L'Oreal platinum paste, how long does it last?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiatia22

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in trying the loreal platinium paste. How many applications of balayage roughly would you get out of a tub? I know it depends on length/ thickness. Just a rough guide. And is it worth the price?
tried on dolly head balayage with loreal freehand, blondor and igora vario blonde bleach. Blondor looked the best but worried incase it touches other hair.
Many thanks. X

Platinium is a great product....but it is quite pricey!
L'Oreal's Studio blonde (white powder), is fab for free hand and more reasonably priced.
I still stock Platinium, but only use on a select few clients who appreciate its value!:cool:

I tried the loreal freehand bleach but it hardly showed up compared to the other bleaches, maybe I didn't have ratio correct. X

I tried the loreal freehand bleach but it hardly showed up compared to the other bleaches, maybe I didn't have ratio correct. X
Most clay based lighteners need 40 vol and about an hour to process... From reading. Not experience

I did use 40 vol. And left on an hour , but it was so subtle I could hardly see it. Blondor lifted lovely but with it not been clay based it worries me it might splodge onto other hair.

I did use 40 vol. And left on an hour , but it was so subtle I could hardly see it. Blondor lifted lovely but with it not been clay based it worries me it might splodge onto other hair.
I would assume you didn't saturate enough?

You could Foilage? So balayage but isolate in a foil?
Or use wrap?

Yes it would be lighter in wraps/ foils just wanted to get better and more confident at free hand painting.

Did you measure the bleach with scales?

No I didn't as I only used a little to see results. Do you think that's the trouble? Do you like the loreal freehand hand bleach Adam?

@tiatia22 Yes you really need to meaure it out in grams to get the ratio right especially since it is such a fine power. When you first start to whisk it seems like its only powder in the bowl, then it will turn riddiculously thick and clumpy and finally to a smooth paste that you can work with. It really sticks to the hair so you can lay a nice thick layer "icing" of the product onto the hair to get maximum lift.

What ratio do you find is best Adam?

Platinium is a thick paste, so will need a good old mix, and you will probably need to add more oxidant, as it can go 'solid' after the initial mix!:oops:
Up your oxidant for all open air work, I usually use 40 vol as I include OLAPLEX.
Insulate with foam wraps or cling film to keep from drying out,.....and put plenty on....
Remember, this technique 'skims' the TOP SURFACE of a hair.
You are not saturating the WHOLE CIRCUMFERENCE of that hair.
You are not 'containing' the hair within a foil or mech, as in a traditional highlight, so will be more subtle as a result.:)

@tiatia22 freehand tech is 1:1.5 ratio. For platinium I go with about 1:1 or 1:1.5. Platinium will lift more than freehand powder, although the powder is probably easier to work with. Also - everything that @RED STAR said! I normally use cling film unless going for something softer.

The hair on most dolls heads are coated in silicone. You can't really judge a product based on how it turns out on a dolls head.

@tiatia22 Yes you really need to meaure it out in grams to get the ratio right especially since it is such a fine power. When you first start to whisk it seems like its only powder in the bowl, then it will turn riddiculously thick and clumpy and finally to a smooth paste that you can work with. It really sticks to the hair so you can lay a nice thick layer "icing" of the product onto the hair to get maximum lift.
thank you everyone for all your help, I will try again xx

Latest posts

Back