Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mac face and body now in my kit, what is another good foundation for brides with heavier coverage? I'm trying to build up my kit using premium brands but don't have counters locally so need to know what I want then hunt it down to try out when I'm away (I think I'll be in Manchester soon so will be able to find counters there)

Also, what concealer is good? (I don't mind this not being a premium brand at the moment but will upgrade eventually)

Many thanks
Amy xXx

Great thread! I recently qualified in make up however it was not a massively detailed course , I have also done an online course seperately so I get the theory side I'm just not confident enough yet.

S ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1387166053.298963.jpgo I'm just wondering how everyone gets this look with eye make up? Mot this exact one per say but the very sharp outline that a lot of make up artist I see do on their clients, it seems to be a popular look now & would love to perfect it!

To get a sharp line like that, I just kind of create the shape with a flatish brush (like a MAC 239 sort of shape) and then clean it up with concealer or foundation (or makeup remover if you do the eyes before foundation). Another way to do it is to take some sticky tape and take some of the sticky off on the back of your hand, then use that to get a clean line. I've done that on myself when I wanted a really sharp line... not sure if I'd do that on a client though.

I have mac face and body now in my kit, what is another good foundation for brides with heavier coverage? I'm trying to build up my kit using premium brands but don't have counters locally so need to know what I want then hunt it down to try out when I'm away (I think I'll be in Manchester soon so will be able to find counters there)

Also, what concealer is good? (I don't mind this not being a premium brand at the moment but will upgrade eventually)

Many thanks
Amy xXx
Illamasqua skin base is a good one. I'd recommend getting illamasqua's hydra veil primer too if you buy this because if your client is really dry, skin base can cling to dry patches.

Illamasqua do a good pro discount too! :)

I also like their skin base lights concealer which Andrea85 on here recommended. It does a pretty good job of concealing my horrid under eye circles, although on really bad days I use a peachy corrector (I have one from Pixi that I like) first).

Illamasqua skin base is a good one. I'd recommend getting illamasqua's hydra veil primer too if you buy this because if your client is really dry, skin base can cling to dry patches.

I also like their skin base lights concealer which Andrea85 on here recommended. It does a pretty good job of concealing my horrid under eye circles, although on really bad days I use a peachy corrector (I have one from Pixi that I like) first).

I was just about to recommend these again :)

As soon as I have some cash I'm getting more for my kit! I like the texture of them a lot.

I bought some of the OCC concealers which are nice, but they're so creamy they are no good for under the eyes as they just crease.

As soon as I have some cash I'm getting more for my kit! I like the texture of them a lot.

I bought some of the OCC concealers which are nice, but they're so creamy they are no good for under the eyes as they just crease.

Concealers can be a bit of a pain. They either don't cover enough, crease, or are too dry and cakey. Skin Base Lift is definitely my current favourite. I used to love the Bobbi Brown one until they changed the formula a couple of years ago. I had been using that one myself for nearly 10 years!

To get a sharp line like that, I just kind of create the shape with a flatish brush (like a MAC 239 sort of shape) and then clean it up with concealer or foundation (or makeup remover if you do the eyes before foundation). Another way to do it is to take some sticky tape and take some of the sticky off on the back of your hand, then use that to get a clean line. I've done that on myself when I wanted a really sharp line... not sure if I'd do that on a client though.

Thanks for the advice! I will try it on myself & see how I get on :)

Thanks for the advice! I will try it on myself & see how I get on :)
take a look at Chrisspy on youtube. She is so good at getting that perfect shape without tape! There's loads of videos with the tape method too though if you want to try that out.

Thank you! I did see your discussion about this but I got a bit list as to what product you were talking about! Looks like in the new year I need to get applying for my discounts and saving money to spend!

I have a baby so need to deal with my own horrific dark circles lol! So may have to invest fast! Are there many illamasque counters in the uk?

With reference to the sharp eye look, I would use micro pore tape from the chemist, fold the outside end over so its easy to remove and also before applying stick to the inside of your arm (so it doesn't pull hairs!) to remove some tack. This is what I do when applying semi perm lashes.
I'd also experiment with a slightly damp brush for precision?

I have a mini tip to add too,
I have found (after seeing them compare different prices lipsticks on tv years ago) that boots 17 long lasting lipsticks really last :) so lip colour will be the last item I upgrade! xXx

Try airbush Foundation

Love this thread!

I have a baby so need to deal with my own horrific dark circles lol! So may have to invest fast! Are there many illamasque counters in the uk?
I don't think there's that many, they have their flagship store in Soho (which is a magical place for a makeup fan!) the staff are awesome and a couple of other stores where you can use your discount.

They also have some counters but you can't use the discount at a counter.

UK - Illamasqua

Ive become a huge fan of BB cream- mainly due to the great effects it has on the skin. its acts like a primer, nice glide, leave alone as a healthy glow. gets rid of blemishes and has spf. bit inbetween a tinted moistiser/foundation but lighter, think airbase primer. Give a great natural matted effect.

Beauty blenders...become my new fav of the year. These bad boys can be used dry or wet and can conceal/blush and highlight. awesome!

Last but not least my real technique brushes....i love pixiewoo and they have created some lovely synethic brushes that you can use with cream/liquid and mineral powders. xoxo

Ive become a huge fan of BB cream- mainly due to the great effects it has on the skin. its acts like a primer, nice glide, leave alone as a healthy glow. gets rid of blemishes and has spf. bit inbetween a tinted moistiser/foundation but lighter, think airbase primer. Give a great natural matted effect.

Beauty blenders...become my new fav of the year. These bad boys can be used dry or wet and can conceal/blush and highlight. awesome!

Last but not least my real technique brushes....i love pixiewoo and they have created some lovely synethic brushes that you can use with cream/liquid and mineral powders. xoxo

Hi would you recommend a particular BB brandor they are all the same? Thanks.

My (probably) favourite tip is after application of makeup is to spray toner water up into the air whilst the clients head is tilted back or so the client can walk through it. Much better than spray fixer right at their face. I like to use Breath of Fresh Air by Lush.

My (probably) favourite tip is after application of makeup is to spray toner water up into the air whilst the clients head is tilted back or so the client can walk through it. Much better than spray fixer right at their face. I like to use Breath of Fresh Air by Lush.

Does it make the makeup stay put longer than usual?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Why is it better? I love me some fixing spray.

Skindinavia fixing spray is amazing! Urban Decay do a range of their sprays! And of course the MAC one is fab too!

xProjectPrettyx

I love skindinavia too. And i have one from Neve that i like a lot.

Latest posts

Back