Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree.. I would be gob smacked if a make up artist told me to get a sample and turned up with loads of mini bottles :/
The whole point of charging more for bridal make up (in my opinion) is because you are using high end quality products that are going to last all day/night and look flawless on photos.
I know it's hard trying to build up your kit but just spend the money and you will soon make it back.

Saying that, there are untold amount of people on facebook looking for cheap MUAs and saying 50 is too much, so this is the bargain hunter's option and the finish just wont be to the same standard. Same as hair, same as nails....Every industry has both ends of the quality spectrum, I suppose its up to you to decide where you want to sit on it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

the only thing i ask brides to get themselves is a lip colour as obviously I wont be around to touch up all day.

You should carry a wide range of foundations because whats the point in them hiring a MUA for their big day if your asking them to get their own sample?

Exactly.

As for the lip thing, I've started giving out small pots with a disposable lip brush and shave off a bit of the lipstick. It doesnt actually cost much at all and I factor it into my price. Again, it helps set me apart as a client won't only make her decision on price will she. I also tell them what lippy it is if they want to buy. Obviously I layer and set it to help it to last too.... another option is to have a range you retail yourself like jane iredale, which I I tend to do next year, i imagine its easy to sell the lipstick to brides x

Illamasqua skin base is a good one. I'd recommend getting illamasqua's hydra veil primer too if you buy this because if your client is really dry, skin base can cling to dry patches.

Illamasqua do a good pro discount too! :)

I also like their skin base lights concealer which Andrea85 on here recommended. It does a pretty good job of concealing my horrid under eye circles, although on really bad days I use a peachy corrector (I have one from Pixi that I like) first).

Which colours are best to start with? I'm looking at just getting 2 concealer a to mix at the mo. Most ladies my way are quite fair (it's not a very multi cultural town!). And the same for the foundation though I guess I need 2 lights 2 darks in that to get the right tones :-/ oh I need more money to play with!! xXx

They do a white too so you can mix to the colour rather than getting an exact match xx

Which colours are best to start with? I'm looking at just getting 2 concealer a to mix at the mo. Most ladies my way are quite fair (it's not a very multi cultural town!). And the same for the foundation though I guess I need 2 lights 2 darks in that to get the right tones :-/ oh I need more money to play with!! xXx

I got the lightest and darkest in both the pinker and yellower shades and also the middle shades and white. I know that's 7 so you might not want to spend that much. But you'd need at least 4 ... lighest & darkest yellow based and lightest and darkest pink.

I carry other foundations in my kit too as skin base won't suit everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't really see the issue of using sample pots, ur still using high end good quality products, least u have a wide range to use from. I'm not just a makeup artist I'm a beauty therapist, I work on my own, I only do on average 7 weddings a year, for me buying lots of foundations is not cost effective enough, would be different if I was just a MUA and that was my only form of income but it's not. I only charge £25, but that's all I can charge in the area I live.

I don't really see the issue of using sample pots, ur still using high end good quality products, least u have a wide range to use from. I'm not just a makeup artist I'm a beauty therapist, I work on my own, I only do on average 7 weddings a year, for me buying lots of foundations is not cost effective enough, would be different if I was just a MUA and that was my only form of income but it's not. I only charge £25, but that's all I can charge in the area I live.

£25 for bridal is ludicrous, you are selling yourself short. Does that include a trial as well? You can't actually be making a profit from that?

I appreciate what you're saying and totalyl get that you cant afford to have a wacking great kit for that number of jobs. Like my post above, theres going to be people for a budget bride and whilst it can be a bit detrimental to real MUAS (think £10 nails) there is a market for it and a bride cant expect a pro MUA service if they only want to pay £25.

I'd be surprised if you're making profit too? I started out charging £25 and sometimes made a loss!! Or working at min wage. After tax (thats a chunk off 25) travel (there goes another 5 generally) product (like lashes altho I guess some of this is free lol) hourly rate (usually have to allow 2 hrs for contingency even tho the bride only takes 1) etc.

Anyway totally off topic, I see these rants about MUAs on the wedding pages on fb all the time and have to bite my tongue about how people shouldnt be paying more than £30 and it winds me up!

The issue is its not professional, I'd be surprised if you're familiar with all the foundations and then you're not choosing whats right, or choosing the colour or using your makeup knowledge for them, do they get the sample before you've seen their skin? Also theyre using high street brands In that case as obviously they cant get some of the pro brands in debenhams. I just find it fascinating! It obviously works for you and the clients that you target.

Last edited:
I charge £20 trial and extra for lashes, the problem is there isn't 1 foundation that suits everyone, so u need a wide spectrum of foundations so u have the right one.
I'm up against big salons in my area who them selves only charge £30 for makeup! It's competition, I worked in 1 of them for 6 years and came across that in their pro range there wasn't enough foundations to choose from, hence why I use samples, and of course I do a trial first to analyse their skin. everyone is different :)

Hello Geeks!

Soo with wedding season and bridal fayres fast approaching, I thought it would be good to start a thread where we can all exchange our favourite tips, hints, advice and make-up secrets!!

Even if it obvious to you- it might not be so obvious to someone else and might in fact help a fellow geek.

So, who wants to start?!...

:hug:
Nuskin Galvanic Spa face lift effect treatment takes no more than 20 mins and gives a fabulous face lift effect. Make up can be applied safely afterwards. Best to do trial first.

I am a pro MUA and i always get people who want cheaper makeup doing but you always get what you pay for!! If brides think they can get a long lasting professional finish for under £20 they will not - its a business for makeup artists too - you dont want to be making a loss, you have to think its your products, fuel, time and professional application and advice!!

MUA RECOMMENDATIONS:

Smashbox primer
Benefit Porefessional Primer
Revlon Colourstay Foundations - you can get a wide range of colours and suitable for Oily/combo skin and dry too - never had any complaints for flashback and they wear all day!! Application either with a damp beauty blender or sigma flat top kabuki.
Bobbi Brown under eye corrector is great for dark circles
MAC pro longwear concealer over top - does not crease
MAC prep and prime finishing powder or MAC MSF
Loreal True Match aswell fab mixed with strobe cream for mature skin
MAC eyeshadows or Lorac Pro Palette or Stila in the light palette good for neutral bridal colours and of course Naked 1,2 and 3!!
I use NYX Milk for my eyeshadow primer for paler skins
MAC Paintpot in painterly is good too
Blushers MAC or Illamasqua are fab but if you can get your hands on the Tarte amazonian clay blushers they last forever!
For highlighter MAC soft and Gentle or The Balm mary loumanizer

I have loads of tips and tricks so just ask if need be!! ;)

xxx

Hi make up artists! I'm not in the business (I'm hairdressing) but have enjoyed reading this thread.... I have been using Estée Lauder double wear for years now, I love that it stays on so long but starting to find now that it looks too heavy and can make my skin look drier, also even tho I believe I'm using the right shade when I see myself in a photo I look so pale! (This happens even tho iv tried a few a
Shades!) iv also used mac studio fix before a few times but I don't find it lasts very long?.... It wud be gone by the end of the day basically where as double wear wud look the exact same..... Can anyone recommend a a long lasting liquid foundation? My skin is combi... Sometimes dry around my eyes/lips

Thanks in advance xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah double wear is notorious for flashing back which is what makes you look white in pics. Have you tried a primer under foundation to make it last longer? X

Also I believe double wear light doesn't have the flashback problem!??

Yep I'd recommend Doublewear light. Otherwise just use a light foundation and only use the Doublewear on the places you really need it.

This thread is heaven! I did have a flick through but has anyone got any feedback on airbrushing brands? I was thinking OCC.

I was also wondering if anyone has any experience using more natural brands on clients like Jane Iredale or Rms beauty? Do they stay on properly? Or do they fade quite quickly...I would assume using a setting spray would negate the whole natural thing.

I didn't do make up for long as unfortunately it was a massive financial investment and I ended up going more into beauty. Where I lived there were sooo many make up schools and it was hard to establish yourself.

But what I did really love in my kit was

Nars eyeshadow primer
Cinema secrets moisture spray (gave me breakouts if used too often but such a nice finish)
Make up forever flash color palette, very versatile, used to use the creams as a base to intensify shadows and if I was in a rush, a bit of glitter on the eye on top of my shadows were a great pick me up..Also got a lot of compliments on my custom lip colours...my housemate loved it so much she stole it (that was a bit crap)
Yaby brow colours, cheap, pigmented and layerable
Cream blush (I used an eve pearl palette but if I had the dosh, I'd go Bobbi)
Eve pearl salmon concealer (better than both Laura mercier and Bobbi for me but does settle in my fine lines)

Products I found overhyped
La femme blushes, cheap as chips and all over the online community but fade so unevenly
Occ lip tars...argh I know I will get a lot of flack but I literally have never ending dry lips...I would prep them sugar scrub and use a thick balm day and night, but whenever I used lip tars (yes I used the tiniest amount), they would bleed..with or without liner. It might've just been my dodgy lips though haha. I chose the flash palette over these to do custom colours

I'm travelling atm but can't wait to go home and get back into it. My salon rarely gets make up bookings but they do use MAC and Bobbi so can't wait to actually get back into it.

The only airbrush makeup I've used is airbase and I like it. I do have the sample packs of both colour ranges of OCC though, I just haven't got around to having a play yet. but I do like OCC. I love the lip tars, I know you said you hate them and I do understand why. If there's a hint of dryness it's gonna show up on your lips.

OCC have brought out pencils now and they have a clear one, maybe try that, might stop the feathering!

Also the flash palette, I don't use MUFE anymore but when I did I was always tempted to buy this but it's so pricey. Batalash beauty on youtube has a good vid where she does a full face of makeup with it - foundation and everything. It's pretty cool.

Thanks girls! I think il try double wear light! X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ladies,
Mi have a Bride who wants a heavy smokey eye for a wedding on Saturday. We did a slight smokey eye on her trial but she has since messaged me wanting a full on eye. She's a friend of mine so it's fine and no issue.

I'm going to bring a charcoal down under lower lash line but really worried about panda eyes. Would you ladies use a pencil and smudge the line or a powder? I've not done this for bridal before to last all day!

Latest posts

Back