now looking for helping in making them look nicer - while understanding it might be hard!

She does now have a free edge and they are wider there, I guess from being bitten. Anyway, she has been advised that she shouldn't push the cuticle back in any way and that she probably won't have any half moons now.

Other than regular manicures and cuticle oil, is there anything else she should be doing? I haven't come across enough nail biters to have experience with it.

I think you have covered all bases there! Having some pretty nail polish on now and then can also help cap the free edge in, stopping biters from going for those little jagged edges that may appear - this could trigger nail biting again!

If this was a friend, I would suggest that she take a great vitamin or supplement aimed at hair and nails nutrition... or even just to increase super foods in the diet as it does contribute to our hair and nail growth!

Last edited:
Anyway, she has been advised that she shouldn't push the cuticle back in any way and that she probably won't have any half moons now.

I'm interested in this? is it true? Why can she not push cuticle back?

I'm interested in this? is it true? Why can she not push cuticle back?

That's the main thing I wondered about too....as I mentioned having regular manicures and having them gently pushed back, using cuticle oil etc, but straight away she mentioned being advised not to push back. I did notice her
nail fold area seems a little 'swollen' but she said they are not sore at all. She has actually stopped biting as she has a nice free edge going.

That's the main thing I wondered about too....as I mentioned having regular manicures and having them gently pushed back, using cuticle oil etc, but straight away she mentioned being advised not to push back. I did notice her
nail fold area seems a little 'swollen' but she said they are not sore at all. She has actually stopped biting as she has a nice free edge going.

Hi

I do sympathise. I used to bite my nails for 30 years and they were awful. However if you look at my pictures you will see how lovely and long my nails are now. I started growing my nails with a clear shellac, which stopped me biting them and loads of oil. At first I probably done them every week then every other week and now I get 3-4 weeks. As for pushing the cuticles back, I cant understand this, when performing a manicure service you have to push back the cuticles. These will be very overgrown and stubborn so best to use cnd cuticle erase. Put this on for a minute, then try and push back the cuticles with your tool, im sure this would help. I cut off the dead cuticle and they looked 100 times better after just doing this. It will make her nails look a lot longer as well. If you dont use shellac, use toughen up base coat and super shiney top coat. They will look and feel a lot nicer so might get her to stop. HTH, Ax

Hi

I do sympathise. I used to bite my nails for 30 years and they were awful. However if you look at my pictures you will see how lovely and long my nails are now. I started growing my nails with a clear shellac, which stopped me biting them and loads of oil. At first I probably done them every week then every other week and now I get 3-4 weeks. As for pushing the cuticles back, I cant understand this, when performing a manicure service you have to push back the cuticles. These will be very overgrown and stubborn so best to use cnd cuticle erase. Put this on for a minute, then try and push back the cuticles with your tool, im sure this would help. I cut off the dead cuticle and they looked 100 times better after just doing this. It will make her nails look a lot longer as well. If you dont use shellac, use toughen up base coat and super shiney top coat. They will look and feel a lot nicer so might get her to stop. HTH, Ax

Thank you...I couldn't understand not pushing them back either. I don't use Shellac but I do Gelish, so will see if she wants to go with that. Thanks. x

Latest posts

Back