Make-up courses??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiobhanMarie

Reaction score
Im looking to do a make up course.... Can anyone recommend a good one they have been on please?? x

It might help if you gave a bit more info on what sort of course you're looking for?

I've done 2 short courses - bridal and fashion/photographic make up - with the London College of Fashion, both of which were fab and I'd recommend them.

But there's loads of courses out there that are suited to different requirements / budgets etc.

Can I butt in to say this is something I'm interested in too - can I ask whether the two short courses are the only training you've had Salj? Or have you also done a longer/more general course?

I'm really wanting to get into bridal hair & makeup and have done the VTCT level 2 certificate in cosmetic make-up and just doing an evening course in hair-up at the moment - I want to do a specific bridal course too, do you think maybe a week-long course in just bridal will be enough??

Do you get much work Salj??

I did NVQ II Beauty Therapy and I thought the make up training we got was rubbish, so I did the 3 day bridal course (I did the fashion one last year for fun more than anything).

I think it was definitely worth it. I was already fairly confident with make up, even after crap NVQ training but this taught me loads. For someone who's not done ANY training whatsoever it might be worth doing a foundation/basic course first, as they don't go into depth about colour correction and application techniques really.

But as you've already done a foundation course, I would think a short course would be fine. After that it's all practise practise practise!

I've only recently started trying to make a go of this professionally, I've done a few weddings but nowhere near as many as I'd like. I'm working on marketing myself. I am confident in providing bridal & occasion make-up, but it's not easy getting your name out there.

I've only done the make up training that was part of my level 2 course (and had lots of practice). However I've not done any make up for a while, do you think I would benefit from the course you took *salj*

I am really interested in this too, the course that I want to do is very expensive, but I have seen a cheaper course but I'm worried that I would be wasting money doing it when I could put that money towards the expensive course.

I have also read on a different forum though, that if you have a talent for applying make up that an inexpensive course is just as good to learn the basics.

If I choose the cheaper route, I could be doing it within a few months, but the expensive course will take at least a year to save up, then I would have to buy my kit on top of that.

I've only done the make up training that was part of my level 2 course (and had lots of practice). However I've not done any make up for a while, do you think I would benefit from the course you took *salj*
I think there's always a benefit from extra training.

I trained with DFMA Make Up Academy, I did a short course to start but I'm doing their 5 week course in June as I'm hooked.

Amazing!!! I think they are like other top schools, it costs more but you get to work with people who work in tv etc.

I had already covered make up at college, but I always think more training can never be a bad thing and there's so much competition where I am, I just wanted to be the best :) HTH

Latest posts

Back