Lost a client...to Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
well it had to happen at some point..

I picked up two new clients recently who previously wore Gel nails and both had been going to the same franchised salon and both had nail plate damage :|

Anyway one after the other they both have had them soaked off an manicured as they wanted Gel nails again....

I soo wish I could afford to train and offer this system but heyho will be able to soon, at least they were honest and told me why but I made them promise to try another salon in the area that offers Gel...

It is frustrating as its not that I dont want to learn its that I cant afford the investments as I would like...fingers crossed by the end of the year I will be offering all 3 systems

A saying that keeps coming up is that if you don't offer a service then your competitors will.

Sorry Louise, but you reckon you can't afford the investment to do the gel training - how much have you lost from losing these two clients.

Are you looking at a one day conversion to gel or would you need to do more intensive than this.

naturalnails said:
A saying that keeps coming up is that if you don't offer a service then your competitors will.

Sorry Louise, but you reckon you can't afford the investment to do the gel training - how much have you lost from losing these two clients.

Are you looking at a one day conversion to gel or would you need to do more intensive than this.

Hi Fiona, this is true but If i dont have the cash what can I do

Its taken my months to find the money to do a 0-2-0 on L&P on which my skills need tweeking to ensure I do the best job with this :( As far as I am aware I dont think I can do a conversion as i only have a certificate in Stars Total Technican (over 1 year) for Wraps and my Dip Level 2 in Nail Technology (VTCT) to date...

I spoke with OPI and they want £857 for kit and their minimum 4 day training which is just too much
Did you know any different to this and can you recommend a resonable lower price kit - (cant afford Brisa for quite sometime) if so please let me know....thanks...

I have to say that I am using IBD from teh wholsalers and the nails look great (all two sets that is)

I have found it really easy to use, why not get a jar and have a go, if you can do nails then I dont see why you cant offer Gel. All the tip application and blening is the same it is just the stuff you put ont he top, prep the same and read the instructions for curing time.

Go on have a go!

this is just a thought - I agree for good training (or even bad for that matter!) - it all costs bucket loads.... but where there is a will there is a way - I recently decided that I wanted to go back to basics, and do the CND 4 day foundation course. I use Ebay to fund all of my training courses and ALWAYS raise enough money for the training. I re cycle the kids clothes (I do have 4 kids, so I suppose that is easier). I speak to friends who are having a clear out and they give me things, I pick up things at jumble sales (I once sold 3 books that I had brought for 10p each to someone in America for £36!) and clear out my wardrobe of things I have not worn for 6 months or more - its amazing how much you can raise! - hope this helps

Sue

Bodacious said:
I have to say that I am using IBD from teh wholsalers and the nails look great (all two sets that is)

I have found it really easy to use, why not get a jar and have a go, if you can do nails then I dont see why you cant offer Gel. All the tip application and blening is the same it is just the stuff you put ont he top, prep the same and read the instructions for curing time.

Go on have a go!

sawasdee ka

I am not saying it your idea is no good i will tell you what happen to me .

I was trained in l&p and in june 2003 i sent to england for ibd gel kit and ibd lamp i sit at my nail table i tried and tried and tried and i could not do gel because i was doing some thing wrong and no body could show me what it was i was doing wrong and i have a ibd booklet i read about 1000 times but i still do some thing wrong .

My lamp is on my desk for one year now and i have never do one customer for gel only for l&p but because i now have a gel video i think 2 days ago i will go try practice with the gel and all the gel after 1 year is caput .

Maybe there are many ladys can do gel because they can do an other system and have no training but i have done training l&p and i can not do another system with no training so i think maybe it is better to wait to have training in gel and not spend money on the products because maybe if you like me the money will be gone .

Mui

Ok I know this may appear rude but gel isnt that hard to pick up, you brush the stuff on!

The gel is self leveling so I cant understand how you cannot pick this up just by having a go, I think that arcylic is much harder to do and admire those that do fantastic acrylic nails.

I just feel that if you can master acrylic then there is no reason why you cant do gel

If you can paint on nail varnish then you can paint on gel, and please I am not trying to belittle gel technicians but it isnt rocket science. If your prep and tip application is spot on then you should finds basic gel a breeze.

I have to disagree with the above post, Because although like you have side gel is easy to apply it can be much harder to master. Yes i would say that most people could brush gel on :confused: But can they create a proper apex and shaped nail with gel ?
The answer is No, Ive seen lots of gel nails that just look flat and have no shape. I think the gel system is easy to learn but hard to master. ;)
IMHO

I must just be a natural at it then!..LOL

Basically I took the princples I learnt from the acrylic course and applied it to gel and it works for me, I build more shape into the apex by layering the gel at that point and going thinner at the back.

I know what you mean by flat nails.

Bodacious said:
Ok I know this may appear rude but gel isnt that hard to pick up, you brush the stuff on!

The gel is self leveling so I cant understand how you cannot pick this up just by having a go, I think that arcylic is much harder to do and admire those that do fantastic acrylic nails.

I just feel that if you can master acrylic then there is no reason why you cant do gel

If you can paint on nail varnish then you can paint on gel, and please I am not trying to belittle gel technicians but it isnt rocket science. If your prep and tip application is spot on then you should finds basic gel a breeze.
Well I have to dissagree a little bit here......
Different Gels , different application techniques..........
Some are just painted on, some need to be worked in little circular motions into the nailplate..............

You will still have to be able to create a good sound stress area, build a good apex, know how to freeze set your white so it doesn't run all over the nail, know how to prevent pooling, how to apply Gel enhancements to problem nails like ski jump, bitten nails, sculting on hook nails as tipping isn't a good option here...and so much more......
Stuff you learn on a good Gel course............
Anna from Toronto has a good educational website............
Her Gel nails are fab and are what Technicians should aspire to.........
http://www.polished.ca/
Now this is what I call beautiful Gel nails.............and it took a little bit more then just brushing the gel on lol..........

Of to have a Voddy and Orange now........Cheers to all Geeks xxx

humn maybe I didnt quite put it right as I often find it hard to write what I think (if you know what I mean)

But if you can master acrylic then surley it is worth buying a pot from your wholesalers and having a go, maybe it is just me but I love experamenting but am mindful not to damage

Bodacious said:
humn maybe I didnt quite put it right as I often find it hard to write what I think (if you know what I mean)

But if you can master acrylic then surley it is worth buying a pot from your wholesalers and having a go, maybe it is just me but I love experamenting but am mindful not to damage
LOL I know what you mean Hun......Oh the written word LOL......
Easy misunderstood, but I know what you mean.......

Buying a pot from the wholesalers is ok, but as long as it comes with application instructions and you have got the right UV lamp for this particular gel......
Gel is not always Gel.........

It's a bit like saying to a Gel Technician, go and get some L&P and just practice....You know the basics!!!....LOL for example she will brush it on instead of pressing it.........getting frustated and then chucking it in the bin, or it will find a nice dark place in a cupboard and never o be seen again and thinking L&P is just a load of twaddle.....

I do all 3 systems and each one has it's own degree of difficulty.......
L&P is the hardest to master, and yes if you can do brill L&P Gel should be easy to learn, but it still has to be learned and thats best done, with someone that is a brill Gel educator..............
But power to you if you found it easy, some Techncians just have the knack and some need a little bit more help............
And buying a Lamp and Gel aint that cheap, specialy if you are a bit low on funding, it might be a better idea to just save some pennies and get some education.......... Some short cuts just make for some long delays as Geeg has always said...................And I have to agree.............

Back to another Voddy and Orange xxx

One thng I would say is I do like the brisa gel, one of the girls in the slaon had the kit nad did her traing and it was really nice stuff to work with. Hopefully inthe future Iwillbe doing the same ingeting the kit and doing the traing as I feel that the offer on at the money of kit traing AND lamp for £200 is a bargin and a very good investment.

Before Istarted doing this I have read an awful lot, I do love anna's site and you can learna lot from her tutorials.

I havnt thoguh picked up acrylic as easily...LOL and agree withyou on the bit about having to push it rather than brush it.

I think what I meant in response to the orginal question was to have a go at gel to see if you have the feel for it then you can see if you feel the need to go down the route of training or just stick to what you know does that make sense...LOL)

I think that I have taken to gel more as that is the system that I had my nails done with years ago, I hdnt even heard of acrylic, I thought acrylic refers to the stuck on tips. Something that I am having to explain to my customers now as well, they cant seem to get their heads round the fact that a tip is plastic and the acrylic is the product put on the top.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Well I have to dissagree a little bit here......
Different Gels , different application techniques..........
Some are just painted on, some need to be worked in little circular motions into the nailplate..............

You will still have to be able to create a good sound stress area, build a good apex, know how to freeze set your white so it doesn't run all over the nail, know how to prevent pooling, how to apply Gel enhancements to problem nails like ski jump, bitten nails, sculting on hook nails as tipping isn't a good option here...and so much more......
Stuff you learn on a good Gel course............
Anna from Toronto has a good educational website............
Her Gel nails are fab and are what Technicians should aspire to.........
http://www.polished.ca/
Now this is what I call beautiful Gel nails.............and it took a little bit more then just brushing the gel on lol..........

Of to have a Voddy and Orange now........Cheers to all Geeks xxx

Awww.....thanks Ruth :o

L&P makes more sense when you are learning it.
You make a bead, you place it, you spread it.
I'm not saying it easy (oh no!!!!)...but it makes more sense......

Gel is sticky and it moves, doesn't set, you try to pat it to smooth it out..you just smear it all over :twisted: .
But I do like gel..files sooo nice..doesn't smell :)

I only work with gel. I know L&P, used to use UV cured L&P.....but now I chose to work with gel only.,,,(except for toes I use traditional L&P)
I do believe that you can "specialize" in 1 method only....and that you can't make everyone happy.
I wish I could be as comfortable with L&P as I am with gel but I'm not, and (sorry, please don't understand me wrong)..I don't see the need for it.

I love the look of L&P nail, I admire people that do it...but its not for me.

Some people specialize, some don't

Gels are easy to learn but hard to master (Barb Nailsplash)
Its not too hard to apply gel, but to make it look as good as good L&P....yes, its very hard :o

Hi,
I too am trained with L&P, but still have my few probs as far as smile lines.....not going to go there tho'. i still like my L&P but have fallen in love with Fibreglass. I just picked it up so easily.

I do wish i could get the courage to do gel but have never felt i could grasp it very well. When i tried it i felt i wanted to play with it for too long and try and get it perfect. Obviously i need to practise but will take the plunge at some point.

Bodacious said:
One thng I would say is I do like the brisa gel, one of the girls in the slaon had the kit nad did her traing and it was really nice stuff to work with. Hopefully inthe future Iwillbe doing the same ingeting the kit and doing the traing as I feel that the offer on at the money of kit traing AND lamp for £200 is a bargin and a very good investment.

Sorry Bodacious but I think you'll find the price is closer to £300.....however still a good price when you consider this is for your training, pro kit and lamp;)

Adele

Dear Louise,

Have you thought of trying Bio Sculpture Gel? I looked into this a couple of months ago, and their starter kit plus training is around 450 pounds. I too had finance problems, so I asked my mum (really nicely!) if I could put it on her credit card and pay it off over 6 months. She agreed, but then I changed my mind about the course after having my nails done with Bio Sculpture because I thought it looked too complicated for me - but that's just me!

Just written a reply but think i erased it by mistake!
I covered gel very briefly in my NVQ unit 19. I then booked a one to one with our local NSI guy who was fantastic.
It cost me about £70 for 2 hours and he taught me exactly how to do it! I personally found that more benefical than any course as there is just the two of you. He taught me how to practise correctly so when I did it at home, i knew i was doing it right. Was well worth it! I started with a small kit from NSI.I couldn't believe how well I did in just 2 hours!
Let us know what you do!! good luck.
Sam x

SammiG said:
Just written a reply but think i erased it by mistake!
I covered gel very briefly in my NVQ unit 19. I then booked a one to one with our local NSI guy who was fantastic.
It cost me about £70 for 2 hours and he taught me exactly how to do it! I personally found that more benefical than any course as there is just the two of you. He taught me how to practise correctly so when I did it at home, i knew i was doing it right. Was well worth it! I started with a small kit from NSI.I couldn't believe how well I did in just 2 hours!
Let us know what you do!! good luck.
Sam x

Thanks Sam - how much was the kit...I have since found out I can do a Brisa Conversion course full day with kit included for around £230 inc VAT...which aint bad at all!

Peppercorn Nails said:
Sorry Bodacious but I think you'll find the price is closer to £300.....however still a good price when you consider this is for your training, pro kit and lamp;)

Adele
Oops sorry I meant to put £299, doh!

Latest posts

Back