Lots of questions - newbie!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashadilly

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm super new to nails. Have completed my manicure course and due to complete my gel skills course on the 14th but I still have so many questions. I've been reading over threads here like there's no tomorrow as i've realised that not everything is going to run as smoothly as you're taught in training!

I think my main questions are about the whole process. I want to offer my clients a gel manicure but also have the option of a 'luxury' manicure i.e massage etc. How do I go about this as of course we are taught to soak but on reading a few threads here, this is not good? I've already purchased some Kaeso products but now i'm worried that I shouldn't have bought soaking products. How will I go about doing my manicure before gel application?

Also during my manicure training, my tutor mentioned that CND Shellac is not good for nails? I always thought it was one of the better brands?

Should I also still be offering a file and polish? I want to focus on gel but is a file and polish still popular?

The gel i'm being trained to use is Bellissima Gel but i'm leaning more towards using Mani-Q by Young Nails, has anyone ever used either? Bellissima doesn't have such a wide range of colours & i've had mani-q on my own nails a number of times and it's lasted really, really well.

Also, what are the best start off colours? What would be your top 10?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered! & any replies would be greatly appreciated! :D

Last edited:
Yes still offer a file and polish, for me its more popular on the toes. I don't soak before I apply gel. My gel manicure is just gel and the preparation/application and a hand massage.

Top colours... Always stock a deep dark red, I have clients have this one colour all year and a bright well 'normal' red ;)

At the moment, french is popular, as are the nudes and neutrals. Pastels are also going well with the occasional bright summer colours.

And CND shellac isn't bad for nails, it requires no buffing/damage to the natural nail, it just isn't suitable for the clients with weak nails... Although they have now brought out brisa lite-which I think solves this problem. I could be wrong as I offer Bio sculpture not CND.
Good luck :) xx

Thanks! I thought of the reds etc. I wasn't sure what to go for as I didn't just want to go for what I liked as everyones different! Haha.

When you're doing the massage, do you do all of this before you apply your gel? Are you just cleansing the nail surface afterwards to remove the oils before application? The way I was taught to do a manicure looks and feels fantastic for the client but I was just worried that the excess oils from moisturisers and creams would interfere with the gel and cause lifting? I'm possibly just over thinking but I want to try and know enough before I start - I don't mind my own nails going wrong but I don't want anyone elses going wrong :|

I'm not really sure why I was told that shellac was a no-no, i've always heard good things :irked:

Anyway, thanks again!!

I would do the massage after you have done your gels, this way you will be dealing with a clean nail plate free from the oil and you won't have a clients slippery hand to manage!

Don't believe your trainer that said Shellac is bad. That information is completely false. It is extremely highly rated on here and seems like a great product to use.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

P.s, welcome to Salon Geek!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Think you've had the answers you need but wanted to say welcome to salon geek :) xx

I use Bio's hand cream so it is comparable with my gel system, as Stephanie said after I've applied the gel :) xx

Hi,

I'm super new to nails. Have completed my manicure course and due to complete my gel skills course on the 14th but I still have so many questions. I've been reading over threads here like there's no tomorrow as i've realised that not everything is going to run as smoothly as you're taught in training!

I think my main questions are about the whole process. I want to offer my clients a gel manicure but also have the option of a 'luxury' manicure i.e massage etc. How do I go about this as of course we are taught to soak but on reading a few threads here, this is not good? I've already purchased some Kaeso products but now i'm worried that I shouldn't have bought soaking products. How will I go about doing my manicure before gel application?

Also during my manicure training, my tutor mentioned that CND Shellac is not good for nails? I always thought it was one of the better brands?

Should I also still be offering a file and polish? I want to focus on gel but is a file and polish still popular?

The gel i'm being trained to use is Bellissima Gel but i'm leaning more towards using Mani-Q by Young Nails, has anyone ever used either? Bellissima doesn't have such a wide range of colours & i've had mani-q on my own nails a number of times and it's lasted really, really well.

Also, what are the best start off colours? What would be your top 10?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered! & any replies would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hi and welcome

1st of all, shellac is a great product and does not damage the natural nail, infact no gel/gel polish damages the natural nail if used correctly its actually techs who do it/use it or rremove it incorrectly :) infact shellac is a product that needs no buffing of the natural nail, removes quickly and cleanly and comes in some great colours, now with a lot of matching polishes, so your being given wrong information by your teacher.

There is no reason to not have a luxury manicure/pedicure on your list, infact it is good to have a standard and luxury option IMO, you just do your shellac or gel polish 1st, once competed you then do your soak/scrub/mask etc, this is because of the nail soaking up some of the water, which isn't good for a gel, if your doing normal polish or say vinylux then you can still do that last.

Colour wise, well this can depend on your area and age group to what is popular, but I'd have your basic French, then 2 neutral shades, 2 reds, 2 pinks, a very dark shade, 2 brights and then a couple of wild cards. (If your looking for a great polish have a read up on vinylux it is fast drying, 62 shades and a fabulous price)

Thanks everyone!

I was so confused by the Shellac comment - I just nodded my head when she said it & now I feel silly if I ask her what she meant by it. After reading all the comments on here I was just like :irked: whaat.

So yes I think Vinylux looks great! Literally no base coat what so ever? If I were to place an order, do I do this through CND directly or are there other sites? (not sure if I can ask this, eek)

My tutor told me about Zoya, anyone tried? On reading up it seems really good but I suppose until you try, you'll never know!

Thanks again guys, lovely warm welcome!! :hug:

After your Tutor said Shellac is bad I wouldn't trust her opinion on anything! Why not start your career with new technology from the get go. For regular nail polish just go with Vinylux. It's the future and and will set you apart from the ordinary. It's very, very affordable. Young Nails is a good product but I just switched to all CND and love it.

This is what worries me. From the off set she was amazing and went into great detail but it was just that comment that has thrown me. My course comes with some Bellissima kit but now i'm so confused as to what brand I want to offer. I think Vinylux is a definite as it just looks fantastic & has a fab colour range.

I'm not sure who would supply this, i've been having problems with even getting my Kaeso manicure range as i'm in the Highlands in Scotland. I'm not in the middle of no where but whenever I go to order anything, the postage is put up by at least £13 on top of standard delivery :(

I want to offer quality & because i'm just starting out, it's the perfect opportunity to buy quality now instead of wasting my money on rubbish from the start.

The fingertips Centre The Fingertips Centre in Scotland is the closest to you where you can get Vinylux and other CND products x

Latest posts

Back