Make up artists - working for MAC?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsanonymous

Reaction score
Has anyone ever applied for a job with MAC and if yes what was the phone interview like?

I am considering applying for part time post but am scared stiff of what they might ask me and thats only the first stage?

If anyone got through that what was the actual face to face interview like?

Thanks

I don't know about mac but I had one for Estée Lauder once and they ask you a lot of questions about the history of Estée Lauder so I had to do my homework :-/

Maybe google mac phone interview see if anything comes up? Good luck

I applied for a similar job with bobby brown years ago which is owned by the same company as MAC.

They look for for people with strong retail sales experience and NOT strong MU skills which put me off working with them.

They ask you about your relevant work experience, your fav product in their range, your knowledge of their company and ask you to sell a product of their choice to an imaginary customer listing the benefits etc

Product knowledge is the key here!

They are not interested in how well you can apply makeup or whether you are qualified in makeup, they just want good retail staff to shift their stuff.

I've known people who have worked for mac and mostly all they did was recreate looks head office wanted them to do to sell certain products in their range ....obviously lol

There is very little room to grow as an artist as you will be working constantly from a look book and I've heard whether that look suits the customer or not that's what they get:-/
The staff discount is not to be sniffed at :)

Hth

They are not interested in how well you can apply makeup or whether you are qualified in makeup, they just want good retail staff to shift their stuff.

There is very little room to grow as an artist as you will be working constantly from a look book and I've heard whether that look suits the customer or not that's what they get:-/

Hth

Sorry to jump in as I am not a MUA but I do have a good friend who works for MAC and as far as I am aware you have to have a good make-up qualification to work there in the beginning, which I think personally is a good thing for both the staff and customers. Product knowledge is key for any company especially make up where your day will consist of constant questions about products! If you are good at what you do then there is definitely room to grow as there are higher certifications that MAC put you in for, test you in and qualify you in, as well as teams you can gain experience in (events team, body painting etc). You will also have the benefit of being a MAC employee to boost your freelance custom. And as for look book? I have never just been given a face of make-up at MAC which hasn't been discussed first, talked through from beginning to end, and they would never let you walk out unhappy. They know what they are doing its not scripted to them from books. I doubt they would allow you to do people's make up if you wasn't very good.

Could just be in the Liverpool store but they are trusted and respected MUA's who provide a really good and very popular service.

Sorry to jump in as I am not a MUA but I do have a good friend who works for MAC and as far as I am aware you have to have a good make-up qualification to work there in the beginning, which I think personally is a good thing for both the staff and customers. Product knowledge is key for any company especially make up where your day will consist of constant questions about products! If you are good at what you do then there is definitely room to grow as there are higher certifications that MAC put you in for, test you in and qualify you in, as well as teams you can gain experience in (events team, body painting etc). You will also have the benefit of being a MAC employee to boost your freelance custom. And as for look book? I have never just been given a face of make-up at MAC which hasn't been discussed first, talked through from beginning to end, and they would never let you walk out unhappy. They know what they are doing its not scripted to them from books. I doubt they would allow you to do people's make up if you wasn't very good.

Could just be in the Liverpool store but they are trusted and respected MUA's who provide a really good and very popular service.

If you read my post carfully, I said they were not interested that I was a qualified MUA nor were they interest when my friends were when they applied that they were qualified MUAs , as were more interested in my retail expereince rather than MUA expereince, so I'm not only speaking form my expereince but from other close to me too with mac and bobby brown.

At no point did they as me or my friend if we were qualified or had any makeup trianing....

When I lived in bristol the 'makeup artists' at mac used to makeup clients up like gods knows what in shdes that cleary did not suite clients and I had lots of clients came to me for makeup lessons that had, had very bad experiences at the MAC counter in that store.

As they found that the mac artist did not listen to want they wanted, didnt clean their equiment between cleints and miss sold products to get sales

Just my opinoin on MAC any way

Th

I applied for a similar job with bobby brown years ago which is owned by the same company as MAC.

They look for for people with strong retail sales experience and NOT strong MU skills which put me off working with them.

They ask you about your relevant work experience, your fav product in their range, your knowledge of their company and ask you to sell a product of their choice to an imaginary customer listing the benefits etc

Product knowledge is the key here!

I've known people who have worked for mac and mostly all they did was recreate looks head office wanted them to do to sell certain products in their range ....obviously lol

The staff discount is not to be sniffed at :)

Hth

This is the exact experience I had with the whole Estée Lauder brand family.

I have been a MUA for 10 years but had no 'retail' experience - although I am also a Box Office Manager, so selling is my business!!

I was passed up for MUA positions with the following brands, and all of the gave the same feedback - no retail specific experience.

Benefit, Bobbi Brown, MAC, Estée Lauder, Bare Minerals.

I gave up in the end and decided to concentrate on my business, best decision ever!!!

Hi
I worked for mac in london/Birmingham for few yrs with them. They normally ask on phone interview ' what is a current trend at the moment or what is your favourite trend and why' I think it's a score thing and they let u no there and then if u hav been successful. Also u normally hav to do a makeup test.

Latest posts

Back