Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hello Geeks!

Soo with wedding season and bridal fayres fast approaching, I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can all exchange our favourite tips, hints, advice and make-up secrets!!

Even if it obvious to you- it might not be so obvious to someone else and might in fact help a fellow geek.

So, who wants to start?!...

:hug:

My all time fav is benefit depuffing eye gel. It cools the eye area, brightens & takes puffiness away! Brill for brides that have been too nervous/excited to sleep the night before. Xx

Benefit Brow Zings... love the colours, coverage and staying power!

Graftobian cream foundations, fab coverage

Oh, and when a bride says she wants to look natural, she means she wants to look flawless without wearing makeup!!

Great thread as I'm a newly qualified make-up artist so really looking for some tips and advice. Don't feel too confident yet :(

not using anything illuminating, shimmery or glossy for brides when youve got camera flashes going off all day

never stick to one range, youll find bits & bobs from everywhere that youll love.

melt all your lipsticks down into a palette, so much easier to carry than seperates and invest in a good label maker so you never get mixed up with your shades.

always carry notebook, camera and a blank face chart incase you pick up tips/ inspiration

always carry tweezers, nail scissors, floss/ toothpicks and eyedrops, cant afford a bride panicing because shes got a stray moustache hair or something in her teeth

Can I ask about a good mattifier please?
Thanks x

cant afford a bride panicing because shes got a stray moustache hair or something in her teeth

PMSL!!! I read that in completely the wrong way :lol::lol:

Any good tips for dark circles?!

Ooo, I like this thread. Its nice to share tips and pick up ideas, here's mine:

Find out if the bride is having a tan for the wedding and if so ask her to have a trial tan for when you do the makeup trial.

A white wedding dress can make the skin look washed out so adjust the makeup to suit.

Blend the makeup well otherwise it may look too harsh in black and white photo's.

Avoid products that contain a high titanium dioxide content as it reflects the camera light and looks like white powder on pictures - not a good look! Can be found in some SPFs and mineral makeup as well as other products so check the ingredients.

Another one..... Always carry safety pins and needle and thread in kit. I once did the makeup for a wedding and the bridesmaids dresses weren't sewn too well so didn't fit in places and panic errupted but a few pins and stitches here and there and they were good to go lol.

melt all your lipsticks down into a palette, so much easier to carry than seperates

NEVER melt lipsticks or concealers to repot :eek::eek:, as they are already 'soft' so there is no need to melt them.

By applying heat to them it will separate the product and mess with the integrity of the lipstick or concealer, oils get separated, shimmer rises to the top, things can happen to it.

I often scrape a chunk off the lipstick (for example) with my spatula, then press it lightly into the pan, repeat till it's full, then "level" it off, for a nice even and smooth finish/appearance, so no need for melting!

I keep all my clean brushes in a clear plastic box, once I've used them I put them into another box.

This way your used brushes don't contaminate your clean brushes so when you get home from a job you clean the brushes in the dirty box and when they're dry put them back in the clean box.

Hope I explained this properly!!

I keep all my clean brushes in a clear plastic box, once I've used them I put them into another box.

This way your used brushes don't contaminate your clean brushes so when you get home from a job you clean the brushes in the dirty box and when they're dry put them back in the clean box.

Hope I explained this properly!!

Or keep something like MAC brush cleanser with you. Put a little bit on a paper towel, swirl the brush in it until it is clean and it dries quickly ready to use again!

Or keep something like MAC brush cleanser with you. Put a little bit on a paper towel, swirl the brush in it until it is clean and it dries quickly ready to use again!

Of course, clean your brushes between clients, I meant for end of day to clean your brushes properly and disinfect them thoroughly.

always keep a sensitive range of makeup brands, ie mineral, no spf, latex/silicone free as some contain irritants in the cleansers, or primers. It just helps that if you have someone with an overly reddish undertones and maybe a slight rash, to conceal with your normal kit would be a waste. Its always about mixing and knowing the skin type your dealing with! hths xoxo

I about to start offering bridal make up soon. How many sets of brushes do you have in your kit usually?

Where is best place to buy these pots/palettes for Decanting lipsticks??

I used a pill box out of the chemist cost a few pounds and used acetone to remove the days etc and works really well. U can also look at a company called japonesque that sell palettes but they are quite expensive. I would also recommend deporting eyeshadows and putting them into an empty pallets such as a z pallete, .

I used a pill box out of the chemist cost a few pounds and used acetone to remove the days etc and works really well. U can also look at a company called japonesque that sell palettes but they are quite expensive. I would also recommend deporting eyeshadows and putting them into an empty pallets such as a z pallete, .

You can get the clear boxes from Muji if the japonesque ones seem expensive. Personally, i really like the Japonesque ones, I have a few. They're flatter so are easier to travel with.

I about to start offering bridal make up soon. How many sets of brushes do you have in your kit usually?

This doesn't really make sense as there aren't really "sets" of brushes in my kit. You just have to think about which brushes you use most of, how many people you are making up, the sort of look that you are doing etc.

Also, as, I mentioned previously on this thread, have some MAC brush cleanser handy, they dry really quickly when using that so you can re use your brushes straight away if you need to.

I am happy to recommedn some of my favourite brushes if you're unsure of where to start x

Latest posts

Back