L'Oreal mythic oil & spatulas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellishairbeauty

Reaction score
Hiya 2 questions in 1 thread.

My whole saler has recently started retailing mythic oil. Can i have some pros and cons please. Shall i invest?

Also i recently done some maternity cover for a friend in her salon, its finished now, All of the stylists used spactuals. It seems they are foiling 1 colour and maybe doing the second colour with the spactula? Is it used for only darker colours rather than lightening products? How to you stop bleeding? Do some of you use 2 different spactulas for 2 different colours on the same head, thus not even using any foil? Is it a popular thing to use, ive never been taught and never used on in salons ive worked in.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards, Ellis :)

Attachments

• 1417121698683.jpg
    1417121698683.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 1417122149650.jpg
    1417122149650.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 201
Hiya 2 questions in 1 thread.

My whole saler has recently started retailing mythic oil. Can i have some pros and cons please. Shall i invest?

Also i recently done some maternity cover for a friend in her salon, its finished now, All of the stylists used spactuals. It seems they are foiling 1 colour and maybe doing the second colour with the spactula? Is it used for only darker colours rather than lightening products? How to you stop bleeding? Do some of you use 2 different spactulas for 2 different colours on the same head, thus not even using any foil? Is it a popular thing to use, ive never been taught and never used on in salons ive worked in.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't tried the mythic oil It looks too runny for my liking I like a really thick oil, the spatula would generally be used to apply a colour (any colour) between the foils to break up the block blonde look mainly, I've never used it for a lightening product but I suppose you could but you'd need to make sure it was really saturated to avoid patchiness. When you use it between say bleach foils and were going to use 2 different colours like a red and a brown in alternating every other in between foil then yes I would use a separate spatch for each colour, otherwise it'll mix. you wouldn't be able to do a whole head tho with just a spatch? The bleach/ tint would mix in with the 2nd colour.

I find it a great time saver when foiling and you'll get different results if you spatch every 1, every other, or every 3rd

I do a lot of this in between foils, we call it natualising, to break up the highlights. After finishing all the foils, we go through say every 2-3 foils and using a demi to replace their natural colour, just apply a fine ammount so it doesn't run, and you don't really need to put it on the natural roots.

I did a course recently where I used the balayage paddle to create more of a foiled result by weaving as normal, using lighter and placing cotton under the section to stop it bleading but I haven't used it in the salon since. But it was quicker than folding foils.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was taught spatula for tint only not lightening because it expands :)

I've never used spatulas either.. so say I did full head bleach foils.. would I use a spatula to do lowlights inbetween?

Do you saturate from root to tip? saturate at the roots feathering out towards the ends? use two colours feathering from for example a 7 top half and 7+8 on the ends?

Am I on the right track!?

I love a bit of spatch.

Thank u all for your comments. I think i was confused as alot of my clients have foils and theb root flood inbetween each foil. So this would be great for blones (lighter colours) spatch some different tones to break up block colours. It basically adds different tones. Im excited to use this.
A few more questions sorry....
for subtle a effect weave the section and spatch it and for more noticable effects slice the section and spatch it?
Or is there generally only 1 way you would do it?

Also would it work if , my mom for example......

Has naturally 90% grey and 10% 7.1
Usually has foils 8.3 and 7.3, ratio 1:1 and then flooded with 9.3

Should i foil the 7.3 flood the roots with 9.3 then spatch 8.3

Or

Foil the 7.3 spatch the 8.3 then flood the 9.3 or have i got it completely wrong?

Thanks for your time x

You could do foil flood then spatch but generally a spatch is used when your not flooding the root area

I think if you are adding darker lowlights into a lighter base, then I wouldn't use a spatula because your roots will be lighter than the lengths and ends of the lowlight, and I personally try to always keep the roots the darkest if anything. If it was the other way round e.g. her root was 7.3, you could use the spatuala to blend the root into a lighter 8.3 that would look nice.

Another thing it is good for is when you have someone that has a lot of blonde foils, but some of the ends need cleaning up, you wouldn't want to take the lightener though in the foils but you could go in with your spatuala and lighten up some of the ends to take out any brassiness.

By the way when I say spatula i mean just a flat balayage paddle rather then those ones with the teeth on the end, don't they get in the way?

I think if you are adding darker lowlights into a lighter base, then I wouldn't use a spatula because your roots will be lighter than the lengths and ends of the lowlight, and I personally try to always keep the roots the darkest if anything. If it was the other way round e.g. her root was 7.3, you could use the spatuala to blend the root into a lighter 8.3 that would look nice.

Another thing it is good for is when you have someone that has a lot of blonde foils, but some of the ends need cleaning up, you wouldn't want to take the lightener though in the foils but you could go in with your spatuala and lighten up some of the ends to take out any brassiness.

I understand now! Thank u every1! Xxx

By the way when I say spatula i mean just a flat balayage paddle rather then those ones with the teeth on the end, don't they get in the way?

No they don't get in the way, I always assumed they distributed the colour more evenly, I never colour roots with it tho I literally use it to give an effect of a subtitle break up of block blonde with more intense results the more often you use it, if I needed the root area to be the spatch colour I would flood instead

Latest posts

Back