Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you like the kryolan? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I love Kryolan. I feel it moved with my skin and makes it look like skin rather than a china doll. I love MAC more so for their eyeshadows, lippies and blushers. I've been using MAC products on myself and clients forever, but I do find that no matter what foundations I use with MAC over time they've all stopped agreeing with my skin. Dries me out a lot, either too mat to the point the product separates on my face or too oily to the point it looks like my face is sweating even with the aid of blotting powders etc. I've tried all sorts of mac foundations now. Studio Fix, Face and Body, Match master, pro-long. nothing is working for me now. I've left mac foundations behind for my own skin now and since started to wear Nars Sheer Glow. I cannot express in words how much I love this foundation with a passion. I look glowy/dewy without looking as if I'm sweating on my face and my skin looks flawless with only a light amount applied. Love it. May I add this is just a personal opinion for my skin. I still use MAC on clients but find that Kryolan is so much easier to use with such a nice lasting finish. A decent primer is also a must before foundation is applied. Stops your pores getting clogged by product and lets them breathe.

:)

xProjectPrettyx

Hi all

Great tips :D May I ask what does everyone use to carry their make up in?
I need something big enough to carry everything around in but that is hardy enough withstand it being in the boot/back seat and easy to transport so ideally wheels!

Any ideas?

Hi all

Great tips :D May I ask what does everyone use to carry their make up in?
I need something big enough to carry everything around in but that is hardy enough withstand it being in the boot/back seat and easy to transport so ideally wheels!

Any ideas?

B&Q Metal look tool box, looks exactly like a makeup box/ similar opening as the MAC train. Amazing thing! I have 2! Bargain as well! £29 each! En route home so will take a pic later and show you all :)

xProjectPrettyx

Hi
Can anyone recommend extremely good eyeshadows?
I like heavy pigmented shadows where a tiny bit goes a long way.
Thank you

Hi
Thank you

Any MAC or ILLAMASQUA are brill. If you want something a bit cheaper try Sleek palettes sold at Superdrug x

Hi
Thank you

I find urban decay shadows are really heavily pigmented the colours go on beautifully, I also love mac and illamasqua x x

For bright colours, i don't think you can beat sugarpill's eyeshadows. I love inglot and illamasqua too. Yaby are great for your kit too as they're teeny so you can put loads of colours in a z pallette.

We use a Nuskin Galvanic spa treatment before applying make up, has outstanding results before applying make up :)

Hi
Thank you

Try Coastal Scents palettes if you don't want to spend crazy amounts of money/time building up your collection. If you do then I'd say MAC :)

Has anyone else found that the Illamasqua Skin Base foundation is sh*t?
It actually feels like wax & creases into every single line, wrinkle & pore...& I don't even have wrinkles! (yet). My skin is somewhat normal with slightly oily T-Zone...I don't have to use powder with MAC Studio Fix, with this stuff I have to heavy powder everywhere to stop it creasing as quick! What also annoyed me is I went in & said I needed a lighter one with cool tones as my current one is too dark & too warm. So she gives me a darker one with warm tones. Greeeeat. Suppose the only plus is that it does look like real skin, a shame it doesn't stay like it!

Try Coastal Scents palettes if you don't want to spend crazy amounts of money/time building up your collection. If you do then I'd say MAC :)

It actually feels like wax & creases into every single line, wrinkle & pore...& I don't even have wrinkles! (yet). My skin is somewhat normal with slightly oily T-Zone...I don't have to use powder with MAC Studio Fix, with this stuff I have to heavy powder everywhere to stop it creasing as quick! What also annoyed me is I went in & said I needed a lighter one with cool tones as my current one is too dark & too warm. So she gives me a darker one with warm tones. Greeeeat. Suppose the only plus is that it does look like real skin, a shame it doesn't stay like it!

No, I haven't. Skin Base is a fantastic foundation. Just because you can't wear it doesn't mean you should write it off altogether. I wouldn't be without it in my kit.

Obviously everyone has different opinions & makeup is a minefield for this type of thing but I really don't think it performs well. I assume it would be good for people with really dry skin but I think that's all it's got going for it as far as my experience is concerned

Obviously everyone has different opinions & makeup is a minefield for this type of thing but I really don't think it performs well. I assume it would be good for people with really dry skin but I think that's all it's got going for it as far as my experience is concerned

I have normal skin and have never had an issue wearing it. I also find that it mixes beautifully with other foundations to create a different finish. If anything, I think it would be leat suitable for very dry skin, unless using Hydra Veil or another very moisturising primer first.

Of course everyone has different opinions, but I haven't found that it doesn't work on anyone so far.

See I'm with Andrea on this one, I don't think skin base is good for really dry skin, as it can cling to dry patches. But hydra veil is a fantastic product and definitely sorts that out on my dry skin. I think it's a lovely foundation. I love how it looks on.

Has anyone tried the skin base lift yet? I got a bonus this month and am tempted to blow some of it on an Illamasqua order (even though I already blew a bunch of it on an OCC/Sugarpill haul! haha).

Must admit im not blown away by it! I find it too thick to blend, it seems to set and just sit on the skin looking cakey. It takes me like 3 fifty pence coin size dollops to cover my face, that cant be right! I am a pro mua by the way, i can blend other foundations flawlessly! Trialled it on my own conbination face, didnt blend right on the dry, oily or normal bits! Am i missing something?? It must be a best selling award winner for a reason! Xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek mobile app

It's so wet & cakey on my skin, it doesn't seem to adhere to it which is wierd and it creases instantly! I'm not going to chuck it away because in a year or so I'll probably use it a different way & like it! It was ok mixed with the last drags of my Studio Fix but for now it's going in my 'condemned' pile! NOT worth the £27 imo! Think it's USP is that it's supposed to look like real skin, which it kinda sorta does but then it just looks like a hot mess an hour down the line & melts in sunlight oh god just get it away from me! haha. I can get Studio Fix to look like real skin with a little bit of buffing & it lasts all day and well into the night, I feel like I've cheated on Studio Fix...if only they made it without SPF.

P.s I also agree it is too thick to blend properly!

Must admit im not blown away by it! I find it too thick to blend, it seems to set and just sit on the skin looking cakey. It takes me like 3 fifty pence coin size dollops to cover my face, that cant be right! I am a pro mua by the way, i can blend other foundations flawlessly! Trialled it on my own conbination face, didnt blend right on the dry, oily or normal bits! Am i missing something?? It must be a best selling award winner for a reason! Xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like you are using far too much. Are you giving it a good shake? I only need a tiny amount for a whole face, a lkot less that I use with other ofundations.

See I'm with Andrea on this one, I don't think skin base is good for really dry skin, as it can cling to dry patches. But hydra veil is a fantastic product and definitely sorts that out on my dry skin. I think it's a lovely foundation. I love how it looks on.

Has anyone tried the skin base lift yet? I got a bonus this month and am tempted to blow some of it on an Illamasqua order (even though I already blew a bunch of it on an OCC/Sugarpill haul! haha).

Skin Base Lift is amazing! I've been using it for highlight and contour as well as an undereye concealer. It's definitely worth investing in a few shades. Do you have a store or counter near to you so you can have a play with it first?

Three 50p sized blobs of skin base, how big is your face?! Lol :) joking aside, you're using far too much...I maybe use a 20p size when I do my own makeup, if that....it just needs really buffing in. I have combination skin and I love it?

Latest posts

Back