Losing my passion

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie_deanne

Reaction score
Hey geeks!
Bit of a sad post but I don't have anyone else to express it to without being judged too quickly!

I started working again in January after having our baby boy in September, and in the beginning I was really glad to be working again; I felt like I was back to being me again and not just mum!
2 months down the line, business is going really well so I know I am very lucky in that respect, but I really feel like my heart isn't in it anymore [emoji17] and some days I really resent the fact that I am missing out on quality time with my baby
I look at other jobs online, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do, as nails has been my life for the past 10 years!
It may be a temporary phase I'm going through, but I'm just hating the way I feel about work at the moment, and if I were to take a different path I wouldn't know where to go so I feel completely lost!

Did anyone else feel like this after having a baby?
Sorry for the rant, I needed to get it out lol xx

I did and I ended up taking a career break to be with my daughter. It lasted 15 years lol.
I don't regret it one bit.

Can you not work
From home so you are still
Near your baby? If not then just hang in there for a while and hopefully it will pass. As your baby gets older you will be glad of some time to yourself. Maybe cut your hours down too .xx

I took the opportunity to leave my then job in the city to be a stay at home mum while my children were small. It's difficult financially but in my opinion well worth it. Once they started school I retrained so I could still be around for them during the holidays and could arrange my work to attend assemblies, sports days etc. Make your job work for you - maybe cut your hours or work for yourself. You only get one life so make sure you make the most of it.

Same as above could you work from home? If not could you go part time

Thanks for replying ladies, I appreciate any advice and hearing your experiences.
I do already work from home, and I've only come back doing part time hours, so I've covered those bases already. I don't have the baby at home with me while I'm working though as I doubt I'd get much done because everyone one would want to see him [emoji23]

At the moment financially I don't feel like I can justify not working, as I do still manage to bring in a decent income.

I'm just going to have to suck it up for the time being I think, and hope it passes! xx

It will pass. Sometimes I'm bored silly of tanning people, other times I love it x

I've been in the same boat as you! My son is now 15 months and I'm 15 weeks pregnant with my second. (Insane I know what was I thinking?! [emoji23]) but I used to work for a big marketing company then left when my year of mat leave was over as they wouldn't have been able to accommodate a cut back in my hours. Plus I felt so guilty for going out to work! So I re trained to beauty to make it easier for me. At the moment I only work evenings when my son has gone to bed and it's a much better set up for me as I still get to spend time with my son and earn a little money. I know I'm probably going to feel the same again come Aug/sept when the next baby comes and resent going to work but it's completely normal no matter what job you do. You've just had this amazing little person and been spending so much time with them that the thought of going to work is horrible as always so scared you'll miss something. It does pass as they get older and you start to appreciate the time to yourself a bit more! You could always look at learning a new treatment to add to your list to try and spice it up a bit if you fancy something a bit different?

I had the exact same feelings when I worked full time in advertising, that's why I retrained to be a beauty therapist - self employed. I think its the time away from your children that's making you feel resentful as opposed to the job, tbh I think you would feel that way whatever job you did so I would stick at it. Being self employed you can allow yourself some flexibility, if you went to one of those other jobs you would have to work when they tell you. (That's the position I was in and hated it so much I ended up quite unwell and on antidepressants). Can you cut your hours down? Do you find its the thought of doing clients but ok once you're there. I really would think long and hard, try to remember why you loved it in the first place. Maybe get a few new products to get yourself buzzing again. I think in the long run you would regret giving it up. It would be harder to try and start it up again. Hope this helps. Xxx

Thank you so much for all taking the time to share your stories, it's just so nice to hear from people who have been in the same boat. None of my friends have children yet so they just don't get it!

You have all inspired me and rather than throwing in the towel (because I do honestly love nails!) I am actually going to train in spray tanning, as something new to offer. And I genuinely feel excited at the thought of doing something different.

So thank you ladies, if it wasn't for you all taking the time out to reply I'd still be feeling crap! I feel a bit like a fire has been reignited! Xxxx

Hello Katie!

Clearly I've never been a mom but I have times in which I've lost my passion for something. Which makes it really hard and uninspiring to go to work everyday. I really believe we all have a purpose or mission in life. When we don't feel like we're living that, we feel "off course".

Katie, maybe it's time to find a way to do something you absolutely love that allows you spend as much time with your baby as you want? Create a "mom" type of business that will grow with you and your child. It may have noting to do with nails. Or you can take all the knowledge you've accumulated over the years and show others how to do their nail business by creating a blog. There are tons of directions you can go.

Of course you still have to make money and "do what you gotta do, until you can do what you wanna do" but having a new mission, purpose or whatever you want to call it may make sitting in front of that customer more inspiring because you know your working towards your new passion.

Good for you for being brave and being honest about what many people are afraid to talk about.

Hi Katie,

I'm currently 8 months pregnant and work in an office. I am trained in Gelish nails and hope to do this while I'm on mat leave and build up enough clients to work for myself.

I'm torn between going back to my office job (because of course it's an easy option), which is a 45 minute commute, or doing my best to get clients and work for myself. Like you I will still have to work and I am dreading going back already even though my baby isn't here yet so I can completely relate to how you're feeling.

The reason why I am wanting to work for myself is the flexibility it offers, which you have so maybe focus on the positives of what you have and like someone else said maybe add a new service or buy new products (which is always exciting!!)

Can I ask how you got your clients working from home, and how was it getting them back after mat leave? xx

Latest posts

Back