Maiden name

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi, I always wanted to keep my maiden name when I got married but gave into tradition , but...I have always felt a bit sad about losing my maiden name , I wonder is it still mine to use as I want or do I need permission ?

You can call yourself what you like honey. It's only your passport really you need to be aware of. If you book flights you need the same name on etc. Think about ID though. I have some things in my married name and some not, and always need to think twice about what's in what name.

You can call yourself what you like honey. It's only your passport really you need to be aware of. If you book flights you need the same name on etc. Think about ID though. I have some things in my married name and some not, and always need to think twice about what's in what name.

Hi jmel thank you for replying :) sorry ....I should have made myself a bit more clear ....
I just wanted to insert my maiden name in the middle of my married
name but that's great advice about ID and passports :hug: thank you minky

Then go right ahead and do it hun!

Joy xx

Mmmmm know this may be a tricky one.I have been married twice and both times in order to change back to my maiden name I had to do it by deed poll. The reason for this is that no one ie banks, drivers licence, passport, credit cards will change a name unless you provide this as evidence. You can easily do this at UK Deed Poll Service - How to change your legal name by Deed Poll and the charge is £33.00

You can apply for a deed of change of name. This is easy to do but you would then have to change your name by providing a copy of this to passport, which would cost you full amount, driving license and bank etc. It does become complicated if you use 2 names, trust me, I have tried to do it for the same reason and it is a nightmare! :)

It depends exactly what you want to do with your name. If you want it changed formally then yes, you need a deed poll, which is a very straight forward document. If you want to change your name informally, then you can call yourself whatever you like, whenever you like as long as a few ID documents are in your official name. I know quite a few people who have a 'Professional Name'. Legally you can just adopt a new name and are not bound to do anything official - which is why I said just to go ahead and do it.

I didn't need a deed poll cert when I chnged from my married back to maiden! Just my birth cert, marriage and divorce certs.
But I have changed my sons name informerly, so he is known as my new married name but on his passport and bank he has his fathers( my old married) name. So you can just change it at the dr dentist school etc without anything legal being changed.hth.x

I changed back to my maiden name after my divorce without any problems at all and that was with all documents & banks etc, in saying that it was 16 years ago thing have changed a great deal especially of recent.

Hi, Thank you for all your posts some things to take on board , I will think about them all before I decide :) thanks again x minky

Latest posts

Back