Lost a client due to enforcing my cancellation policy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know i should of just explained that it was too short notice and to give me more notice next time. To be honest i was shocked she came and paid the cancellation fee.
I hold my hands up i really feel that i behaved wrongly :(

Also sorry the title of the thread is misleading, I just didnt want to make the thread title into an essay ;)

I have learnt a life lesson, Im not sure if i should just 'let it be', Or contact her today. I dont really know how to start it.

My friend said i should just explain to her that i made a human error of judgement but i just feel thats too deep to get into a conversation of life errors over a nail appointment!!

Also i dont really want to give her anything free as she lost me money that day.

And she's losing you money for the foreseeable future if you don't...

I know i should of just explained that it was too short notice and to give me more notice next time. To be honest i was shocked she came and paid the cancellation fee.
I hold my hands up i really feel that i behaved wrongly :(

Also sorry the title of the thread is misleading, I just didnt want to make the thread title into an essay ;)

I have learnt a life lesson, Im not sure if i should just 'let it be', Or contact her today. I dont really know how to start it.

My friend said i should just explain to her that i made a human error of judgement but i just feel thats too deep to get into a conversation of life errors over a nail appointment!!

Also i dont really want to give her anything free as she lost me money that day.

You must do what feels right for you. Like you, I felt bad about being a bit stern so I sent my client a nice little message apologising.

Well, she never replied and I never saw her again :D Apologising made me feel better because basically I am a very nice person but it didn't change her mind and she didn't come back.

If apologising makes you feel better then do it but don't expect the client to want to return. In this instance you have been inconsistent with your cancellation policy but it's all a learning curve so forgive yourself and try and move on.

HTH
PB
x

Id apologise and say you were able to fill friends appt as you had notice, with an hour you were unable to fill her time slot. Say you now see the situation from her point of view, and as a gesture of good will you will... (Voucher/discount/ a retail item she would normally buy/a complimentary service with her next treatment whatever you are happy with) xx

I would call her and apologise and ask her to come back on the 15th and there will be no charge for her nails ... if she still decides not to come back that is that but the gesture has been made.

I would rather suck up the loss and make the client feel valued.

My leaflet and website state that I do not charge for cancellations but if a client cancels on the day twice she will be asked to book all future appointments on the day she requires her appointments.

And if a client just doesn't bother to show up without at least the courtesy of a phone call they are 'invited to seek the services of another salon'.

xx

On the flip side here, what to people do when it's you that are ill and have to cancel? Do you discount or give free treatments next time?

I would call her, apologise and offer her next appointment for free.
If she is still not happy let her go. Good luck!
xx

Thank you for all your good advice.

When I am I'll (rarely since I became self employed hehe)
I offer a suitable alternative appointment and if I can afford too offer a discount on that appointment.

I think I've been sick once in 5 years and I only had to cancel 3 clients

I have a 3 hour cancellation policy, I think 24 hours is way too long, so much can happen in that time.

Question: If you were sick and gave clients less than 24 hrs notice, do you reverse you cancellation policy and credit them a free appointment ?

You know what, call her up and tell a little white lie, just explain to her that you had had a really bad day and that you also had a few no shows or clients turning up late that day, and that she unfortunately got the bad end of that, then offer to refund her the cancellation fee and maybe upgrade her treatment. It sounds like you are really stressing about it, and genuinely sorry, and I am sure that this will come across when you speak to her, its an easy thing to put right and I am sure that she will appreciate the apology, it takes a big person to apologise.
I have one client who either turns up l late or not at all, so now I just call her to remind her about the appointment, she has brought me so much business, that I dont mind the few minutes it takes to call her.
Tinax

Latest posts

Back