Look at my poor little gal's sunburn from her school trip, I'm so angry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, have just read this thread and can't believe how the school let this happen.
Your poor little girl must have been in so much pain bless her.

How's she feeling today?

OMG

Ive just seen the photos poor little mite! I hope shes feeling better now? Ive signed that petition I dont have children but I do have a nephew and its soo silly!

I hope shes better soon

xx

If the school aren't interested I would suggest mentioning to them that you will be going to local/national press. This is exactly the sort of thing I would expect to read in the paper. Don't any of teachers on the trip have any common sense for gods sake ?

I can't understand why there is a law against applying sunscreen to a child at school. As you say they weren't allowed to take suncream with them then I would be speaking to the headteacher about this, I presume you have the letter or the name of the teacher that told you this so they won't be able to argue it.

Why can't they apply sunscreen at school but they do at nurseries and pre-school ? They do at my sons nursery and he wouldn't be going if they didn't.

Its also worth bearing in mind that a t-shirt only provides about spf 5 or around about that so they should still have put sunscreen underneath.

How's Billie? How did you get on at the school x x

My good friend who has a PhD in law says it is much more likely that the school would be successfully sued by a child who has been sunburnt than otherwise.

I think its pathetic my daughter came home from nursery when they were doing about India with a henna tattoo no permission slip or anything but yet they can't apply sun cream!

Hope she is feeling better now xx

Hi ladies Billie is doing ok she's still very sore still down in the dumps the burn is now very purple in colour :mad: bless her she has spent alot of time tucked up in her bed watching her favourit films she hasn't wanted to sit down stairs.

She's been in pjs since Tuesday nice soft ones so they don't scratch the burn.Billie has an awful cough again so I think lots of bed rest lots of nice treats to eat and favourit films.xxxx

So sorry to hear about your daughter it's terrible and not acceptable & hope she gets better soon.

I have just come back from lunch with a friend who is also a headmaster of a primary school which my son will be attending from September & expressed my concerns over the whole sun cream situation.

He was really shocked to hear that schools won't let sun cream in & teachers not helping to apply it to kids. He said that as long as parents were happy for them to do it then they would absolutely do it. He has a saying which he uses all the time "loco parentis" in the place of a parent which I think is fab & exactly how it should be.

He has put my mind at rest about my son starting at school & saddened me that not all schools are the same.

It's such a sad world we live in where everyone is a suspected child molester when actually they're such a tiny minority that spoil it for everyone else. Let's hope we can stop all this stupid pc nonsense & let people nurture & care for each other, children & adults alike, as we should do & not be scared of being accused of all sorts of nasty things.

Hope B starts to feel better soon. Please make sure you don't allow this to pass without making the school realise just what they have done by not allowing suncream to be taken to school and reapplied when needed. I'm sure your very busy and don't need the hassle but if they get away with this then many other children in the future may suffer the same or worse than B has this time.

I am shocked that they won't allow you to send in cream for them to at least apply themselves, my children's school send home letters asking for the children to have sun hats, cream and thin jackets to cover up ready for when the sun first shines in the summer lol, we have to send all these things in a backpack that then stays on the childs hanger and they help themselves to the hat & jacket but are asked to cream themselves & each other every few hours to ensure they don't go too long without it.

OMG....
-a lot of cold yoghurt-let it soak in as long as it stays on the skin-the best place to apply is sitting in the bathtube-its not so messy
-natural AloeVera-gel...in thick layers and repeat often-esp. through the night

-and a heavy talk to the teacher....whats the reason they are not allowed to take with them and/or put on sunblocker if necessary?....they cant be serious!!! :evil:

Oh poor little mite.... I have only just read this.

It's disgusting that the school did not keep her covered or apply sunblock. We are meant to feel,.... know even, that our children are safe and cared for while at school away from us.

I hope she gets better real soon xx

I will certainly not be letting this go I shall be writing a formal letter to the headmistess as none of the teachers are listening to me and also a letter with pictures attached to the local MP.

This is not a situation I am taking lightly at all I'm disgusted.This could have had serious concequences if she was out in the sun for another hour or so and I would feel awful if it happened to another child xxx

I'm sorry to hear this story and hope Billie is improving. I am astounded that the teachers could not see her reddening! Surely on a sunny day someone would be responsible for checking each child.. If it poured down would they have left her in her little top? No don't think so..

I understand about teachers unable to touch children with the way the world is for them these days-but I wrote a letter to my kids school giving them permission to make a decision that would prevent them suffering in any way whatsoever.

Hope you don't let it rest ! Keep taking photos so you know how long it takes to fully recover, for reference.

Take care both x

Hope B has a nice weekend, and feels much better, very soon.

May I suggest that you check that the school has entered her injury in the accidents' book.
Another way forward may be to ask for a meeting with one of your parent governors.

If I can help in any (school) way feel free to PM me xx

Christ, heard it all now, can't put sunscreen on??? my son is 7 and since reception I've been putting sunscreen on and sending one in with him at the start of every spring term to be kept at school. The younger ones are helped to reapply it before every breaktime and every lunchtime and whenever they spend any length of class time outside. At 7 he can apply it himself of course but they are there to help if needs be.

It just doesn't make sense, they cant touch a child, sorry but bollix! They see a child stepping out in front of a car, they grab them to ensure there safety, they see a child getting burned on a beach and they stand by and do nothing......

Let us know how you get on

xx

How is B now and did you get anywhere with the school afterwards? x