Looking for advice with lightening on base 3-4

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi eveyone,
Im looking for some advice.
I'm a level 2-3.
I've been using KC(Keratin Colours) SuperLights 11.1+ 11.2 +Pearl Accent mix +20vol.
It usually throws a lot of gold, so twice a year I have foils to lighten up and cut out the brassiness.

Problem i'm encountering now is I have a lot of grey, which the tint doesn't cover so my colour looks really all over the place...brassy roots, foils growing out, and now a lot of greys.

Can anyone suggest another tint to use that will lighten enough but also cover grey.
I thought about not using a highlight tint and maybe going slightly darker, but again the problem with my base being dark, unless i use 30vol I won't be able to get any lift...and 30vol won't cover grey.

Sorry, but your post has really confused me.

I’m wondering why you chose to use a highlift tint with 20vol on such a dark base?
What level does it lift to?

You need to state percentage of grey as some tints cover 100%, others 75% etc.
Also, what are you trying to achieve? Level 6/8/etc?

Sorry, but your post has really confused me.

I’m wondering why you chose to use a highlift tint with 20vol on such a dark base?
What level does it lift to?

You need to state percentage of grey as some tints cover 100%, others 75% etc.
Also, what are you trying to achieve? Level 6/8/etc?
Hi sorry for the confusion.. my colour has always been confusing!
Have always wanted to be blonde without using bleach as I do it myself, and bleach is impossible to do on yourself without overlap and band marks.
I use 20 vol as 30 doesn’t seem to create anymore lift, just more brassiness. The tint lifts to about a 5-6.
I have about 30-40% grey and am aiming for an 8-9 with a pearl beige tone.

Last edited:
Are you a qualified hairdresser because surely you realise that tint is never going to lift you beyond 4 levels max and about 2 levels if you’re only using 20vol?

Do you understand what is meant by the lightening curve? This is why your hair is brassy.

You will NEVER get to an 8/9 from a 3 using tint. It has to be bleach.

Hi eveyone,
Im looking for some advice.
I'm a level 2-3.
I've been using KC(Keratin Colours) SuperLights 11.1+ 11.2 +Pearl Accent mix +20vol.
It usually throws a lot of gold, so twice a year I have foils to lighten up and cut out the brassiness.

Problem i'm encountering now is I have a lot of grey, which the tint doesn't cover so my colour looks really all over the place...brassy roots, foils growing out, and now a lot of greys.

Can anyone suggest another tint to use that will lighten enough but also cover grey.
I thought about not using a highlight tint and maybe going slightly darker, but again the problem with my base being dark, unless i use 30vol I won't be able to get any lift...and 30vol won't cover grey.
Hello,
I agree with AcidPerm. A highlift tint is generally used with 40 volume for maximum lift. Even then you'll get 4 - 5 levels of lift at the very most and if you are a base of 2 to 3 you are unlikely to achieve that much lift. If you want to achieve a level 8 or 9, you'll never get that with tint. You would need to bleach and tone or go for all over highlights.
Hope this helps

Are you a qualified hairdresser because surely you realise that tint is never going to lift you beyond 4 levels max and about 2 levels if you’re only using 20vol?

Do you understand what is meant by the lightening curve? This is why your hair is brassy.

You will NEVER get to an 8/9 from a 3 using tint. It has to be bleach.
Thanks,I am a qualified hairdresser. I have been one since 1989.
Yes I also know about the lightening curve.
Everyone pushes boundaries with colour and I know that tint only lightens 2 shades unless using a higher vol peroxide, the reason I don't use 40vol as would be recommended for highlift tints is because it is so damaging. As I colour it myself it's almost impossible not to overlap as I apply, therefore I chose to go the route of tint with 20vol and bleaching highlights to get further lift.
I know bleach is the only answer to get maximum lift, but with doing that presents another handful of problems, especially doing it myself.
So guess there are no other tints worth trying ,without using a 40vol and risking my hair breaking.

Hello,
I agree with AcidPerm. A highlift tint is generally used with 40 volume for maximum lift. Even then you'll get 4 - 5 levels of lift at the very most and if you are a base of 2 to 3 you are unlikely to achieve that much lift. If you want to achieve a level 8 or 9, you'll never get that with tint. You would need to bleach and tone or go for all over highlights.
Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply.
I do have the highlights done a few times a year to bring it up lighter, it's just that leaving it a few months in between and not using 40vol with a tint does create a lot of warmth.Maybe I'll just go darker and forget about being blonde LOL

LOL, Just a suggestion, but my sister decided to do just that. She is a base of around 4 and used to get it done blonde. Then we took it darker. We do a base with Matrix 7MA & 7N to cool the warmth and just do a highlight retouch approx every third time. So you get a gradual growing out balayage effect in between highlight application. Good luck 🙂

LOL, Just a suggestion, but my sister decided to do just that. She is a base of around 4 and used to get it done blonde. Then we took it darker. We do a base with Matrix 7MA & 7N to cool the warmth and just do a highlight retouch approx every third time. So you get a gradual growing out balayage effect in between highlight application. Good luck 🙂
Sounds like a plan 😊

Latest posts

Back