losing my toenail, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kermit

Reaction score
hi all

sorry this is a bit gross

I bashed my big toe about a month ago and now it's kind of turned black (which I knew would happen) but it keeps popping but it's not fallen off I just wanted to see if anyone could give advice on how to make sure that the nail grows back :!::!::!:

thanks xx

i cant think of anything you personally can do to aid it growing back...i am sure it will do so on its own in its own time. x

yep must wait be patient cause it may last...

keep it dry and clean

yep must wait be patient cause it may last...

keep it dry and clean

thanks hun!

I'm just worried that if it comes off it won't grow back!!! - have to keep putting fresh nail varnish on because it looks awful!!

:eek:

xx

it depends on how much the nail is injured can you tak a picture and post it here????

it depends on how much the nail is injured can you tak a picture and post it here????

Oh I will try and do that tomorrow - sounds like a good idea! - I'm going out in less than 2 hours and with the poor lighting - might be a rubbish pic anyways!

but as a way to describe it - only the back half is currently discoloured - kind of a greyish colour - I know ther is a gap now between the cuticle and the nail and it does occassionally hurt! and sometimes when I put pressure on that foot I can feel the nail pop slightly! :mad:

thanks

xx

gap between cuticle and nail??

sounds like injured matrix

you must wait and observe the nail

can't do any judgements untill I see It

From what you've said, it sounds as if you're definitely in the process of losing your nail. You won't know if it will grow back or not until the nail has come off and you can see the underneath of it. By the time the nail has come off you should (hopefully) have new nail growing, but keep in mind that the growth process is slow with toenails.

One of my clients is going through the same thing with one of her big toe nails at the moment and also my daughter is on the final stages of her thumb nail regrowing after she lost it, make sure you keep it clean and keep an eye on it for infection etc.
hth's

I just started running last month, and sure enough I lost one toenail on each foot- if it feels kind of "tough" where the cuticle is, you are probably fine. BUT, if the matrix IS damaged, then be prepared that the loss could be permanent. When the matrix, or root of the nail, is damaged, the damage does not regenerate, it's damaged for good. But I haven't seen many folks lose their toenail permanently, it had to be something fairly severe.

Try to be patient and see what happens- that POP is your nail trying to detach. DO NOT HELP IT! Just let it go it's own course ;)

Good luck!

gap between cuticle and nail??

sounds like injured matrix

you must wait and observe the nail

can't do any judgements untill I see It

here's a pic of the nail - excuse the little bit of red in the corner that is my nail polish - I'm really pi**ed though as I usually have french manicure but because of this for the last 2 months I've needed to wear polish :mad:

errrrrm how do I get a pic on here coz I can't do it as an attachment?

xx

thanks

Id say use some solar oil,it can only help grow anything thats trying to grow back.that stuff is my most favorite product in the world. i would drink it if i could.it should help it go a little faster.

BY your description of gap between cuticle and the nail, .... that gap is actually the new nail pushing the old one off. Try and trim it down short in length and nature will take care of the rest.

If you have any pain, go and see your doctor.

thanks for your advice ladies - just gutted I can't just attach the pic would have been so much quicker but I will set up a photobox account at some point

xx

Latest posts

Back