Macmillan Cancer Relief

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Reaction score
macmillan.gif

I have posted this on behalf of Herman.

Macmillan Cancer Relief helps people who are living with cancer.

Each and every day 739 people in the UK are told they have cancer. More than one million people in the UK today have had a cancer diagnosis, and more than one in three will be diagnosed at some time in their life.

Every penny Macmillan receive from their supporters is precious. As they rely on voluntary donations for 91% of our income, they simply couldn’t do what they do for people affected by cancer without that support.

I have decided to participate in the "Great Milk (stout) Ride", Which is a 20 mile charitable bike ride in aid of Macmillan Cancer Relief. For More info on the ride check out the link below.

The Ride is on the 4th of September from Patley Bridge (Yorkshire Dales).

Myself and 2 friends are entering as a team and are hoping to raise at least £1000.00.

We need sponsors and are looking for people to help us raise funds by taking on the "Smartie Challenge".

Heres how it works:
Buy a tube of Smarties and eat the contents....Yum Yum. Then carry the tube with you at all times and ask each and every person you meet to give 20p towards the Macmillan Cancer Relief fund. Place the 20p in the tube and keep going until the tube is full, there should be around £14 in the tube. Write a cheque for the amount in the tube, made payable to Great Milk Stout Ride or GMSR its easier and send it to me and we will send it on with the rest we have raised.

Please let me know if you fancy the challenge by posting on this thread and if you would like to make an individual donation please let me know or send me a PM.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted on how we are doing with our target.

PS. we need a team name....any idea's

http://www.gmsr.co.uk/htm/start.htm
http://www.macmillan.org.uk

Lilly please put me down as a sponsor as the McMillan is a charity that I support after how they took care of both my mom and dad in their last few weeks of life. I will be buying my smarties tube today. Please post again on the site nearer the time to remind us all.

Good luck
Love Val

Awhhh thanks....yeah i will keep you all posted.......

I have been thinking about doing a sponsored male waxing session at the salon and getting the local paper invlved so if you know of any models pm me LOL

Amanda

I would like a green wrist band but you can only get them in Nidderdale.

I will buy a tube of smarties today!

the macmillan nurses are amazing, they nursed my mum up until she died of cancer,
when my dad had to take unpaid leave to take mum for treatment they would help pay certain bill such as the telephone bill as they saw it as a necessity for my mum to ring people as my dad had to work.
they are amazing people
so put me down lily.
i will post my donation to you lily.
please people sponsor lily these nurses are amzing people and make such a difference in peoples lives which have been affected by cancer and terminal illnesses

Thanks Joanne.........

Please send to
Elite
Oxford House
52 Lower Oxford Street
castleford
WF10 4AF

Thankyou for your support!

Can you get us bracelets Lily?

I will ask Herman for you!

Amanda

Lily I have just bought my smarties!

The shop keeper gave me 20p and I have just asked everyone at work!

Up to £3.20 already - not bad for five mins work!

Fingertips ND said:
Lily I have just bought my smarties!

The shop keeper gave me 20p and I have just asked everyone at work!

Up to £3.20 already - not bad for five mins work!

WOW thats fab!!!!!!

Thankyou so so much

Amanda

Everyone should have a go!

It's so easy!

Next time your in the shop just buy a tube of smarties and just ask around for 20p's!

It's surprising how quickly it fills up!

Up to £6.60 now!

Lily said:
PS. we need a team name....any idea's

The 20p Smarties
Macmillans Smarties
Smartie Pants
Smart Smarties
The 20p Fundraisers
The Munsters lol

Lily put me down for the smartie challenge what a great excuse to eat sweeties and raise money for a good cause at the same time.

Well done you
x

Thank you all for your pledges of help, I guess I will now have to dig my bike out from behind all the clutter in the garage and see if the saddle is as hard and painful as I remember.

The main reason I’ am doing the ride for Macmillans is due to loosing a family member to Leukaemia. He was diagnosed at the age of 6 but never complained (ever). He lived his life to the full, he had many holidays with his Mum, Dad and Brother, he learned to play the guitar to a high standard and was part of a band with his school mates.

He had numerous visits to the hospital, and after a while you start to take these visits for granted until one day he didn’t come home……He died at the age of 16.

So….I decided to do the ride and asked 2 friends to ride with me (here’s the ironic bit) One of the friends I asked had been told the day before that his Mum had been diagnosed with Lung Cancer. (I didn’t know at the time of asking)

The Macmillan nurses rely on donations to do what they do, they are not part of the NHS. So any contribution you can make would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Hermie………..Lee

Latest posts

Back