Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered this the other day (got early access to the new collection). Very excited to try it because as much as I love skin base, I don't love it on my super dry skin!

Ooh you'll have to tell me what you think!

It should be arriving today so I'll let you know. My skin is sooooo dry and horrible at the moment, maybe this'll help.

Hydra veil is amazing, i am totally in love with it, makes skinbase foundation even more beautiful! xXx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hi I posted a few weeks ago about one of my brides having PCOS, on usual makeup that I use in my kit didn't cover it. I tried the Dermablend and that was worse. It didn't sit nicely on the skin no matter what I did. Help any other suggestions? I want to be able to give her a great finish, she loves everything else that I have done, she's booked me .

Hi I posted a few weeks ago about one of my brides having PCOS, on usual makeup that I use in my kit didn't cover it. I tried the Dermablend and that was worse. It didn't sit nicely on the skin no matter what I did. Help any other suggestions? I want to be able to give her a great finish, she loves everything else that I have done, she's booked me .

What other foundations have you tried? Do you do airbrush? Airbase might be a good choice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

What do you guys think of airbrushed make up? X

Can anyone recommend good eyeliners?
I use Mac gel liners at the moment, but I'd like a pencil!

Can anyone recommend good eyeliners?
I use Mac gel liners at the moment, but I'd like a pencil!
My current favourite pencils are NYX's slide on pencils. Loads of colours and they are waterproof.

I also love Sleek's Eau La La Liners, for the same reasons as above and you can find them in Superdrug, not just online.

What do you guys think of airbrushed make up? X
Personally I'm on the fence because I haven't really practised enough to master it. But I've seen photos that have used it and it looks great. I need to dig out my airbrush and get the girls round for a practise I think!

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on foundation application please. I sometimes have issues with the foundation looking cakey even though I have cleansed, toned moisturised and primed. This tends to happen around the nose area. Any insight into what I am possibly doing wrong or am not doing would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

K4ren :confused:

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on foundation application please. I sometimes have issues with the foundation looking cakey even though I have cleansed, toned moisturised and primed. This tends to happen around the nose area. Any insight into what I am possibly doing wrong or am not doing would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

What do you apply with? And what type of foundation are you using ? Normally it goes cakey because you have too much product and possibly the wrong type of foundation for the skin .

You could try a buffing brush or a beauty blender sponge to work it into the skin.

Hi,

Many thanks

more info needed! What foundation are you using / skin type / how are you applying?

I am using Mac Prep n Prime and their Matchmaster Foundation and applying with a stipple brush. It only appears to be the nose area. Skin is combination but nose is not extremely oily and this product is meant to control oil. Perhaps it was a case of using too much! I do wait for a few minutes after applying Prep n Prime but thinking maybe a quick blot before applying foundation.

Thanks for you replies so far.

Hydra Veil by Illamasqua use this as a primer on the skin its like an instant thrist quencher for the skin :)

I am using Mac Prep n Prime and their Matchmaster Foundation and applying with a stipple brush. It only appears to be the nose area. Skin is combination but nose is not extremely oily and this product is meant to control oil. Perhaps it was a case of using too much! I do wait for a few minutes after applying Prep n Prime but thinking maybe a quick blot before applying foundation.

It could be too much product yeah. With silicone based primers you really only need a tiny amount. Maybe try a beauty blender / make up sponge to apply the foundation around the nose area, or just to blend it out, if too much is going on with your brush. Or just using your hands to blend it in a bit more than the brush.

Here are a few tips and a couple of questions :)

The MAC vitamin spritz is great before applying anything as it freshens up the skin. Clients also love the smell and feel refreshed also.
Dermalogica active moist always works on most skin types.
Face and body is good for clients that have a tan and you need to blend their tanned chest with their whiter face without applying full on foundation on their body.
I dont like the No 7 green primer as it cakes and makes the skin look bad.

Question - can make-up artists get discounts for most brands? I have one in MAC and tend to use most of their products as a result.

I have this problem with foundation, I've tried double wear which was absolutely awful, max factor pan stick and Karaja. But just recently bought Stila Illuminating foundation and it didn't do this so the best so far x

I always thought that Prep + Prime was a general primer, not a specific oil control one? MAC actually make an oil control lotion, as do lots of brands. Try one of those on that area.

Matchmaster is a beautiful foundation, I have never found it to look cakey on anyone so I think skin preparation is the key here.

Hi there everyone :)

I wanted to get the Mac Face and Body Foundation in shades close to the Prolongwear foundation in NW20 and NW25..
Could anyone tell me which these might be ??

I visited the mac counter recently and the lady there suggested the shade NC25 for me.. I'm Irish with typical Irish skin, pale with freckles and I burn quite easily. I did some research regarding skin undertones to help choosing a correct foundation, as I didnt know if I was pink or yellow undertone.. Turns out I'm pink, and the website I was on said that the NW colour was for pink undertones an NC was for yellow undertones.
Does anyone know if this is right?!

Sorry for the ramble, I'm so confused!!

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Martina x

Yes that's right. MAC pinkier shades are the NWs and the NCs are yellower. The face & body Ns are more neutral though than pink. Id go to a MAC counter and try N1 or N2.

Latest posts

Back