Loose/natural perm ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
Hello hair geeks...I have long straight hair, not in the best condition as I use straighteners everyday! Sick of my boring hair...been trying to grow all my layers and fringe out for the past few months to sort of start again with something...I want something different but still keep the length...

I absolutely love that long natural looking loose curl...like Maria on coronation street!
So I was wondering is it possible to get your hair permed like this...I dont want to end up with a tight curled granny perm lol but a natural looking loose curl maybe that doesnt make my hair spring up above my ear ole! I dont even know if it would suit me but really want a change! x

Hi hun! Firstly if your hair is in poor condition the LAST thing you want to be considering is a perm..it will only further damage your hair even if skillfully done! Secondly I often wear my hair in long loose curls like Maria's and have found curling with the straightening irons the best way to acheive it!
Good Luck with whatever you decide xxx

Hi hun! Firstly if your hair is in poor condition the LAST thing you want to be considering is a perm..it will only further damage your hair even if skillfully done! Secondly I often wear my hair in long loose curls like Maria's and have found curling with the straightening irons the best way to acheive it!
Good Luck with whatever you decide xxx

The condition of my hair isnt terrible but the ends are quite dry from straightening.

I have tried curling with straighteners and not sure if theres some nak to it cos I dont have much luck...some bits will curl and others just wont lol...plus I have so much hair it would take me all day then im not sure it wouldnt just fall out really quick as well, ok thanx for your help x

I am not a pro hair geek, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I have been asking around for years on how to achieve these curls and I have been told that its not possible to achieve such curls with a regular perm. I have been trying to make my hair look this for years, curls like this is usually styled with a curling tong or straightening iron.

Having said that though, I do know of a new way of perming which is called digital perm which can achieve this look. Digital perm does not use regular rollers like regular perms, it consists of a very special machine which uses current instead of chemical to perm the hair. The machine looks like this:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/mbdg/process1.jpg

On the left is a regular perm with regular rollers and on the left is a digital perm machine.

Here are the results:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/mbdg/hair_results.jpg

Again, on the left is what a regular perm look like and on the right is done by a digital perm.

I did start a thread about it a very long time ago but have had no replys, I guess no one here knows about it or has enough experience to make a comment.

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/52311-digital-perm.html

Unfortunely, this type of perming and perming machine is rarely seen England, although I do know of some Asian salons which has it, but how well they can use it is a different story.

Digital perming is like the Yuko straightening system, you will get amazing results and it does what it says but only if used by an experienced stylist.

I am not a pro hair geek, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I have been asking around for years on how to achieve these curls and I have been told that its not possible to achieve such curls with a regular perm. I have been trying to make my hair look this for years, curls like this is usually styled with a curling tong or straightening iron.

Having said that though, I do know of a new way of perming which is called digital perm which can achieve this look. Digital perm does not use regular rollers like regular perms, it consists of a very special machine which uses current instead of chemical to perm the hair. The machine looks like this:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/mbdg/process1.jpg

On the left is a regular perm with regular rollers and on the left is a digital perm machine.

Here are the results:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/mbdg/hair_results.jpg

Again, on the left is what a regular perm look like and on the right is done by a digital perm.

I did start a thread about it a very long time ago but have had no replys, I guess no one here knows about it or has enough experience to make a comment.

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/52311-digital-perm.html

Unfortunely, this type of perming and perming machine is rarely seen England, although I do know of some Asian salons which has it, but how well they can use it is a different story.

Digital perming is like the Yuko straightening system, you will get amazing results and it does what it says but only if used by an experienced stylist.

sounds interesting ive never heard of it either but then im not a hairdresser lol, so how do you achieve your curls...have you tried a perm? x

sounds interesting ive never heard of it either but then im not a hairdresser lol, so how do you achieve your curls...have you tried a perm? x

I have tried a regular perm but it never comes out the way I want it to be.. so now I just use curling tongs to achieve the look. My hairdresser has given me a very good cut with many many layers so curling it only takes 5 mins each morning if that.

When I go back to South East Asia then i will get a digital perm done. It is widely available and many stylist are experienced in using it. I think it is still too risky getting it done here even though I know of places to go, I don't think they are experienced enough to use the machine and leaves the hair very dry.

all my friends and i had digital perms done in the 80 s . to be honest thou ,the looser ones to produce big curls ,again like conventional perming gave a result like wet seaweed or a floppy piece of lettace . dont let technology fool you .

all my friends and i had digital perms done in the 80 s . to be honest thou ,the looser ones to produce big curls ,again like conventional perming gave a result like wet seaweed or a floppy piece of lettace . dont let technology fool you .

I'm not so sure...

If your experience is in the 80s then it is nearly 20 years ago, which is plenty of time for technology to improve.

I have personally seen fantastic results by using the digital perm machine and it does exactly what it says it does - loose defined curls - providing you are experienced enough to use it.

This method is widely available in South East Asia and thousands have already had this done. Surely if this method ruins your hair then it would've been phased out long time ago..??

This discussion is beginning to turn like the Yuko straightening system. The Yuko Straightening system really does works and so does this digital perm method. Why is it that people can't accept something that is new and truely works..? or is it because it wasn't invented at this side of the world so it is too good to be true for everyone to accept...?

May I dare to ask if anyone on here has been trained and is experienced enough to have actually used either of these systems in order for them to comment evidently instead of making such negative assumptions..??

Last edited:
no , i checked out the tech and its the same , just thinking thou ,maybe its good on asian or oriental hair? maybe it didnt take off over here because so many fine mousy heads of hair

no , i checked out the tech and its the same , just thinking thou ,maybe its good on asian or oriental hair? maybe it didnt take off over here because so many fine mousy heads of hair

Or maybe it hasn't taken off here because no one has knowledge of it.

The Yuko took 10 years to arrive in England, and stylist here are still struggling in using it correctly. By the time it came to England, I have had 6 Yuko treatments done on my hair continously for 6 years.

It will work on mousey fine hair, the art of using these systems to tailor it to each and every individual hair type, which is the reason why you need plenty of experience to maximise the benefits of these methods. There is no 'one way fits all' - if you know what I mean.

I am not a stylist, but I have very close friends who are and knows these methods, unfortunely because of the language barrier, they are not able to come on this forum and answer any questions, which makes this very frustrating. so therefore I can only transfer the information and explain all that I can.

Last edited:
Or maybe it hasn't taken off here because no one has knowledge of it.

The Yuko took 10 years to arrive in England, and stylist here are still struggling in using it correctly. By the time it came to England, I have had 6 Yuko treatments done on my hair continously for 6 years.

It will work on mousey fine hair, the art of using these systems to tailor it to each and every individual hair type, which is the reason why you need plenty of experience to maximise the benefits of these methods. There is no 'one way fits all' - if you know what I mean.

I am not a stylist, but I have very close friends who are and knows these methods, unfortunely because of the language barrier, they are not able to come on this forum and answer any questions, which makes this very frustrating. so therefore I can only transfer the information and explain all that I can.

Hi sounds really good, as the very first perms that came out were electric current ones too,

here is a link , File:Icall Machine 1920.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am all for new systems and beautiful curls and beautiful straightening

but most professional hairdressers
usually have to rely upon the Wholesalers or the manufactures
to introduce and show us any new systems that are available,
and they usually provide all the training that goes with the new product,

I havent
heard of it over here in any of the major suppliers,
so perhaps its an overseas product / supplier ?
sounds really good though and i think it would take off especially if there was really good training to go with the product ,

the translation and training barrier is the point where it gets a bit more tricky and more expensive to introduce it over here ,

all it may need is a good marketing plan,

If it is a good product it should make it over here as I am sure people would love that naturally curly look like on the photos
I know I would,

how close can it get to the scalp ? :hug:

Hi sounds really good, as the very first perms that came out were electric current ones too,

here is a link , File:Icall Machine 1920.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am all for new systems and beautiful curls and beautiful straightening

but most professional hairdressers
usually have to rely upon the Wholesalers or the manufactures
to introduce and show us any new systems that are available,
and they usually provide all the training that goes with the new product,

I havent
heard of it over here in any of the major suppliers,
so perhaps its an overseas product / supplier ?
sounds really good though and i think it would take off especially if there was really good training to go with the product ,

the translation and training barrier is the point where it gets a bit more tricky and more expensive to introduce it over here ,

all it may need is a good marketing plan,

If it is a good product it should make it over here as I am sure people would love that naturally curly look like on the photos
I know I would,

how close can it get to the scalp ? :hug:

Hello Minky, its me here again trying to stir up trouble... :smack::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That picture of the first current machine is very insteresting.. and very funny..!! Thanks for that link.

You are correct, the manufacturers of the new digital machine are from overseas, some of my friends who have this machine in their salons have had them imported over from South East Asia. One of my friends have had the machine for 3 months and is still struggling with using it properly. Following the manufacturer's instructions is just not enough. Unfortunely, like the Yuko, you need to use it on many people first in order to master the technique.

Its difficult to know if this machine will take off here even if the manufacters gave it a good marketing plan. The yuko is a prime example of how things can go wrong. A product which is very good has had very negative responses over here purely because it wasn't used correctly. If it takes, for example, 3 months to master the technique of using this machine, then that is 3months of unsatisfied customers reviews.

This machine, in a way, is related to the Yuko Straightening. It shares the same theory which is why it is able to create shiny soft curls. There are three stages with using the Yuko; ( sorry, I'm not techinical hair wise so I have to explain in simple terms)

1. relaxing the hair
2. straightening with irons
3. applying chemical to substain the look.

With the digital machine, you swap the straightening irons at second stage with the digital machine to create the curls. As to what kind of chemicals they use in order to keep the curls shiny and define, I don't really know.

In regards to how close this machine can get to the scalp, I have never seen or heard of anyone bringing it close to the scalp, the reason being is that, this machine was designed to create soft defined tumbling curls, which means no one ever asks for the curls to start from the top but always about 2/3 down from the scalp. The main feature of the whole overall look is at the bottom of the hair.

Last edited:
Hi , I have done some research on curling hair extensions and how they put the lovely curls into human hair wefts and pieces using special cabinets,
available only from overseas,

its a lot easier to produce these beautiful curls when the hair has been cut off and can be simply placed in a cabinet,

but when it is still on a persons head a lot more care and time is involved as its not just the hair we are taking care of anymore :lol: :hug: ,

I guess what I am asking is
do you know is this curling method the same in principal as the curling cabinets ?

me thinks u loose the plot..... watching a soap and liking the hair !!!!
My suggestion is break the mold and loose the length.... go for a shoulder length bob... new look... new u....:confused:

me thinks u loose the plot..... watching a soap and liking the hair !!!!
My suggestion is break the mold and loose the length.... go for a shoulder length bob... new look... new u....:confused:

new curls.....new look....no? lol

Latest posts

Back