Long winded rant - Spray Tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Hope my fellow geeks agree with me on this one, I was fuming then upset, then worried, then felt bad. All during my first Bank Holiday weekend I have taken for a long time.

I had a phone call last Wednesday from a lovely sounding young lady asking about spray tans. She told me she was going away with 2 of her sisters on Bank Holiday Monday and was hoping to get all three spray tanned on Saturday.

I had been working 7 days a week for the last few weeks and was looking forward to a bit of a break but said I could do Saturday. They live just over 20 miles from me and as I offer mobile services I agreed to come out if they were prepared to supplement my fuel. I was running an Easter Special Offer of 15% off prices and as there were 3 tans I rounded the price down to the nearest round figure (my prices include a 20 mile round trip and my car costs me 25p per mile to run. She agree and I said that an extra £5.00 would more than cover the fuel costs.)

Anyway, I got there, did all the preliminaries. She had told me over the phone that they had all had spray tans before so knew about prep etc. I had asked if anyone was pregnant , allergies etc. over the phone. Whilst there, I find out that one girl is 12 weeks pregnant, one of the others suffers from Psoriasis with an outbreak on her foot. I discussed the drawbacks at length, explained to the pregnat girl that there is a good chance of a patchy tan due to hormonal changes,etc, etc.They still wanted to go ahead

I started the spray tan on the first girl and the room we were in was sweltering hot. By the third one everyone was sweating. I had told all the girls to stay dry, no sweating or strenuous exercise and so on. By the time I finished the third girl the second one was wpiing perspiration from her top lip. They went downstairs as soon as tanned so it wasn't just the room we were tanning in. The whole house was HOT. Anyway I told them that they needed to cool down, dont wipe and try to puff some talcum powder to dry some moisture, Take it easy and all the rest. WHen they got dressed, their idea of loose clothing was not very loose in my opinion and I asked if they could wear anything different. No chance, they had done it all before. The first gilr left fairly soon as she had to go see her granny in the hospital.

Anyway, as always I said if they had any smudges from babies sticky fingers or an overnight mishap to call me and I would talk them through a quick fix if possible ( you know what I mean, sitting with legs crossed or heavy perspiration inthe night)

Easter Sunday I get a call at lunchtime, with my whole family who I have not seen for months(they came up for Easter) all getting ready to sit down to a meal. She says her legs dont have much color and they are patchy, her pregnant sister is the same. The first girl is fine no problems. I straight away thought it was the sweating and wearing clothes too tight as well as pregnancy for the other girl. She wanted me to drive straight over to sort it out.

I explained that I had a house full of guests but if she wanted they could pop over in the evening for a top up ( I could do it FOC if they cam to me) or Monday Morning ( they would virtually be passing my place on the way to the airport. She wanted to come over straight away. When I said it just wasn't possible right then but they could come over on their way to visiting their granny in the hospital (one mile from me) at about 5 pm I would "kick" the guests out to go walk the dogs or something and she and her sister would be more than welcome as I wanted them to look fab on their hols. She didn't want to and got a bit funny and said to leave it.

I feel I did my best, offered a free top up even though they had not taken my aftercare advice and gave her two different options. I have been spray tanning for 6 years and the only "negative" feedback I ever seem to get is that they wish they decided on a darker color

Should I have nipped over and done it? I dont think I should have but then I am a bit stubborn at times

Hope to hear your thoughts on this one
Regards
Nikki

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you did your best and offered to rectify it even though you wasn't at fault.

If you have guests over then you have guests you can't just randomly disappear, its only the same as if you were fully booked all day

To be honest I don't think it was your fault at all. You asked prior to even going if there was anything you should have been aware about and they point blanked lied! And then didn't even follow any aftercare with the sounds of things!

And it was Easter Sunday, you do have the right to a day off!!!

By the sounds if it hun you done the Best you could. It's not your fault they didn't take your advice.

Also, did you get them to sign anything? Number of reasons, if they said they have had one before when it does sound like they haven't and something was to go wrong it would be your word against theirs that you asked the appropriate questions. Just something to think about incase you get anymore 'delightful' customers like that.

lastly, you offered to rectify the problem so I think you done everything right. Whether it not you had guests or other clients they would of had to wait to be fitted in.

Try not to worry xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

sounds to me like they are purely awkward!! you did the right thing you didnt say no to them they refused you and like to you prior to their appointment x

Thanks girls, yes I always fill in a client consultaion card with a disclaimer at the end. Which the customer signs as well as me with the date. It is the one downloaded from Tanprofesionals. Also a bodymap to make notes of bruises,wounds, tattoos birthmarks, piercings etc.
So I am covered in that sense, I just started feeling bad that they were going away with patchy legs but I suppose it wasn't that imprtant to them else they would have come over that evening
Regards
Nikki

they sound like a total NIGHTMARE, and you did everything poss to anticipate and put right the probs, even tho from the sounds of things, you had given them all the info and advice they could have expected or needed :) Hope they never come to me for a tan!!! Lol :0)

Some ppl just LOVE to be awkward - you just have to hope you don't get any more like that!! Sorry to hear your weekend was ruined :-(

Latest posts

Back