Looking to open a barbers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriss87

Reaction score
New to the site, hi everyone.

I'm trained in massage and waxing and I'm thinking of training to be a barber and opening a barbers,im after some advice.

Before training in massage and waxing I run restaurants for 15 years, do you think the customer care side is similar?

I'm looking at a big city with a large student base and lgbt village, my idea is to create a barbers/spa to cover a man's every need. Until lockdown I hadn't realised just how much looking good affected feeling good. And want to provide everything in one place. Do you think the demand is there for a male spa offering tanning/barber/waxing/tattoo/massage/piercing /facial hair grooming and if there's room 1on1 personal trainer gym?

Has anyone experience of the London school of barbering? I'm thinking of doing there intensive 12 week beginner to master barber level 3 course.

Sorry is a long one and thanks for reply in advance.

Hi there,
Well first of all well done for having a goal of where you want to be. Were you planning to open the shop quite soon after qualifying or get some experience as a barber first? As the owner you will be seen by clients and staff eg juniors as the most experienced barber, so need to be confident in providing every service. I think I speak for all professionals when I say that half of your skills come from experience, not initial training. So I would suggest to to do your training then get a job in a barbers for a year or two where you can hone your skills. Then go for it and open your Barber shop. If not and you are planning to open right away, then maybe think about hiring another barber with lots of experience to work with you and provide that safety net we all needed whilst we were finding our feet.

I personally worked in a salon for a couple of years during/after training and only after that did I take the plunge and go freelance. That first year or two you definitely need to be able to work on a variety of clients with the backup of more experienced hairdressers. Even when I was made a full stylist after being junior stylist it was comforting to know I could always bounce things off my boss who'd been hairdressing for about 40/50yrs if I needed to. It definitely set me up for being my own boss and having to make those decisions on a daily basis with no saftey net.

All the best ☺

Of course, I'd be looking at having a head barber and focusing on the massage and waxing myself. But I want to be trained in each aspect of the offer!

The one thing to consider from a male point of view is I don't think I'd get my haircut the same place I go for a massage. It's different environments by a long way.

Yea I liked that I could get everything done I wanted too in one place when I visited a barbers in Spain. Things would be of different floors to add a feel of different business. And would only be done if showers etc could be installed.

For me it's about changing perception, if you can get it done in one place and it's guys only it takes away some feminine as pacts.

I do hairdressing barbering and all beauty therapy I have my own salon and beauty rooms but we have kept the decor fairly gender neutral but one of the therapy rooms is more masculine than the other

I do hairdressing barbering and all beauty therapy I have my own salon and beauty rooms but we have kept the decor fairly gender neutral but one of the therapy rooms is more masculine than the other
Do you find that male clients prefer this?has it helped trade?

Latest posts

Back