Love sculpted nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CazBeautica

Reaction score
Hi ive only done a few sets of l & p sculpted nails now but im really loving them. I only finished my course a few weeks ago but i already prefer these to tip and overlay. Im wondering if i do well and continue to enjoy sculpting whether i'll have an advantage as ive not seen many pros offering sculpting?

I was struggling with infills recently but one of my ladies had a full set of sculpts on and needed infilling they were much easier to do (than a previous NNO set) and i was slightler happier with my work after that. Still taking me a while to do but that come with more practice i no.

I done my own last night and have to say im really pleased with them. Has anyone else got on well with sculpts straight after being trained? The harmony acrylic does help as its a fab product. I love it.:Love: I sculpted in clear but need more practice with pink and white. Any views on this? Thanks x

Me too ! Love the look and overall Finnish of a good sculpt ! Feel like I'm tailor making every nail :) I'm struggling with getting the pink / white balance just right atm. With the infils you really need to file them down alot in my opinion x x

Me too ! Love the look and overall Finnish of a good sculpt ! Feel like I'm tailor making every nail :) I'm struggling with getting the pink / white balance just right atm. With the infils you really need to file them down alot in my opinion x x

Yere i find them far better looking to do a good sculpt. And the fact that it was on myself (which is sometimes even harder in my opinion). Yere i think i assumed u didnt need to file off as much but im getting there. Im too much of a perfectionnist unfortunately and expect to much of myself far too quickly. :D

Im the same I love sculpting nails, they are just so much quicker to create, stronger and when doing French the smile line is not so blunt, it looks more natural I reckon :)

Also there is the fact that you can use cover pinks to correct broken or bitten nails - I love this element of scupting nails <3

What course did you do for sculpting?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Well ... I appreciate all your excitement, and thank you for saying 'sculpted' nails instead of sculptured nails which is wrong, bad English, and which I hate :biggrin:

However as one who has been sculpting nails for 27 years, and learned from the word go with the sculpting technique (as there were no such things as tips!!) I have to say I do not agree with a few things that you say.

A good sculpted nail should not look any different at all to a good tip and overlay. There is no reason at all why a sculpted nail would be easier to infil than any other kind of nail. Unlike you, I don't know of a good nail technician who can't sculpt and all my professional friends certainly do.

Sculpting doesn't make your nails any better or better looking than any other good technician who prefers to do tip and overlay; They don't last longer, they are only marginally stronger and that is only if they are built correctly ... For many they are weaker.

Every good technician should know how to sculpt. For some it is quicker not to apply a tip, but they often spend more time filing to get a good finish.

Some people ask only for sculpted nails having been led to believe they are better ... Some prefer only tips. I also don't see why a smile line should look any more defined when sculpting or tipping. You are doing the exact same thing apart from on a paper form instead of a plastic tip.

Enjoy your sculpting but there is a place for both sculpted and tips ... I use both equally.

What course did you do for sculpting?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I trained to sculpt nails with EZ Flow and Crystal Nails :)

Enjoy your sculpting but there is a place for both sculpted and tips ... I use both equally.[/QUOTE]

How do you decide which is best to use on what type of nails?

I know all this will be covered on my soon to start course, just curious! :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Enjoy your sculpting but there is a place for both sculpted and tips ... I use both equally.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek[/QUOTE]

It's really simple ... I choose the option that is going to be the easiest for me and give the best result for the client. The reasons behind that choice have to do with the shape and condition of the nails I'm going to do.

I understand what your saying geeg and have been reading alot on here. I also have your nailclass book, which is very helpful. I do trust what u say about carrying out both treatments and i plan too but was pointing out how much i enjoyed sculpting. :biggrin: I really dont no of many pros around my area who offer this service. Many do tips and overlay, just not found anyone as yet who offers sculpted nails.

I trained with harmony using fusion acrylic x

Well ... I appreciate all your excitement, and thank you for saying 'sculpted' nails instead of sculptured nails which is wrong, bad English, and which I hate :biggrin:

However as one who has been sculpting nails for 27 years, and learned from the word go with the sculpting technique (as there were no such things as tips!!) I have to say I do not agree with a few things that you say.

A good sculpted nail should not look any different at all to a good tip and overlay. There is no reason at all why a sculpted nail would be easier to infil than any other kind of nail. Unlike you, I don't know of a good nail technician who can't sculpt and all my professional friends certainly do.

Sculpting doesn't make your nails any better or better looking than any other good technician who prefers to do tip and overlay; They don't last longer, they are only marginally stronger and that is only if they are built correctly ... For many they are weaker.

Every good technician should know how to sculpt. For some it is quicker not to apply a tip, but they often spend more time filing to get a good finish.

Some people ask only for sculpted nails having been led to believe they are better ... Some prefer only tips. I also don't see why a smile line should look any more defined when sculpting or tipping. You are doing the exact same thing apart from on a paper form instead of a plastic tip.

Totally new but start my training soon :Love:

Can I ask when and why you would use a tip rather than sculpt and vice versa?

Totally new but start my training soon :Love:

Can I ask when and why you would use a tip rather than sculpt and vice versa?

When I use a tip it is usually because I cannot in no way on earth get a good fit with the sculpting form.

The very inner edge of a sculpting form needs to be flush underneath the free edge of the nail or just over on a very bitten down free edge of a nail to prevent your acrylic or gel product leaking through that, and then onto your clients skin.

If I cannot achieve that flush fitting, then the tips come out to play!

There are probably many other reasons for different techs though, not just mine :)

Last edited:

It's really simple ... I choose the option that is going to be the easiest for me and give the best result for the client. The reasons behind that choice have to do with the shape and condition of the nails I'm going to do.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I am awaiting arrival of your book, can't wait to get started on the course!

I understand what your saying geeg and have been reading alot on here. I also have your nailclass book, which is very helpful. I do trust what u say about carrying out both treatments and i plan too but was pointing out how much i enjoyed sculpting. :biggrin: I really dont no of many pros around my area who offer this service. Many do tips and overlay, just not found anyone as yet who offers sculpted nails.

Well enjoy! :hug: it is most technicians favourite thing to do if they are artists. Very satisfying.

I did just want to point out generally, that tipping is not a second class service to sculpting. I know you were not saying that, but some technicians are what I have always called, 'sculpting snobs' and they do imply (especially to clients) that if a technician doesn't sculpt then the service is somehow second best ..... Not true.

Many peoples work I have seen who brag about sculpting should use tips, as their nails are not good sculpted.

Sculpting is a great service but not suitable for everyone's nails.

What's your book called? :) xx

I did just want to point out generally, that tipping is not a second class service to sculpting. I know you were not saying that, but some technicians are what I have always called, 'sculpting snobs' and they do imply (especially to clients) that if a technician doesn't sculpt then the service is somehow second best ..... Not true.

I'm so glad you said this Geeg, I've always got the impression more experienced techs look down on the tip and overlay service compared to sculpting. So much so that I've just started my sculpting course. I'm glad I'll be able to offer both services to my clients once I'm finished the course, but its good to hear that nails created with tips are just as good :)
Thank you xx

i sculpt and love it because by my own admission i am rubbish at applying tips.
i hated them . took me an age to fit them and then i was taking lumps out of the clients nails. i gave up on extensions because of them.

untill i discovered sculpting.

forms and reverse technique were my eureka moments.

only for them i wouldn't be doing extensions at all.

Latest posts

Back