Lookimg fir advice for a Colour correction from white overlightened hair to a more natural blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been trying over a series of appointments to colour correct a clients hair that has been highlighted to a platinum blonde shade by another hairdresser. This is just with highlights no root tint and no toner.
I am trying to get it back to a natural buttery blonde. Slightly multitonal.
The difficulties I have is client has mainly white hair with a few fine greys hairline and parting.
To tint this can go no lighter than a 9.
Darker shade such as a level 6 underneath. Natural colour pigment has gone.
This area lifts with very warm tones Using a tint to shades level 7. I Can use a level 10 or 11 to lighten but causes ash tones to the white areas.
The clients dislikes any form of warm copper blonde tones.
I began with pre pigment using gold mixed with copper shades. Wella 8.34 plus 8/3 over an 99/0 root tiny to cover the natural white root. This worked well but still too warm for the client.
Left the underneath for a while to grow out.
Have used a variety of gold colour masks such as wella and trialing various Redken Demi' with gold shades within foils to gauge the different effects.
Then alternate appointments of root tint then highlighting through that with wella blonder and just 10vol peroxide. This give a lovely lift and shade on the root growth. But struggling to tone the old growing old white porous hair and create a "buttery blonde" which the client is after.
Im now thinking of putting a bright yellow semi on those whites to pre pigment before doing the rest of the colour as its so porous nothing is staying put.
The client is currently "trusting the process"
I can't cut the white hair out as growing for her wedding in July.
She was previously my client for years and sge had the perfect blonde until she went elsewhere. That's what we're trying to get back to.
I hope I have explained this OK and would be very grateful for any advice
Many thanks in advance
Sian

Hi all, I have been trying over a series of appointments to colour correct a clients hair that has been highlighted to a platinum blonde shade by another hairdresser. This is just with highlights no root tint and no toner.
I am trying to get it back to a natural buttery blonde. Slightly multitonal.
The difficulties I have is client has mainly white hair with a few fine greys hairline and parting.
To tint this can go no lighter than a 9.
Darker shade such as a level 6 underneath. Natural colour pigment has gone.
This area lifts with very warm tones Using a tint to shades level 7. I Can use a level 10 or 11 to lighten but causes ash tones to the white areas.
The clients dislikes any form of warm copper blonde tones.
I began with pre pigment using gold mixed with copper shades. Wella 8.34 plus 8/3 over an 99/0 root tiny to cover the natural white root. This worked well but still too warm for the client.
Left the underneath for a while to grow out.
Have used a variety of gold colour masks such as wella and trialing various Redken Demi' with gold shades within foils to gauge the different effects.
Then alternate appointments of root tint then highlighting through that with wella blonder and just 10vol peroxide. This give a lovely lift and shade on the root growth. But struggling to tone the old growing old white porous hair and create a "buttery blonde" which the client is after.
Im now thinking of putting a bright yellow semi on those whites to pre pigment before doing the rest of the colour as its so porous nothing is staying put.
The client is currently "trusting the process"
I can't cut the white hair out as growing for her wedding in July.
She was previously my client for years and sge had the perfect blonde until she went elsewhere. That's what we're trying to get back to.
I hope I have explained this OK and would be very grateful for any advice
Many thanks in advance
Sian
If the client dislikes copper tones, then 8/34+8/3 will be too warm.
Have a look at colour touch 9/36 + 1.9% it's not usually as warm as the swatch looks.
If 9/36 is still too light, mix 8/3 + 8/38 use pastel developer.
If you have enough gold in your formula and are you're not using a high developer then there's no need to pre pig when dropping 1 - 2 levels.

It may be the case that the hair is damaged beyond the point where it can hold on to colour.
If this is the case, then you could try wella colour fresh mask in golden gloss.

Latest posts

Back