Loose Nail Enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol at CottageNails

Reaction score
:( Her I am again requesting advice. I appear to be having problems with nail tip adhesion, its not just the application of the tip thats causing problems, it is the whole enhancement that is coming off after a few days, but it comes off in one complete piece which looks like a full false nail. I have done all the correct prep previous to aplying the tip and liquid and powder, ie: nailfresh if oily nailplate, scrubfresh and primer before L and P application. I am now ready for throwing the towel in. Could anyone out there please help or advise where I may be going wrong. Thankyou. CAROL (The Cottage)

walk us through EXACTLY what you do from the moment you start to finish. Number each step 1, 2, 3 etc...Use the client with the problems you mentioned as your step-by-step and BE HONEST. It doesn't matter if you made a mistake but at least we can rectify it! ;)

Step 1 File free edge to fit tip
Step 2 Wipe each nail plate with scrubfresh using a scrubbing motion to ensure nailplate is oil free.
Step 3 Use nailfresh also to de-hydrate nail plate.
Step 4 Apply tip (velocity)
Step 5 I then use primer ( blue bottle)
Step 6 Apply liquid and powder.
Step 7 Shape enhancement, apply solar oil and buff to a shine.

As this is the procedure I use on every client, it does not affect every client, but it has happened to the last two clients. It once happened to another of my clients who also suffered with a lot of lifting, so while at the G-Mex this year I spoke to one of the educators on the Creative stand who advised that provided I had prept correctly and still had this problem, she suggested I try the use of Nailfresh, this I purchased immediately, used on my client on her next appointment and brilliant results were achieved. But it would appear that this problem is repeating itself with my last two clients. I am very worried as I hate the feeling of not doing my job properly and feel a little embarassed as I am quite new to the nail industry and trying to get my own business of the ground, I feel this is a major problem. Thankyou for your prompt reply and interest.

Carol.

Hiya Carol,
Hope you dont mind me jumping in here but, as I completed my CFC very recently - PREP is freshly imprinted on my brain ;)
I dont know if you just missed adding this in your post or are missing it in your proecdure but, I saw no mention of cuticle remover or the removal of shine from the nail plate ... are you missing this vital step?

Hi Carol,

The other thing I noticed was that you did not Scrubfresh after applying the tip.

If you think how many times you will touch the nail possibly whilst blending, cutting and shaping the tip. Also you must use scrubfresh after Nailfresh to leave behind those pathogen fighters in the Scrubfresh.

Hope this helps.

Fiona has said exactly what I was going to - once tips have been applied and blended, it is imperative to remove that dust and oil AGAIN before application of product. If you need to MAX PREP with all three products after that point - then you must Nailfresh first, then Scrubfresh then Primer. Most (unless they have to) use just Scrubfresh. HTH's ;)

:D I would like to thank Mrs.Geek(Super Geek) Gloria at Glorsclaws, Fiona at Naturalnails for all there help in replying to my problem, I will now nailfresh, scrubfresh and prime for Britain an will let you know how I have scored. Once again thankyou girls.

Speak Soon

Carol Boothroyd - The Cottage.

I have to say here before everyone starts getting all confused, that all that is necessary 99.9% of the time is to do a normal P.R.E.P. as you have been taught using only ScrubFresh for your sanitising and dehydrating.

All these other products (acid free primer and NailFresh) are simply not normally necessary! If you have to employ all those products every time and with every client, then you have other issues that are causing your problems.

Make sure the nail is clean and dry before you apply any product - this also means that the nail should not be wet with too many products prior to the application. If your problem still persists after doing a good thorough and normal PREP , then I would look carefully at your application technique.

Remember that Retention+ is a primerless liquid sculpting monomer because it does not need primer to help it to adhere to the nail plate. Acid-free primer was introduced to help out in extreme cases and not meant to be used as the norm.

Is anyone else confused with this?

Hi geeg thankyou for your advise and helpful information. I have taken this on board and must admit I am wondering if it was anything to do with my application of product. Could it be too wet or maybe I am applying to much product, I do struggle around the cuticle area. What do you think? I much appreciate your help. I am a one man band so dont have anyone else to discuss this problem with, and I am now just getting my own business of the ground since September, But these problems are a worry.
Once again a big THANKYOU

Carol - The Cottage.

My opinion is that it is technique that is causing your problems. Could be too much product (normal for ones new to nails), could be too wet product or too dry product but I think you are not pressing firmly enough and getting complete control of the beads. So ......

Here are some useful application technique tips:

When you look down the barrel of the nail at the free edge. The product in Zone 1 (the white) should look just like a 'crescent moon' - in other words, thin at the sides building to a middle point and then tapering off again.

This is achieved by placing your bead - pressing the bead firmly out and up into the corners to form your 'smile', and then always finishing off by stroking gently from the sides to the center and keeping the 'flat' side of your brush always facing the 'curve of the nail. This encourages the product to stay thin at the sides and to build in the centre. This zone should not be thick in any sense though; it definitely makes it difficult to get a nice shape from the side view if you work with too much product in zone 1.

The apex or zone2 (stress area). (on a medium length nail)

Don't think you have to add massive amounts of product here to build some huge sort of apex! The bead of product only needs to be slightly larger than your zone one bead. Again, place the bead and press firmly out to the side and smooth gently back to the middle before pressing out to the other side and smoothing back towards the middle. If there looks like there is too much product at this point, press the bead back towards zone 3 to distribute it more thinly. The thing that will make it the most difficult for you to achieve a nice shape is by working with too much product in zone2 and leaving a large ridge before zone 3 (The cuticle area). My rule to students is, to never let your zone 2 bead cover more than half the nailplate. By doing this, it leaves you lots of room for the zone 3 bead to be applied and nicely smoothed into zone 2.

Zone 3 is completed by placing your final bead on the line of the completed zone 2, and pressing firmly BACK towards the cuticle. Press out all of the bead into this area firmly and then smooth gently with nice long brush strokes over the whole enhancement (from side to centre from both sides) to blend all 3 zones together.

I hope you can follow this and that it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back