Losing clients after maternity leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KNM2016

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just looking for some advice/pick me up really.

I left to have my little one last December, at that point I considered myself to have a pretty solid and loyal client base (most clients had been coming to me for 2-5 years). When it came to me leaving they all asked me not to stay off too long because they would miss me and didn't want to go anywhere else. They all brought me presents and messaged me when my baby was born. This gave me so much confidence that when I returned I would come back to my loyal customers.

However 10 weeks later I decided to go back to work slowly. I text all my clients, immediately clients started texting back. However that's when I realised certain 'loyal' clients were ignoring my texts. However some clients did message saying they could attend the days I was doing, which is fine, obviously. Fast forward to around 2 months later. I upped my hours again thinking this will boost my client base abit more and I will get some more of my 'loyal' clients back, which it didn't.

So I'm sitting here writing this today with a complete confidence knock. I have always put 110% into my work, charged the least I could so I was giving my clients the best for the best prices. Unfortunately now because babies are expensive and there is so many outgoings with a baby and also being self-employed I don't have the time to build up my clients again. Which really only gives me the option of going mobile but also getting a job too.

I love my job more than anything in the world. And it upsets me more than anything that I missed out on time with my baby because I came back so early, for most of my clients not to return. I will never get that time back with them :(

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what you had to do if you did

Any advice or kind words would be helpful right now. Sorry for the long post!

Thanks x

Me and my partner want children and I worry about this sooo much. The one time you really need support from clients and you probably won’t get it. I know it’s hard (and I suffer from anxiety which makes things even bigger) but try not to take it personally, ppl do what’s convenient for them, it’s nothing to do with your work. Concentrate on trying to build some new clients (only offer worth doing is recommend a friends). Maybe go to baby groups and get take leaflets to mums, say baby is welcome so they don’t need to find a sitter? Don’t sell yourself short. Charge what you are worth not charge the least for your clients. (I’m learning that one fast). Don’t be hard on yourself about leaving little one so early.. you did what you thought was best at the time, it’s not your fault. Take it as a lesson though... clients are only clients they are not your friends, you don’t owe them anything and they don’t owe you anything. Look after yourself as no one else will xxxxxxx

Me and my partner want children and I worry about this sooo much. The one time you really need support from clients and you probably won’t get it. I know it’s hard (and I suffer from anxiety which makes things even bigger) but try not to take it personally, ppl do what’s convenient for them, it’s nothing to do with your work. Concentrate on trying to build some new clients (only offer worth doing is recommend a friends). Maybe go to baby groups and get take leaflets to mums, say baby is welcome so they don’t need to find a sitter? Don’t sell yourself short. Charge what you are worth not charge the least for your clients. (I’m learning that one fast). Don’t be hard on yourself about leaving little one so early.. you did what you thought was best at the time, it’s not your fault. Take it as a lesson though... clients are only clients they are not your friends, you don’t owe them anything and they don’t owe you anything. Look after yourself as no one else will xxxxxxx

Thank you for replying so fast.
I suffer from anxiety but my post was getting way too long! I always think it's personal which I know it isn't. But even some of these clients who didn't come back are family friends and people I would class as my friends who became clients. I saw one a couple of days ago and she avoided me like the plague. Like I was going to go up and say something. I'm not like that, I'd just rather people tell me the truth. I've found myself loosing so much sleep worrying about money and why the clients haven't come back. It's heartbreaking.

The problem about baby mum groups is my anxiety doesn't allow me to go to them, in my head I've instantly told myself everyone will judge me and no one will take to me. It's absolutely horrible!

Like I said we can't afford for me to sit and try build clients again. I'm giving it untill Christmas then I think I'll have to try find an alternive.

Thank you so much again for replying, &I take it from me when you have kids take 9 months off, the clients who do come back, were always going to come back even if you were away for a year xxx

Don’t take it personally, this is why I didn’t return to the same place of work. I took 14 months off then set up on my own - more money, can set your own work round childcare. I’m busier than I was in the salon.

You have clients so you would be keeping 100% of the takings, just put yourself out there, best thing I did and I started with no one in a different area.

I work two 12 hour days to make the most of paid childcare. One family day 10-5 and one morning my husband has.

Next time I’m going to just carry on booking clients for my return x

Don’t take it personally, this is why I didn’t return to the same place of work. I took 14 months off then set up on my own - more money, can set your own work round childcare. I’m busier than I was in the salon.

You have clients so you would be keeping 100% of the takings, just put yourself out there, best thing I did and I started with no one in a different area.

I work two 12 hour days to make the most of paid childcare. One family day 10-5 and one morning my husband has.

Well my boyfriend is dying for me to set up at home, we have a workshop under the house from the previous owner which would make a good little salon. Just for nails really and maybe LVL Lashes.

My problem is I love the people I work with. And the girl who I rent a chair off id say was one of my closest friends and I don't want to put her in an awkward position. It's so hard :(

Thank you for your advice x

Think of the long term benefits, I can control what I do around have a baby, I don’t work weekends really. I know someone else who just does 3 evenings and no weekends. I’m booked a month in advance, I can choose what’s clients I see and I make more money!

Hi,
Having a baby changes your life completely especially if you are self employed! I would suggest you rethink how you can combine running a business around the demands of a family. It is possible and many of us have done it successfully...
You might be better working at home where you are in full control of your hours and not paying out rent while you build up your client base again.
Unfortunately clients have oodles of salons to go to these days so it not surprising that some of your regulars have found somewhere else to go (or they might just be reigning in their spending?)
  • Start to re-build your business, think about what you can afford to pay out in child care and what free family baby sitting can you get. This will establish what hours you can offer.
  • Charge a decent price for your services - don't go cheap, you want to earn as much as you can in as little time possible
  • Review where and how you advertise - your new hours might change the type of client you are attracting
  • Send out your new leaflet, discount voucher & new prices to your old clients by post or attractive email. Texts probably feel too direct and too easy to delete. Give them space to choose where to book.
These are only suggestions, it sounds like you have a supportive partner too so that's worth loads!

This happened to me when I had both of my children , but luckily I wasn't self employed which meant I still got paid .
I did manage to build my clientele back up , maybe you could run some special offers or welcome back packages ?

I could have written this myself except this is my second child and I've just returned to work after taking 10 months off. I'm in the same position as I was when I took 12 weeks off with my first. Like you, I resented not having the time off with my baby so this time I decided to take more time off. My so-called loyal clients who have been coming to me for 7+ years haven't come back to me which has shocked and upset me a bit but it has also made me realise that they are just clients, not friends as I thought they were.

I'm trying to use my time wisely and promote as much as I can in my spare time. I'm running a 20% discount with flyers I've given out at my sons school, doing a 'website wednesday' promotion on my Facebook page so each Wednesday I promote a local business in return for them promoting me on theirs. I'm doing leaflet swaps with local businesses too. Ive donated gift vouchers to the 3 local schools for their Christmas fairs and asked to leave some of my price lists at a soft play near me right where the parents will sit drinking their tea/coffee.

You CAN do this, you're obviously good at what you do because you've run your business successfully before you went on maternity leave. Could you speak to your friend and explain the situation? She might have some ideas of how to help you and plus you'll probably feel a million times better getting it off your chest.

Sending lots of good luck wishes your way xx xx xx

How long did it take you to build up again??

I suffer from anxiety but my post was getting way too long!
The problem about baby mum groups is my anxiety doesn't allow me to go to them, in my head I've instantly told myself everyone will judge me and no one will talk to me. It's absolutely horrible!
Like I said we can't afford for me to sit and try build clients again. I'm giving it untill Christmas then I think I'll have to try find an alternative.

Anxiety is horrible but it needn't be a life sentence!
I honestly think you should try to focus on tackling your anxiety rather than simply avoiding certain situations. You don't need to be best friends with everyone but even just getting to know a few mums from your local baby & toddler groups can make the pre-school years much more fun for you and your little one.

As your little one grows up, you'd want them to be able to make friends easily and not to pass on your irrational fears to them. Could you do a bit of research and find a good CBT therapist?

Latest posts

Back