Looking into starting a mobile nail service business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gellish76

Reaction score
Hello fellow nail geeks.....
I have had the worse things at work happen last week. I am a self contractor at a upscale country club spa. I preform natural nail service on members and make 65% commission for the last 2 1/2 years that I have worked there, until now. My original boss was fired and and now they want to also screw the rest of us self contractors over. Not giving any time to prepare for the future conditions which include us going to a 9.00 hourly rate plus 20% commission. At this new rate it will be me losing out on more than :irked: half my income i was making before. So i have been very upset and hostile over it.... It just doesn't make sense to me :(
So while I have no choice to stay working there until a better paying job comes along. I have been trying to brain storm and see what I can do to make the same income as I was making before. We only offered manicures and pedicures at the spa i work in. I do not do artificial nails and never have. So I was thinking about maybe starting my own mobile nail service business in my city. I don't see any others advertised and thought it might be a great option? Does anyone have suggestions on what type of products to use for natural nails services offered in peoples homes? Like pedi tubs, stools, chairs mani table, towel warmers? small items that are portable and easy to carry around is what I am looking for. Please HELP.

hi , you have to be a little minimalistic when going mobile !
no towel warmers cause no room, a small fold away table unlsee they have a table you can use ! Just take what you need :)

Hi Gellish

I have my own mobile business 90% of my customers choose acrylic french tips you didn't say why you dont do artificial nails but maybe you should take a course because they're easy to do and the profit is fantastic:)

don't you find it a litlle frustrating when nearly every client wants a french lol !! i love doing glitter and colours !

Shes's right you know take a course in nails you won't be sorry :)

Hi Gellish

I have my own mobile business 90% of my customers choose acrylic french tips you didn't say why you dont do artificial nails but maybe you should take a course because they're easy to do and the profit is fantastic:)

Maybe 90% of your clients choose that service because that is what you offer and what you do.

It is quite possible to create a niche market doing only manicures and pedicures and natural nail services, if that is what you promote and what you do.

I do think it is a little unrealistic to say that nails is easy to do because they are not easy to do and the learning curve is a long one especially in the USA where to train can take months and months and gazillions of hours. No one can just snap their fingers and learn to do nails to the standard that the best clients demand.

Good luck with your idea .. I would think that office workers would jump at your services and despite your name, I think Shellac would be by far the easiest and quickest service to apply to those clients. Having used various coloured gel polishes and even though I have had good results with all of them as to lasting ... there is no doubt in my mind that Shellac is the easiest to apply, just like polish, no nail buffing, gorgeous long wear-ability and superior scratch resistant surface.

Shellac is also hypoallergenic and 3 free - a good selling point, especially as i have started to do a lot of teen nail parties - usually rockstar toes along with minx.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow ladies, thanks for the tips so far. I have done gel nails b4 buy in Colorado it is so dry and they seem to lift within a couple of days. I only like to do services I know my clients are gonna be 100% happy with. plus its takes me about 1 1/2 hours to do a set and rebase when the come back. I just dont want to offer and then have bad results. So for now I will only offer natural nails services. In the mean time at the spa I work at we use Harmony "GELLISH" polish which seems to be doing great in the sale since we intoduced it 6 weeks ago, I did plan on buying this system to use with my business. I have never used Shelac but have heard GREAT things about it.. but when we looked into it at work it was back ordered everytime we wanted to order it. :( so they supply company had told us about GELLISH and how it was the same concept. I do like the fact it has up to 48 colors to choose from. These new long lasting polishes are the new fad. I hope people will continue there excitement in them over the years.
anyways I have designed a Sample web site that I wanna use whenever I decide to get going with my business which will prolly take a month or 2... please take a look and let me know what you think about it so far? NAILS TO GO - Home please be honest I can take it. keep in mind this is only a sample as i have now told anyone about it.

hi , you have to be a little minimalistic when going mobile !
no towel warmers cause no room, a small fold away table unlsee they have a table you can use ! Just take what you need :)

What about a mini Crock pot to plug into car to warm while Driving?

Latest posts

Back