Lumpy under Shellac base coat help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarnails

Reaction score
Hello!
I do all my cuticle work with cuticle away and use the
cuticle pusher, curett, scrub fresh and wash it off with water
and scent stations. I am finding on some clients I am getting
So many lumps / fizzies at base coat stage. I spend a fair bit
of time on prep so not sure if I am scraping nail bed but try to
stay light with pusher. Has anyone got nay tricks to make it a
bit more flawless before base coat...as that is when you notice
I feel like it also looks unprofessional if I put base coat on and
then have to remove it again etc.
Hope you can help :)

The most common cause is pushing bits of nail plate up during PEP or leaving behind any debris. Hold the nail up to the light to make sure you havn't left any fuzzies from Scrubfreshing, as sometimes they can be sneaky and be so fine you have to look for them. Make sure your lint free pad is soaked with Scrubfresh to decrease the risk of fuzzies too.
Also, if your base coat is not shaken enough it can appear grainy on the nail plate which won't help. Fingernail Fixer has a video to show this, have a Google for it if you are not aware of Holly's work.

Hope you find a solution. :)

Do you have a good quality pusher? My first generic one was too harsh and left a rough surface after use. I changed to a Tweezerman pusher and it has a much finer end and is so much more gentle on the nail.

Thank you I will try those tips...I have not tried the tweezerman one so will give it a shot. I was taking off red polish today before shellac so not sure if that has dries the nails out even more to make them flaky. If the above does not work would you usually just take off top coat and try rubbing with scrub fresh again to try and smooth it a bit more?

Make sure base coat is super thin as too much base coat can cause problems.

In the early days we saw this problem but we switched from the metal cuticle spoon to an orangewood stick and the problem vanished over night.

Latest posts

Back