longitudal splitting of nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
hi folks

im so fed up with this, i dont know what to do...and hope someone could throw some light on it for me.. the problem is that EVERYTIME i soak my nails off to apply a new set - my natural nail splits down from the free edge to the natural smile line. so i have to cut my own nails. this is really getting me down, as i get my own nails to a lovely length then..........WHAM..... split. any ideas why this keeps happening? i only renew my nails every 3 months so there is little trauma or excessive filing going on. i know this is normally a brittle nail prob, but my own nails are very soft. im at my wits end with this.......................PLEASE HELP ME

Hi, i have this problem with my index fingers, but it vary's as to wethere they split all the time. I used to get it more when doing L&p on myself, but i now do fibreglass. This probably has no relevance to why, but i've just found i dont getthe problem as much now.

My nails are also soft and have been this way since i did my training the beginning of the year, and the other techs that were on my course, (we worked on each other) buggered up my nails. I have slight trauma to my right index finger so this is the one that splits, and yes mine does it as soon as it grows a little bit. I just found i had to keep it very short, keep using my oil and then eventually it wasn't as bad.

Hope this helps, but you aren't the only one.:)

Hi,

My nails are also the same splitting. Its horrible. Mine have also got worse since my training, having nails put on one day taken off the next, then re applied with something else the next day. At the moment all my nails are short and Im just using some good old nail strengthener and cuticle oil until the softness grows out.

Hi there

Sounds like lamellar dystrophy. Repeated traumas to nail tips, or repeated saturation or drying out by removing natural oils from constant use of solvents.

I reckon you should give your nails a break from extensions for a while and keep them topped up with plenty of oil, and regular manicures and of course protect them by wearing gloves especially when immersing in water. A good nail hardener without formaldehyde.

Deb379

Deb379 said:
Hi there

Sounds like lamellar dystrophy. Repeated traumas to nail tips, or repeated saturation or drying out by removing natural oils from constant use of solvents.

I reckon you should give your nails a break from extensions for a while and keep them topped up with plenty of oil, and regular manicures and of course protect them by wearing gloves especially when immersing in water. A good nail hardener without formaldehyde.

Deb379

This is good advice and a correct diagnosis too. Well done.

Latest posts

Back