Look at my poor little gal's sunburn from her school trip, I'm so angry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put a couple of cap fuls of vinegar in abath (no she wont smell!!!) it will sting as she gets in but will take the sting away and help the redness go brown quicker, or cut tomatoes in half and rub on burn, the acid in them helps........i have burnt myself in the sun to the point that i swelled up!!not a good luck and now whenever i go on holiday i go to local supermarket and buy big bottles of vinegar and o pour in bath, it works a treat

good luck up the school hun xx

As regards applying lotions, changing pants etc, it is, indeed, very sad.
It's necessary, unfortunately, both to protect children and protect staff.

Have to say I broke a few rules when I was a Head, even- Heaven forbid!- hug a child when they were upset, but I wouldn't have done it if I was a male teacher.

I know of one Head who was accused, by a parent, of sexual assault on her child. He was suspended, suffered a heart attack, and was devastated by the stress. The police threw the case out and he was reinstated.
The worst thing was that when he told me about it I thought " Mmmm...but could it be true?", because we are trained to take the pupil's side.
This mother then moved counties, and immediately made EXACTLY the same accusations against the new school's Head!

Sorry to hijack CC!
My point is, those rules are not going to change.
However, as regards sun safety, ie, providing adequate shade, limiting exposure, keeping hats and shirts on, then there is much the school can and should do.

Hope B feels much better very soon x

Lavendar oil works great!

Add a couple of drops of lavender essential oil to about 1 teaspoon of oil (vegetable oil works well). Smooth that over the skin.

It does ease the pain. :D

As regards applying lotions, changing pants etc, it is, indeed, very sad.
It's necessary, unfortunately, both to protect children and protect staff.

Have to say I broke a few rules when I was a Head, even- Heaven forbid!- hug a child when they were upset, but I wouldn't have done it if I was a male teacher.

I know of one Head who was accused, by a parent, of sexual assault on her child. He was suspended, suffered a heart attack, and was devastated by the stress. The police threw the case out and he was reinstated.
The worst thing was that when he told me about it I thought " Mmmm...but could it be true?", because we are trained to take the pupil's side.
This mother then moved counties, and immediately made EXACTLY the same accusations against the new school's Head!

Sorry to hijack CC!
My point is, those rules are not going to change.
However, as regards sun safety, ie, providing adequate shade, limiting exposure, keeping hats and shirts on, then there is much the school can and should do.

Hope B feels much better very soon x
you haven't hijacked lol and I wouldn't mined if you did lol.

I completely agree with what you have said here school have to take precautions for sure.

The only thing that has made me so angry about B is the t-shirt thing :sad: I made every step so she didn't burn.

Very sweet you calling her B that's what I call her.

She's in bed now I'm going to go and check on her soon xx

Both of my children are red heads & my 4 yr old is expected to apply his own sun cream!!! It is PC gone mad!!!
I would be fuming with the school if my child came back with sunburn
I hope she feel better in the morning xxx

Ahh, bless her :(

It's so frustrating as a parent (also as a teacher I'd imagine) to hear of these silly rules - especially when you hear of an example like this! - though I do know that teachers really must be protected. I really don't understand why they wouldn't have her put her t-shirt back on though - I'm sure you'd have preferred a wet t-shirt to a burn like that! Poor baby.

I wouldn't be a teacher for all the tea in China :o

I hope the littl'un feels better in the morning x

Have you got a big bottle of solar oil at all? Put loads of that on her, it'll heal it real quick :wink2: xx
Seconded - it's a miracle in a bottle!

I would write to your MP.

Aww no thats so awful. The poor little thing. I would not be pleased either and would also be having a word with the school.
I know it's not much consolation and may be a little too late but my advice would be to try p20 next time. You only have to apply it the once and it protects all day.
I've used it on my little girl, myself and my partner when we go on holiday and it works a treat.
Hope she gets better soon. Bless her. x

Oh gosh poor baby! I'm assuming the school know about her medical situation too?

It amazes me that they don't have the common sense to help a kid out, I thought teaching covered the caring side of things as well.

And what's next? 6 month olds being left in poopy nappies all day because they can't change themselves.

If my baby girl came home burnt I'd be sueing the school...good luck! x

I feel your anger. My son is 9 in a few months and we have had these issues since nursery. I asked why his trousers were not done up after he had been to the loo and they said they were not allowed to help him! so the poor thing spent the rest of the day like that. They also didn't appy suncream when he was there. At school I have also complained as they would not give him a cold compress when he had an eye problem. It is child abuse - the UK has gone crazy.

The other thing that bugs me is that I got told once that I could not look for my child's missing school jumper because I had not been 'police checked'!! I was not wandering the school alone - i wanted to look in my son's class in front of the teacher because they couldn't be bothered to check. I appreciate you cannot have any Tom, Dick or Harry wandering in but I am a parent for god's sake looking with them present. Madness.

I don't have children but this is effing ridiculous.
I would like to start an e-petition to bring back some common sense in the school enviroment on such matters.
I have no idea how to word it, but with your help I would be happy to start one and help to manage it.
I have a huge network of clients/friends/associates, as do you all. If we start this it is up to all of us to get the word out.
Once we reach a certain number of petitioners the government, I understand, actually has to listen to it.
Waddya reckon?

HM Government e-petitions

edit - just doing a search on e-petitions and I found this

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32565

I would write to your local newspaper and name and shame. List that you arent allowed to pack sun cream etc and provide them with the pictures, also write to the Teaching board, or whoever is in charge of the school
And I agree with the MP comment too!

My childrens school is allowed suncream in and they will apply it, very strange but i really would go see the head teacher first thing x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I went to the school thismorning and was told by teacher that they had applied more cream on the children I then spoke to one of the mums that went along and she said the children were appliying cream to each other(conflicting evidence)I then went home and asked Billie if anyone had put cream on her and she said no no one not teachers or pupils she was just playing :twisted:

Regardless of cream she had a t-shirt with her.

I spoke to the office at school and was made to feel it was my fault it's a joke I've signed the petition using the link in the above post.

I mean the school hasn't even acknowledged the issue not even a sorry from them.I'm soooo angry makes me sick it really does.x

So sorry to hear about your poor girl. My girls 16 now but a similar thing happenend to her when she was younger. The school have a legal responsibility to act as a parent would in situations like these and even if they have rules about not being able to apply sunscreen they were responsible for preventing sunburn. Dont let them make you feel at fault, demand a meeting with the head teacher and tell them you are seeking advice regardiing your legal position. Good luck I hope you get an apology from them.

How is Billie feeling today, Colleen?

How about photos and an official letter of complaint to the chair of governors? That should get their attention!!

She looks like she must be in pain too :(

whenever my children go on school trips we have to provide sunscreen for them to take, so if your school doesn't allow it then thats their own policy, not a national one, so that should be questioned too.

How is Billie feeling today, Colleen?

Hiya thanks for asking about Billie she's ok still very sore and off her food she's had ice pops and lots of fluids so atleast she's drinking.she's a bit miserable and that's to be expected and she wants lots of cuddles so she's nit her normal self.

Going to give her a shower in a little while and get some cream on her and tuck her up in bed to watch a film so she can just chill out.

Thanks again for asking xx

Obviously take doctors advice, and I dont know what kids can take, but I was told once when I burnt badly to take an Ibroprofen/Neurofen, as its an anti-inflmmatory. Maybe there is something similar for kids? I dont know how old she is and what she can take, but it may help?

Put the cream in the fridge too,

Hope she feels better soon!

Poor little love...hope she feels better soon.

Political correctness is going mad. I understand that teachers need to protect themselves, but surely they should be using a little common sense.

Colleen, my brother severely burned himself a few years back and my parents had to take him to A&E. They smothered his back in E45 cream and told us to keep it in the fridge and keep reapplying.

He was burned awfully with huge yellow blisters and now he doesn't even have a mark xx