Make-up artists: let's share tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See it's all cracked ? I've tried looking on website I got it but nothing's showing, do you think I should contact them ? X

ParissD, despite the fact the palette smashed would you recommend? Looking to start out and wanted to have a wide range of shades? If not any other recommendations would mean the world??

Makeup ladies... do you have a particular skincare brand that you use for makeup clients? In particular brides so I can give recommendation on a skincare routine ahead of their big day.

Makeup ladies... do you have a particular skincare brand that you use for makeup clients? In particular brides so I can give recommendation on a skincare routine ahead of their big day.

No I don't - I wish I did! I did an offer for brides which included a microdermabrasion course to improve their skin - no takers! I know Rochelle O'Brien MUA gives a dermalogica sample set to her brides, she charges £400 for wedding make up.

Thank you for your reply.
I did consider eve Taylor but I'm not sure it's widely known. I'm on the hunt for a local salon to book in for a facial so I can really feel how it works.
Dermalogica would be a great brand to have on board but I don't think they supply to small businesses do they?

Thank you for your reply.
I did consider eve Taylor but I'm not sure it's widely known. I'm on the hunt for a local salon to book in for a facial so I can really feel how it works.
Dermalogica would be a great brand to have on board but I don't think they supply to small businesses do they?

I don't think they do, Eve Taylor could be a good shout! Might be good to ask this question in a skin care thread too!

I don't think they do, Eve Taylor could be a good shout! Might be good to ask this question in a skin care thread too!

I do really like the look of eve Taylor and I've read fab things on here too. I just worry that it won't retail well. My aim is to have it in my kit to use as my main skincare, and at the trial being able to assess the skin & promote good skin care leading upto her big day so her skin looks fabulous!!! That's my train of thought anyway

I do really like the look of eve Taylor and I've read fab things on here too. I just worry that it won't retail well. My aim is to have it in my kit to use as my main skincare, and at the trial being able to assess the skin & promote good skin care leading upto her big day so her skin looks fabulous!!! That's my train of thought anyway

I use Eve Taylor as I'm a mobile beauty therapist. But now they have minimum order of £50+vat+delivery so I'm not sure it's really good for a small business if they just need to buy few products to spend around £70. Not happy with customer service too. I'm looking for some different products suitable for small business.

I use Eve Taylor as I'm a mobile beauty therapist. But now they have minimum order of £50+vat+delivery so I'm not sure it's really good for a small business if they just need to buy few products to spend around £70. Not happy with customer service too. I'm looking for some different products suitable for small business.
Oh that's a shame. I can imagine sitting on a lot of excess stock then as I really wouldn't be using a huge amount of product really.
Can I ask what other brands you've looked at please? I need some inspiration. X

ParissD, despite the fact the palette smashed would you recommend? Looking to start out and wanted to have a wide range of shades? If not any other recommendations would mean the world??

Yes I would really recommend other than the cracking. I've had no problems since, so pretty sure it was just the cold as when it's warm its a good consistency.

I use it more for contouring/highlighting now personally as I do tend to use the same colours. But I do think it's an all around good pallete for the colour range and can mix/layer over other concealers/foundations.

It depends how much your willing to spend, foundation wise now I predominantly use Armani luminous silk, not had any problems but heard Nars sheer glow very good so I think I'll try that. Concealer I love Urban decays naked concealers & Mac concealer also :) hope this helps x

Hi Ladies/Gents

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced tall directors chair to take with me for bridal make ups please.

Thank you
Emma [emoji182]

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491310295.740742.jpg

Hi I wondered what colours of eyes shadows you would use for this look? Suggestions please. Client wants mostly browns with a touch of mauve. Thanks x

Hi Ladies/Gents

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably priced tall directors chair to take with me for bridal make ups please.

Thank you
Emma [emoji182]

Have you tried looking on amazon? I have a plastic tall fold up make up chair but they have the canvas Ones on there too x

View attachment 204279
Hi I wondered what colours of eyes shadows you would use for this look? Suggestions please. Client wants mostly browns with a touch of mauve. Thanks x

Do you have any eyeshadow palettes already?
I could list you what I'd personally use but To save you buying anything else you may already have what you need x

ladies, any advice on mascara wands? I am just starting out and as everyone says I much prefer the wands which come with the products. Can you not just use them as long as you clean them the same way as the wands in the brush kits? On our training we used the wands in the brush kits and just washed them. Or is it just better to stick to disposable? thanks x

I don't know what other people think about this but I literally never dip the same wand in twice. I put it in use it and bin it then take another one use it and bin it. It might be more costly but I had an eye infection once from sharing mascara(when I was a teen) and it was horrible. You can buy different type of disposable wands if you search online. X

I'm new to makeup, just wondering what everyone does when using eyeliner pencil and liquid liners? Do you dip a different brush into the liquid and then clean or can you use the brush that's comes with on clients? What about pencils, how you do clean? I was told once to use a lighter on pencils to sterilise? Does the heat not ruin products?

I'm new to makeup, just wondering what everyone does when using eyeliner pencil and liquid liners? Do you dip a different brush into the liquid and then clean or can you use the brush that's comes with on clients? What about pencils, how you do clean? I was told once to use a lighter on pencils to sterilise? Does the heat not ruin products?

Just Sharpen the pencils.
I don't use liquid/felt liners.
I use gel liner, So just decant what I need onto a palette/back of my hand with a clean spatula. x

You could get your client to bring her own liner in if she wants to use a felt too liner , but for hygienic reasons I don't see how a salon can use one.
I use Mac pot paint in black also inglot make a lovely gel line in a pot. Then you can use a new brush per client, to make the line darker just set with black pigment or eyeshadow over the gel liner to make it pop more.

Just to let you know, the Real Techniques brushes are hitting Boots tomorrow. I'm pretty addicted to Pixiwoo at the moment so will defo be trying out the brushes. :)
Loving this thread x

Latest posts

Back