Make-up counters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*RHI*

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just wondered the best way to get a job as a Beauty Consultant in a department store? It's so galmerous when you walk past and see all the gorgeous make-up and made up ladies working behind them. Of course it's not all about the glam, I would work my butt off. The idea of working my way up the business is appealing to me and I would enjoy the challenge. I'm going to send a CV and cover letter to all the department stores in town and wait for word back but what else can I do?

maybe try contacting the companies, for example in local department store, the girls who work on the counters for Benefit, Clarins etc have to apply via the company as opposed to the stores themselves, so get googling!
Also you could litterally walk up to the counters and ask the girls if there's any jobs going?

Hiya,

I would have a look on the websites of the make-up counters your most interested in working for! One of my friends works for a counter and loves it, says it's very hard work though as the targets are ridiculous. But the perks and discount make up for that!!!

Good luck hunting:!:
Emma

I will start googling now! i think before i go there myself i will make myself look gorgeous lol thanks for your advice

Hiya

I currently work for Bobbi Brown in London and its fun but alot of hard work!!

If you go to Estée Lauder: Welcome they have all the latest jobs for all the brands that they own.

HTH
Lima
x

department stores will usually keep a database of applicants, which the counter managers can search to find suitable applicants. so deffo send your CV into the dept stores as well as the companies themselves.

Hi!

I was an account manager for BeneFit in a House of Fraser store for 18 months. Most of the girls are employed by the particular brand they sell, but BeneFit and Guerlain girls, and maybe some others, are actually employed by the store, so it's worth contacting the store as well as the cosmetics companies. Also try local temp agencies, we had loads of girls in our store who temp'd, and one got a permanent job out of it. I got my job because I was such a regular customer at the counter, we got friendly and the girls told me about the vacancy!

BeneFit in particular is a very hard counter to work on as they expect you to 'traffic stop', ie stop customers elsewhere in the store and bring them over to the counter, and hold regular promotional 'parties' when they whack your target right up! They also like you to keep customer record cards and call the customers regularly and ask them in for makeovers etc. It was a lot of hard work, while all the other girls; Clarins, Dior etc don't have to do anything like that!

BeneFit is a lovely brand of make-up, but as far as working for them goes, my advice would be go for someone else unless you really have loads of energy and confidence. I left because I just couldn't keep it up anymore! :zzz:

Generally speaking, it's a good job to have. I've known girls get given Chanel earrings, Dior bags etc, and you get your free allowance of products every 3 months.

Good luck hunting! Hope you enjoy your new job...xxx:)

Try this passionateaboutbeauty.co.uk be aware they telephone interview you before you are even considered you, they ask questions like what is your proudest moment in your career so far, what do you think would be involved in the role, what makes you a good candidate.......

The general kind of silly questions they ask in interviews oh they also ask you to find out about the company before the telephone interview find out about estee lauder as a whole not just who your applying for.....

i pass the telephone part but i wrote down what i was gonna say before hand xx:lol:

go to esteelaudercareers.co.uk or if thats not correct address type it into google. Estee lauder own mac, clinique, bobbi brown, origins etc. If you work for these you get so much discount of ur own brand an then off the others within the estee lauder family, but if u work for eg benefit you only get discount off them. All brands are out to sell sell sell. But some counters have higher targets than others. I personally wouldnt work for benefit.. The way they traffic stop people is very annoying, they are very hard sell people an tend to rush you so they sell quickly an move on to next customer. In all its not a bad job, has alot of perks. Best of luck with it..

don't get in touch with department stores as they will probably find you jobs with them and if you work with them it is unlikely that they will then let you move over to another company within their store. Go on the sites directly and go to the counters directly and ask to speak to the account manager as they will probably know of the vacancies in the area. It is very hard work and very pressured with sales targets, but I had the best time of my life working on the counters and would reccommend the experience to anyone. Good luck x

Latest posts

Back