Losing heart in doing hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleneweeooo

Reaction score
Hey guys, have came back here after 2 years of being inactive.

Basically I went on the floor 1.5 years ago and have gradually built up a decent clientele in the salon where I've been for the past 3 years.

I love doing hair and I strive to be the best that I can be, but due to the position I am in right now, i feel its impossible. The salon I work in is falling to pieces and has absolutely nothing in it. We have 2 assistants between 5 stylists only on certain days, we have holes all over the ceilings that leak from the toilet of the condemned flat above us and a severe insect infestation. We don't have hair treatments, curling wands/tongs or any other colours apart from permanents. We've tried speaking to our boss but he just agrees and always says he will sort it or he's skint (which he isn't because he has a VERY lavish lifestyle)
I know everyone is going to tell me to leave right away but i feel like I am stuck. I have very basic hairdressing skills and the majority of salons in my area want stylists with 3+ years floor experience. I just can't compete with the standard that's expected. I cannot do upstyles (although I have just booked a hair up course that I got funded and am practising on family etc). I have not had enough experience in balayage or the latest colour techniques and trends as clients that want those kind of things don't come to a salon like ours. I don't have many friends or family to practice things like this on and can't advertise for models for this at home as my boss would be annoyed for me 'taking away from the business'. Going on a colour course isn't possible as I live on minimum wage and have a young child so cannot afford hundreds of pounds on this.
Apologies for the ridiculously long rant and moaning, I just had to vent as I have no one else I can to!! Any little tips or general advice for practising etc would be very appreciated guys xx

I really felt for you reading this message [emoji17]
Firstly pat yourself on the back for sticking with it under what’s clearly difficult to say the least working conditions!
Don’t give up now & loose your place in your chosen profession. You have worked hard to gain your qualification & your gaining experience with every passing day!
I gave up hairdressing many years ago & only had 3 months to qualify, it was the biggest regret of my life.
If you are only on minimum wage is it not possible to bite the bullet & approach a more “Professional or on trend” salon that you could explain your situation & tell them how much you would love to work within their salon & work under their guidance to become the hairdresser you know you can be with correct guidance, even if it means starting from a more junior level?
I really hope you can sort your situation out, if you lived closer I would help get models to you for practising, keep at it and keep positive, you’ve done the hardest bit now keep moving forwards
All the very best xx

Realistically, your boss isn’t going to change anytime soon so you have to ask yourself, ‘will I still be doing this in a years time’?

Hopefully, that will stop you procrastinating further and now you need to get pro-active.

Watch lots of online tutorials, get yourself a headblock and buy some cheap colour and bleach from Sally’s and practice your colouring techniques at home. Go and visit all your local salons and make notes as to what each of them offer, colour lines, special offers etc.

Write up a brief CV and call in, in person, and ask to speak to the manager. (Don’t waste time sending emails.)
Go during a quite time, not on a Saturday morning! Tell them you’re very interested in working in their salon because...something that reflects their salon rather than a generic reason (this is where your salon notes come in handy)

DON’T moan to them about your crappy salon or rubbish boss. They don’t need to know that.

Just explain honestly that you’d like to take your skills to the next level and if given a chance, you will work hard to fit in and become an asset to their business. Smile lots, be smart, polite and keen.

You can do this!

Thankyou both for all the advice!! It's very much appreciated.
I decided to brave it today and contact a few local salons I have been noseying and the second one is meeting me tomorrow for a chat!! So excited and nervous at the same time
I've drummed up a quick portfolio of my work and planned how I'm going to explain my weaknesses in some areas of doing hair but how I'm more than willing to work on them.

Eek wish me luck! X

Well done on taking that first step to your wonderful new life.
Big smile as you walk through the door and go for it.
All the best. :)

Thankyou both for all the advice!! It's very much appreciated.
I decided to brave it today and contact a few local salons I have been noseying and the second one is meeting me tomorrow for a chat!! So excited and nervous at the same time
I've drummed up a quick portfolio of my work and planned how I'm going to explain my weaknesses in some areas of doing hair but how I'm more than willing to work on them.

Eek wish me luck! X

That’s wonderful news, go you!!!!

Wishing you all the best 2moro, deep breaths & lots of enthusiasm, just remember your life isn’t hinging on this one first meeting, it might take a few... on the other hand this could be your chance, either way best of luck & let us know how it goes xx

Latest posts

Back