Make up book recommendations please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe D

Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping that some of you had some recommendations for good make up books for me to buy before I go on a professional make up course. I went into Waterstones today and had a look at the Jemma Kidd book which looked okay, but maybe more of a coffee table display book rather than a book you could really learn techniques and get tips from.

Thanks in advance

Chloe:confused:

i really love the bobbi brown makeup manual, the first half of it, is all about basic makeup, and how to apply, which foundations suit certain skin types etc, and the second half is about artistry and what things to have in you're kit :)

kevyn aucoin making faces is a great book, but it really depends which part of makeup your hoping to venture into, this book is makeovers on celebrities and turning them into other celebrities, or icons, but regardless its a great read as it shows you which techniques you need to master, :)

hth's!

i really love the bobbi brown makeup manual, the first half of it, is all about basic makeup, and how to apply, which foundations suit certain skin types etc, and the second half is about artistry and what things to have in you're kit :)

kevyn aucoin making faces is a great book, but it really depends which part of makeup your hoping to venture into, this book is makeovers on celebrities and turning them into other celebrities, or icons, but regardless its a great read as it shows you which techniques you need to master, :)

hth's!

Both these books are fab!

I like the one by Marie Claire and the Francois Nars book too!

oh i havent seen the nars one, heard good things though il need to go look! :)

alex box has a new book out (illamasqua creative director) although i think its more focussed on "looks" and pictures rather than explanations, i have ordered it and will let you know if its any good when it gets here :)

oh i havent seen the nars one, heard good things though il need to go look! :)

alex box has a new book out (illamasqua creative director) although i think its more focussed on "looks" and pictures rather than explanations, i have ordered it and will let you know if its any good when it gets here :)

Please do, I absolutely adore the Illamasqua make up range!

i love the range too, but i'm abit biased as i work there, haha! :)

i love the range too, but i'm abit biased as i work there, haha! :)

Lucky you! I bet you get a nice discount too?!

x

well....:lol:

haha! :)

Thanks for all the replies - I am going to get the Bobbi Brown one tomorrow as as a start.

The Bobbi Brown book is great and a good place to start

Enjoy!!!!

I think a lot of colleges use "The Complete Guide to Make-up" by Suzanne LeQuesne. Which would get my recommendation (especially as I'm in it as a model in 3 places lol)...

all of the counters received a book from alex box, so if you're ever in illamasqua, ask to see it! :)

i loveee it, but its more about the art,rather than learning anything, so probably wont be any help you but worth a look :)

Latest posts

Back