Lopsided natural nails ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
I was doing a mates nails last night , and noticed she had lopsided nails on her forefingers and middle fingers ,
This was apparent on the whole nail , as if the whole nail was tilted,
Now as I have not done nails for a while,I had forgotten how common this was ,
What would you say would be the best method to correct this ,
I was going to sculpt, but she had her sister in law and her baby, so decided to do tip and overlay as she had no free edge at all , I thought this would be my quicker option,

so I was thinking about it last night , and thought , when I applied the tips, they also tilted to one side ,
if I had stuck the tips lower to straighten up, she would have had less pink on these nails , which would have looked odd,
but if I had sculpted them , the form would have tilted to the side too ,
so would that have been harder to do?

It wasn't "that" noticeable, but one of those little things that annoyed me all night xx

what would you have done to correct this ?

I remember one of the first clients I ever had had the wonkiest middle fingernails ever. I didnt really notice until the tip was on and she put her hand down and the middle tip almost crossed over the one next to it.

I dont know what the "Official" method is for correcting this so I removed the tip and applied it straight to the finger instead of the nail and it looked much better.

I have alot of clients with wonky nails so will be watching this thread for some great answers on how to sort this problem out.

Rachel xxxx

I remember one of the first clients I ever had had the wonkiest middle fingernails ever. I didnt really notice until the tip was on and she put her hand down and the middle tip almost crossed over the one next to it.

I dont know what the "Official" method is for correcting this so I removed the tip and applied it straight to the finger instead of the nail and it looked much better.

I have alot of clients with wonky nails so will be watching this thread for some great answers on how to sort this problem out.

Rachel xxxx

I think rachel has it spot on there, I was told when working with wonky nails to always line the tip up with the finger not with the free egde, I don't think you'll ever get it 100% but it can be disguised greatly

just some food for thought....but i thinks its sometimes to do with writing...we must spend months if not years during our lifetime writing....hold a pen now and see how it sits on the middle finger (the one thats rude when lifted)...that nail grows different to the others...i always get a spot if lifting there and i have terrible tough cuticle skin there.....seen it so many time on clients.

what do you think...?

just some food for thought....but i thinks its sometimes to do with writing...we must spend months if not years during our lifetime writing....hold a pen now and see how it sits on the middle finger (the one thats rude when lifted)...that nail grows different to the others...i always get a spot if lifting there and i have terrible tough cuticle skin there.....seen it so many time on clients.

what do you think...?

I too had tough cuticle just on the one side of the middle finger on right hand where my pen must have rested for what seemed like a lifetime:eek: I only just realised why (Dear me, what a dumbass)

Rachel xx

what do you think...?

Not sure about that Angie, as I'm right handed but both my index and middle fingers are wonkey. More so on the left, even!

Not sure about that Angie, as I'm right handed but both my index and middle fingers are wonkey. More so on the left, even!

not saying its the case for everyone...or even that this is the reason for it...just thinking out loud.....and speaking from my own experiences.:green:

Maybe someone else can shed more light on to what they think the cause may be. x

Yes! My mum has that and whenever she models for me her middle nail looks wonky. Both my lecturer and my mum understand that it is not the acrylic application that looks wonky, it is the way her nail is shaped. My lecturer said it is one of the most common problems you will come across and most clients understand it's just the way it is.

I'd love to find out if/how this could be helped, though.

what do you think...?
thats a bloomin good thought matey xxxxx

I think rachel has it spot on there, I was told when working with wonky nails to always line the tip up with the finger not with the free egde, I don't think you'll ever get it 100% but it can be disguised greatly

Absolutely....the tip or form should be lined up straight to the finger not the free edge....otherwise by adding extra length you are just going to exaggerate the problem not enhance the nail.

As for the slightly squeuwiff middle finger...I always tell clients with this that they either got a lot of lines to do at school or were a swot!!! As I do think it is to do with holding a pen in our formative years!! IMHO
I obviously was a swot and that is why my nails are a bit off!!!:)

On my middle finger I have a writing bump and the nail appears to have a shorter side wall on one side than the other. When I tip this I file the free edge to look like a normal nail would then add the tip straight. For some reason this nail always looks shorter than the others but isn't noticable when cb'd x x x

what do you think...?

this was mentioned in a thread quite some time ago
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/31213-middle-finger.html

i tend to go with the flow of the natural nail as much as i can, if you build one side thicker to compensate often the thicker side will lift

As for the slightly squeuwiff middle finger...I always tell clients with this that they either got a lot of lines to do at school or were a swot!!! As I do think it is to do with holding a pen in our formative years!! IMHO
I obviously was a swot and that is why my nails are a bit off!!!:)

Well I must have been a very lazy good girl, cos all of mine are dead straight!:lol:
Very informative thread, as I've seen a fair few peeps with this. Thanks for the info.:hug:

what do you think...?

funny you say that - i've hard a hard cuticle problem on my middle finger of my right hand, right where my pen sits now you have pointed it out, and yes its wonky too!! xx

not saying its the case for everyone...or even that this is the reason for it...just thinking out loud.....and speaking from my own experiences.:green:

Maybe someone else can shed more light on to what they think the cause may be. x

Oh, sorry chick! Just read all through this post and realised you meant a thickening of the skin on that middle finger, not just wonkiness! lol....need to read the whole thing before I type :o . I know what you mean now, sorry hun. Some people have a thickened inner nail fold on their middle finger which I suppose could cause the nail to become mis-shaped. Gotcha.:)
For all those peeps who have it....don't hold your pens so hard!!

No wonkiness for me but I do have the hard skin on the sidewall/cuticle of the right hand. A good theory.

I have a couple of clients with badly crooked fingers, one is so bad (and it grows in a claw, just that one finger where she had an accident with it when she was a kid) that it is impossible to make it look exactly like the other 9 but I have a damned good go and she's happy! :green:

I'd take off as much of the free edge as possible and sculpt it on, if it's only a little bit wonky it is possible to deceive the eye completely. hth xx

when I have a client like this with wonkey finger .....(or even me ....I have a few).....I apply a tip going the opposite direction of the tilt.....it lessens the look and makes it 'appear ' straighter.....or if I sculpt I make the nail go the oposite way like with the tip......makes the client happy that they have a nail that 'looks' normal....

when I have a client like this with wonkey finger .....(or even me ....I have a few).....I apply a tip going the opposite direction of the tilt.....it lessens the look and makes it 'appear ' straighter.....or if I sculpt I make the nail go the oposite way like with the tip......makes the client happy that they have a nail that 'looks' normal....

Exactly. Nicely put! :hug:

Latest posts

Back