Lost job before first day at work for being the wrong sex!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xTonyx

Reaction score
Hi guys...Basically I had a interview at Benefit Cosmetics around a month ago, which was successful and Iwas told I could have a job but only on a part time basis as the place where I live is not ready to have a male selling makeup/cosmetics and they thought they would lose customers from having a man on the counter. Then I went into see the manager a week later to see when I could start (she said she would call me but never did) so Iwas told in two weeks time as someone was leaving and I would be taking thier job. So two weeks passed and still nothing so I went in to see the manager and she said she would call me which never happened and today I ent into speak to them and found I out they had given my job to a girl from perfumes! So a first the salons and spas turn there nose at me being a male therapist and now bing a male selling cosmetics is not acceptable ethier. So I don't know wether to make a formal compliant to the companys HR department on ground of discrimination/unfair treatment.
What are ur thoughts guys?

hi

did you have the offer in writing??

A verbal offer counts too though. You could try on sex discrimination though, i would make a complaint its not very fair to offer a job then not have the guts to go through with it!!

They shouldnt have offered it in the first place if they didnt want it!! Look at all the male hairdressers that are around!!

Some of the best massages i have had have been by male therapists too!!

I just cant beleive employers are that short sighted in your area!!

their loss x

Thanks Tracy...Its like they think by having amn all there clients would stop coming....some of the salons have been worst with there response to job adverts e.g. "We are a female client only salon so only employ females". I have sent out 100 CVs and have onlt 2 interviews not a good ratio is it.

I think the treatment you've received is disgusting, there's no logical reason for them not going through with the job offer.
I hope you get taken on somewhere where you'll be truly appreciated :hug:

I think it's awful the way you have been treated, i think you should write them a letter
like said previously they shouldn't of offered the job if they didn't want you to have it.
things can only get better don't let it put you off x

That's awful, seems like they were keeping you hanging on until they got a female candidate.....have you tried MAC, they have male artists at our local Mac counter...although I guess you probably have.....good luck

How's about taking them up on grounds of sex discrimination?

I think thats terrible...what fools. Until they try and give you a go then how do they know if it works or not. Who are they to generalise on how women will feel by having a male staff member...have they asked them..??

heck and here i was thinking it was 2007

DON'T GIVE UP !!!....i know it must feel soul destroying right now but some clever spark will see what a massive and positive impact you can have on there business and snap you up....i know i would. xx

It's odd as here in London, you'll find men on most cosmetic counters in the department stores.

That's awful, seems like they were keeping you hanging on until they got a female candidate.....have you tried MAC, they have male artists at our local Mac counter...although I guess you probably have.....good luck

How's about taking them up on grounds of sex discrimination?

I was thinking the same thing but didn't know you had MAC there. Lots of males at our MAC counters in Canada, too. Sorry you've been treated in such an ignorant manner. Doesn't sound like a place you would want to work at anyway....
:hug:

I would certainly be writing to them and asking for an explanation as to why they have done this and if you still feel like they are discriminating against you then take it futher.
I always thought that the person with the best experiance would get the job not the person who is the "right sex!".
If it makes you feel better i would have no problem recieving treatments or getting advice from you or any other male therapists.
Good luck.

I would have prefered my tutors at college to have have told me I wouldn't have a chance in the beauty industry then it would have saved me 2 years of my life. Well thats it for me, no more beauty, out of time amd money, i gona go back to working in clothes shop like before...if i had been doing that for 2 years then I could be a manager or something by now instead of thinking i could bvreak the mould and become a male beauty therapist.

I would have prefered my tutors at college to have have told me I wouldn't have a chance in the beauty industry then it would have saved me 2 years of my life. Well thats it for me, no more beauty, out of time amd money, i gona go back to working in clothes shop like before...if i had been doing that for 2 years then I could be a manager or something by now instead of thinking i could bvreak the mould and become a male beauty therapist.
Don't give up just yet :hug:
Get another job but in the meantime you could be applying for more employment in the beauty industry.

you will have only wasted 2 years if you give up !!!

Bang those doors down...there is a market for you...i see loads of male beauty blokes on tv....qvc and all that.

What about just getting your foot in the door first...reception...aftershave counter...then squeeze your way in like that.

I have been trying everywhere....Its just not good image to have a male working in this industry around this area....I just feel that my skills are going to waste not being used ....I haven't done waxing since my level 2 which was in 2005/06 so a bit out off practise now

I have been trying everywhere....Its just not good image to have a male working in this industry around this area....I just feel that my skills are going to waste not being used ....I haven't done waxing since my level 2 which was in 2005/06 so a bit out off practise now

Then get yourself down to my place for a day's work experience :wink2:

You are right in one sense - your skills are going to waste not being used, but giving up won't change that. Your tutors believed in your ability - it's hard work for any newly qualified therapist to find a job these days, and I know it's tough when you keep getting knocked back but don't chuck it in.

Who have you approached about a job and how have you gone about it? Maybe we can help with your CV or the way you sell yourself to salons?

Then get yourself down to my place for a day's work experience :wink2:

You are right in one sense - your skills are going to waste not being used, but giving up won't change that. Your tutors believed in your ability - it's hard work for any newly qualified therapist to find a job these days, and I know it's tough when you keep getting knocked back but don't chuck it in.

Who have you approached about a job and how have you gone about it? Maybe we can help with your CV or the way you sell yourself to salons?

Wow not thats got to be an offer you cant refuse :) Good Luck

Thanks Andy, but tutors couldn't get rid of me quick enough...i have even tried calling them foe advice but nothing...it was my tutor who did my cv for me when i got rejected from a job at posh hotel.

Thanks Andy, but tutors couldn't get rid of me quick enough...i have even tried calling them foe advice but nothing...it was my tutor who did my cv for me when i got rejected from a job at posh hotel.

I'm PM'ing you as we speak, the offer of help stands :)

Tony....take Andy up on his offer!

I'm PM'ing you as we speak, the offer of help stands :)
This is fantastic! Go for it.

I think you have been so unfairly treated :irked: and yes, it's descrimination and I think you should take it further.

Personally I would not mind a male beauty therapist. There are male nail techs and hairdressers and they have loads of female clients.

Latest posts

Back