losing sparkle in gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janeburrows

Reaction score
I bought some star nails diamantes recently but when I encased them in my gel all the facets disappeared! They then looked like little mirror circles. Anyone know why this is? Is it the gems or is it my application?

janeburrows said:
I bought some star nails diamantes recently but when I encased them in my gel all the facets disappeared! They then looked like little mirror circles. Anyone know why this is? Is it the gems or is it my application?

I think the problem you have why encasing diamantes is that the gel stops the light bouncing of the facets of the stone.
Try putting them on last and just put a thin layer of gel over them to seal.
Hths

Thanks Lesley, I'll try this. I was worried that they might not be attached enough if I didn't cover it with a decent depth of gel.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure wether this would work on Gel but what i do when i want to attach stones, is to top coat the nail once i have finished applying my L&P and stick the rhinestone on while wet, then apply another top coat to seal. I do this on top of L&P if i don't want the stones on for more than a week. Saying that they don't come off too easily anyway.

Just a thought if they are losing their crystal look under gel. As Lesley said maybe you are using a coat of gel too thick.

Hi Talented Tallons

I tried putting a thinner layer of gel over the diamantes but they still look like little mirrors - which I quite like. However I also tried another method which , so far has worked better. When I do my last layer of gel I placed a stone in the gel, let the gel around it level again and then cured. It is secured but not covered now and is sparkling away!

Problem solved.

Thanks for all your input.

Hi Jane we have had this prob too, but your new way seems logical when you think about it, so we'll be doing it this way in the salon too. Cheers hun.

Latest posts

Back