Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in soho today so ended up doing some damage in Illamasqua! It's like a sweety shop in there.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I bought the Eyeko skinny brush mascara yesterday and I LOVE it! However, I think a lot of what I love about it is the brush! So I'm not sure it's worth buying one for my kit yet, gonna try it out with a disposable. But Nic from Pixiwoo is always giving them the tube, when she uses it on a client so that makes me think it's better with the brush that comes with it.

I've always been of the opinion that mascara is something not worth splurging on, because it has to be replaced so often. But I think this is worth the splurge.

Does anyone use a lip palette or specific brand for lips?

Does anyone use a lip palette or specific brand for lips?

I make my own palettes. I like to have my own choice of colours and textures in there.

OH MY GOD! I am already obsessed with the newly launched Charlotte Tilbury cosmetics! Anybody else bought any CT products?

xProjectPrettyx

OH MY GOD! I am already obsessed with the newly launched Charlotte Tilbury cosmetics! Anybody else bought any CT products?

xProjectPrettyx
No because I looked at the prices! hahaha. Also, I wasn't sure of their cruelty free status, as so many high end brands test. But I haven't researched it.

Just thought I'd mention the debenhams near me is selling off all the artdeco 50% off I just brought loads never tried it before but the blushers are fab really pigmented. Just incase your local debenhams also stock it xxx

Hi, has anyone heard of Helen e cosmetics, my trainer told me to get the skin smoother but haven't heard it mentioned on here, not even Helen e products? Tia

Hi, has anyone heard of Helen e cosmetics, my trainer told me to get the skin smoother but haven't heard it mentioned on here, not even Helen e products? Tia

I bought a small kit in a pouch from them at the beauty show last year, had some sort of creme foundation, a sparkly pigment & a yellow concealor. To be honest I didnt find the stuff great, the woman was very pushy so I felt I had to but them and the foundation is about 5 shades too dark for my skin (unfortunately I was new & afraid to say anything then!). The pigment is nice but I havent used anything else from it, others may find it different though :)

I saw them at the beauty show and also clothes show too. I bought some glitter, didnt get the impression they were a pro brand. Wasnt hugely impressed by the makeup but do like the glitter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've also been having problems with ills masque foundation it just sits on my skin and transfers off onto everything. Puts me off using it on brides. I'm very pale they're the only brand I can find that matches perfectly, I did love Estée Lauder maximum coverage but they've stopped doing light shades and you do get flash back on photos!

My little tip for people is to get your bride to be and brides maids to go around a few beauty counters and try a few foundations, obviously point them in the right direction! ive never came across a counter who won't give samples, foundation is such an important thing, base is key! It's so difficult to get a foundation to match a person skin colour and texture perfectly, I just haven't got the funds to go n buy lots n lots of foundation when many off them don't have a very long use by date, i use the sample pots on lots of my lady's n very handy for holidays ;) x

That's was ment to say illamasqua lol silly iPhones! 😒

I've also been having problems with ills masque foundation it just sits on my skin and transfers off onto everything. Puts me off using it on brides. I'm very pale they're the only brand I can find that matches perfectly, I did love Estée Lauder maximum coverage but they've stopped doing light shades and you do get flash back on photos!
What skin type do you have? Have you tried with a primer?

I'm very dry and I use the hydra veil when I want to wear skin base.

But it won't suit every skin, no foundation does. You need a variety of formulas/finishes.

Dry in the winter but normal through summer, I've tried hydra veil and a smash box primer, still have the same issues I'm hoping it's just because my skin is pants in the winter lol it's the only brand of foundation I've found that matches my skin perfectly. I use 115 in the rich liquid foundation it's extremely light or 02 in skin base :)

Last edited:

My little tip for people is to get your bride to be and brides maids to go around a few beauty counters and try a few foundations, obviously point them in the right direction! ive never came across a counter who won't give samples, foundation is such an important thing, base is key! It's so difficult to get a foundation to match a person skin colour and texture perfectly, I just haven't got the funds to go n buy lots n lots of foundation when many off them don't have a very long use by date, i use the sample pots on lots of my lady's n very handy for holidays ;) x

Are you saying that you don't use foundation from your kit for bridal makeup? You send them off to source their own samples then you use that on them?

No I use them from my kit but I try and get lots of samples, instead of buying loads and them going off, most foundations last 1-2 years. it's easier if they already know what works with their skin as there's lots out on the market so I point them in the right direction, they use their own samples just to see how they get on with the product day to day, so you know it's the correct 1 to use on their big day, I suppose you could use what they have but you would have to reflect that in your price.

That seems too much of a faff!
Imo brides are gettin their makeup done for like what 12 hours, skin type isn't the most important thing as long as it looks good and has longevity as its a one off occasion.
Nars seems a good all rounder to me & it doesn't oxidise which is even better!
If your using all these samples, how are you keeping track of ingredients eg for things like allergies as products vary from brand to brand.

Yes you do reflect that in your price...that you're a pro MUA that carries a wide range of foundation types in colours and slin types and finishes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

the only thing i ask brides to get themselves is a lip colour as obviously I wont be around to touch up all day.

You should carry a wide range of foundations because whats the point in them hiring a MUA for their big day if your asking them to get their own sample?

What's the best foundation to use on brides and photography work I no I need something without SPF, I'm just starting out so something cheap but gd thanks girls x

Latest posts

Back