Make up artist - What to wear?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairstudent

Reaction score
Hi
I apologise in advance if i am writing in the wrong area?!

I was just wondering what those of you who are makeup artists wear to work.

I do Bridal Make Up predominatly however sometimes i do, do the hair too. So i generally wear smart on trend clothes.
However i saw a make up artist with a really nice apron and thought that this would work too.
What do you wear?

I have a beauty tunic that i wear for nails only.

CLaire x

If you work freelance and have a logo, I would get a black t shirt printed up.

It looks really smart but practical, is advertising you all the time and is comfy for a full days work.

Hope this helps.

If you work freelance and have a logo, I would get a black t shirt printed up.

It looks really smart but practical, is advertising you all the time and is comfy for a full days work.

Hope this helps.

Great idea.

I was taught that an MUA should wear black and be fairly smart.

It depends what I'm doing though, if I'm on a shoot I'll normally wear something fashionable but comfy or if I'm doing bridal or occasion make up I'll wear a tunic with black trousers or leggings.
Rhiannon x

I wear a black tunic with make up artist on it - everyone knows who you are then and its smart - i like the aprons and the brush belts too

I wear a black tunic with make up artist on it - everyone knows who you are then and its smart - i like the aprons and the brush belts too

Love love love my brush belt!
Rhiannon x

I do a lot of Bridal all over the place and also catwalk shows and photographic, it depends very much on what I'm doing and where and what times of day, its all down to lighting, I hate color reflection from my clothing, ( think bright pink or blue!)makes a huge difference when its critical; SO I do have a black tee shirt logoed and trouser suit, for when its on mass say at a show, I wear frequently a white outfit (cotton and loose!) but sort of smart for Bridal as frequently I am working in poor light in old chateaux's and the brightness helps reflect a bit back on the face. I always try look really smart and professional as this is how I try to project myself. I recently saw some photos with the MU in the background for a wedding in jeans and tartan lumberjack shirt it looked so wrong and unprofessional. xxx

I usually wear all black to gigs (black cardigan, black tank top, and black leggings) and try to have my hair pulled back, as it gets in the way sometimes. This includes black flats to help stay comfortable through the hours and a brush belt around my waist. I will wear subtle accessories, such as earrings or a necklace to help still give the outfit some style, but I find it super comfortable to work in leggings and loose fitted clothing rather than an actual outfit. :)

I always wear black. If I'm on a shoot, then I try and be as comfortable as possible, but still looking smart. Flat shoes always help as you can run on and off set quicker, and your feet dont ache from standing up most of the day!! If it's a film job, and an outside location, then I just go with what will keep me warm when standing around in cold weather like this! When I do Bridal make-up I go for the smart black option, brush belt, hair tied back. I like to look smart for the client, it just helps to project a good image.
I have thought about a tunic, but not invested in one for make-up yet, but I like the idea of getting a t-shirt printed up!

Latest posts

Back