Lost job before first day at work for being the wrong sex!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then get yourself down to my place for a day's work experience :wink2:

You are right in one sense - your skills are going to waste not being used, but giving up won't change that. Your tutors believed in your ability - it's hard work for any newly qualified therapist to find a job these days, and I know it's tough when you keep getting knocked back but don't chuck it in.

Who have you approached about a job and how have you gone about it? Maybe we can help with your CV or the way you sell yourself to salons?

Tony right at this moment you have no idea what an amazing opportunity you have just been offered.

If you don't snatch it with both hands you are mad:hug:

Tony, this is a fantastic opportunity given to you by Andy - you've just got to do it. You won't get a better chance, Andy is a very highly respected therapist so any help offered by him will be the best.

Please do let us know how you go on.

Take up this wonderful opportunity with andi,
from a consumer point of view sometimes i think it is an added bonus to have a male advisor/ma. Men are so wonderfully truthful and seem to have better judgement as what suits a women etc...I bet if a big consumer market research went out regarding male make up artist etc there would be a really good response ref males...seems the company's may not be intouch with what the customer wants in truth.

I think it is ridiculous that no one will employ you just because you are a man, definitely try to do them for sexual discrimination,
I have had in the last two weeks two men from different make-up companies come into the salon and try to sell me their make-up range, on both occasions i have had a client sat having their nails done and can honestly say the fact that they were men was not an issue for myself or my clients.
I have to say you are mad if you don't take Andy up on his very kind offer, we are all crying out to have some training from Andy, you go for it and enjoy every bit of it.
Good luck in finding a job in this industry :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear this. It seems totally unfair. That's discrimination!

In Colchester there was a guy who worked on the Benefit counter. I can remember him vividly, he was so outgoing and had a mad personality. I used to go to him over the girls as he knew his stuff and was so crackers and made me laugh everytime..

I would write and complain. What is their problem!??
It would make a change to have a man working on a cosmetics counter.

MY advice ...... keep on trying.
Being a male is not a disadvantage (maybe in this case it was), but in other cases it will be an advantage. Be proud of what/who/what you are and your skills, doors will open.
I wouldn't take any action, it may bite you on the bum in the future.
For all you know, they may have felt threatened by you becoming more popular than them.
You will laugh about this when you get the job you want, respect you desire and become their competition.
There are many levels of discrimination, some of them more subtle than others ....RISE ABOVE IT and don't take it to heart.
It's gonna take some time, not many peeps get their dream job first time .... perhaps you are no different, I wouldn't blame it on you gender or discrimination ...... just yet. Get out there and give it another shot.

Cant you set up on your own or mobile? There is a demand for male therapists and loads of male only salons now....or sales, personally speaking i always prefered a male rep, they always seemed to stick at the job longer and studied the products they sold more. Also look at the hair and nails industry..many of the top people are men. If you ask me i think you have just applied to the wrong places full of small minded people and you should keep at it!

HI, I have been to a Benefit counter, and have been served by a guy, no problem for me.

They have treated you very badly, hope you get the job you want soon.

Hun, my husband has all the qualifications and experience in his field that anyone could possibly drool over and he was knocked back so many times or just ignored, which is worse, his wasn't his sex, it was age, apparently you are all washed up at the age of 53. He kept trying, took a new slant on his qualifications and finally found a new job that he loves.
I think you should take up Andy's wonderful offer, not least of all because your self confidence has taken a battering and Andy is just the man to restore your self esteem.
I will leave you with this final thought, which I'm sure many geeks will back me up on.

If I try a new hair style, dress, or make up colour, and a woman tells me it looks great, or offers advise, I'm likely to fine two or three other girl friends and ask their opinion, if a bloke tells me, then I take it as the absolute gosspel truth. If a man notices that you have done something he will be brutally honest and that is worth everything to a woman. These businesses have been very short sighted not to see that you are a gold mine, but you need Andy's help to give you not only some confidence but how to sell your self with out tipping the balance and comeing across as cocky.:hug: to you hun.

Thanks Andy, but tutors couldn't get rid of me quick enough...i have even tried calling them foe advice but nothing...it was my tutor who did my cv for me when i got rejected from a job at posh hotel.

Tony, you have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain! Andy is living proof that a man can be successful in this business. And possibly more successful than some of us girls :eek:

If there are men serving on other Benefit counters around the country then I think you should contact the Benefit Head Office and make them aware of how you have been treated by your local one!!!

A verbal job offer is binding............not that you would want to go and work there now as any grief the manager gets from the head office would be taken out on you but I think they should be made aware of how you have been treated. (excuse the pun, but it may be of benefit to you!!!)

Good luck for the future.......................this is a great industry, stick with it don't waste all that training.

If I try a new hair style, dress, or make up colour, and a woman tells me it looks great, or offers advise, I'm likely to fine two or three other girl friends and ask their opinion, if a bloke tells me, then I take it as the absolute gosspel truth. If a man notices that you have done something he will be brutally honest and that is worth everything to a woman. These businesses have been very short sighted not to see that you are a gold mine, but you need Andy's help to give you not only some confidence but how to sell your self with out tipping the balance and comeing across as cocky.:hug: to you hun.
Totally right!

I think Nailzoo is right, you shouldn't assume that you lost the job because you are a man, it may just be that they decided to promote from within in the end, or had to move staff about rather than laying someone off due to over staffing.

As also said by someone else, trying to find a salon job is really hard regardless of your gender or age. I think you need to stop seeing yourself as a man in a woman's domain and see yourself as having a unique selling point. Use your male charm to sway the feminine side of us ... ie a little bit of flirting never went amiss!!!!!! Although don't over do it!!!!!!!!

Take Andy up on his offer - he is the waxing guru, you couldn't do better. Wish I had taken him up on his offer a while back to help me, but I felt so inadequate at the time and declined - what a muppet I was!

Good luck with your job hunt - and see being different in a good way. Your positivity will then shine through and salon owners will be queueing up to have you on board. :hug:

Hi I have been coming back to this post with interest.

You sound a little down on the present situation. Please don't give up before you have started!

I am a mobile therapist but have been doing some research for you. There aren't many men offering a mobile beauty service out there. Could you not work and set something up part time taking evening appointments? And build from there?

Having worked as a mobile therapist in your neck of the woods and set businesses up in 5 different parts of the UK (hubby in army keep moving!) I know there is a HUGE demand for beauty as a mobile service in your region. I was sad to leave the South as I did very well financially and had a lot of regular clients.

I'll PM you a website of someone who has his own mobile service offering waxing to males only.Maybe that could give you some inspiration.

I'm sure there is a big niche out there of men who may feel a little intimidated going to a female for waxing and/or other treatments.

Thanks 2 everyone 4 the advice and help....haven't got a clue what i'm gona do....I might go back to college to train as a hairdresser as it is less threatening than a male therapist////I was going to do nails and holistics but think this ,market is quite overloaded at the minute.

Thanks 2 everyone 4 the advice and help....haven't got a clue what i'm gona do....I might go back to college to train as a hairdresser as it is less threatening than a male therapist////I was going to do nails and holistics but think this ,market is quite overloaded at the minute.

This is a great idea! But don't forget to keep practicing the beauty / grooming / holistics skills you have learnt. :)

This is a great idea! But don't forget to keep practicing the beauty / grooming / holistics skills you have learnt. :)

Thanks but i can't as don't do any treatments on anyone so the beauty side has gone rusty even in these few months i have been away from college....hairdressing isn't what i wanted to dobut i guess it makes a good bak up plan

Get yr ass down to Andy's salon for the day then! If you enjoy performing treatments.....go do!

And if you don't, maybe you're right, you've lost the passion for the Industry, maybe you never had it, and let your tutors win....yeah we were right about him, he never had it.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE....YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO!

I dont mean this to sound bitchy or catty but one day aint going to help me find a job or sustian the level of skills i need to apply for jobs

I dont mean this to sound bitchy or catty but one day aint going to help me find a job or sustian the level of skills i need to apply for jobs

I don't mean this to sound bitchy or catty but if you want to find a job or sustain the level of skills you need to apply for jobs, stop feeling sorry for yourself and try to think more positively.

Latest posts

Back