Make-up didn't go too well

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tina

Reaction score
So I done a trial for the bride and we had to change it a couple of times, first eyes not dark enough then too dark , but she said she still wasn't sure what didn't look right. She said in the past if friends have done her make-up she hasn't liked it because it's not what she's used to wearing herself. I asked if there was anything she wanted me to change to make her more comfortable or if there was anything she didn't like. She couldnt pinpoint what it was.She said she would have to think about it but would probably do her own but she would text.
She text me today saying that she and now 4 of the bridesmaids that I should have also been doing are now going to do their own make-up, I wonder if she thought she could do the same job as me so why pay someone to do it.
I have done a few wedding make-ups and apart from one being due to sensitivity no one has ever decided not to continue with me.
I use Lily Lolo make-up.

It has made me think that maybe I'm not good at what I do.

So I done a trial for the bride and we had to change it a couple of times, first eyes not dark enough then too dark , but she said she still wasn't sure what didn't look right. She said in the past if friends have done her make-up she hasn't liked it because it's not what she's used to wearing herself. I asked if there was anything she wanted me to change to make her more comfortable or if there was anything she didn't like. She couldnt pinpoint what it was.She said she would have to think about it but would probably do her own but she would text.
She text me today saying that she and now 4 of the bridesmaids that I should have also been doing are now going to do their own make-up, I wonder if she thought she could do the same job as me so why pay someone to do it.
I have done a few wedding make-ups and apart from one being due to sensitivity no one has ever decided not to continue with me.
I use Lily Lolo make-up.

It has made me think that maybe I'm not good at what I do.

Don't blame yourself or lose confidence my lovely.

Some clients think they want their make-up done for them professionally only to find that actually they prefer what they do themselves and they don't want anything different at all.

Lots of ladies are scared of even having a different coloured eye shadow from the shade they have been wearing for the last 10 years.

And some ladies are just so used to the look they do for themselves that they can't accept or get used to anything more subtle or more dramatic.

Chin up and keep going.

Jacqui xx

How can you possibly even think your "not that good" if this is only the first person to refuse your services other than one due to sensitivity?

Don't be so silly and have some faith in yourself. We can't please everyone all of the time. You just need to accept that sometimes people are a bit set in their ways and will opt to do their own thing rather than hire you. It doesn't make you any less wonderful at what you do :hug:

Firstly, do not beat yourself up about this - as you said, this is the first time this has happened and so you ARE good at what you do, so don't ever start to think you're not!

Secondly, the whole "it doesn't look right, but I'm not sure why, so let me think about it" line is a very typical response from someone who is actually not serious about having their make up professionally done for their event/wedding. She was probably thinking "it looks lovely, but I think I can do this myself, so is it a cost I can save"! We know the difference between doing your make up yourself and having someone else do it - especially on the day of your wedding when emotions and nerves are running high - but not everyone can see that and so purely put it down to "you win some, you lose some" and don't think anymore about it.

I have been doing make up for years and to be honest, there are always some who think they can do just as good a job as us and sometimes feel deflated because they think you are going to perform a miracle when you do their make up.... an expression I like (and this one is purely between us in the industry as it's a bit naughty, but still makes me chuckle, is.... "I'm a beautician, not a magician"!!!) :lick:

You are good, you've done other weddings and I assume they have all gone well (??)... if so, forget it and carry on with your good work :) xx

Hi,
I had this happen to me a few weeks ago. And felt the same as u. But since then have do e at least 5 other brides who loved their make up. I just think that everyone has a different vision of what they want for their special day and that if we all liked the same thing then only 1 of us would be in business. Don't take it to heart and keep on going.

Maybe she just doesn't like exploring with eye make-up, just likes doing her own make-up but because it's her wedding her friends have been going on that she should have it done professionally, so she's tried it to shut them up but decided to do what she wants and to do it herself!

Don't loose confidence in what you do because of one fussy client. Take it in your stride and move on ;)

Now that you mention it she did tell me she got fired a couple of months ago so was now on a tight budget for the wedding but it seems she's put the bridesmaids off the idea of having their make-up done now but when I see them I will see if they say anything.

It does make me think is my make-up application too generic rather than tailoring to each individual needs.!

Now that you mention it she did tell me she got fired a couple of months ago so was now on a tight budget for the wedding but it seems she's put the bridesmaids off the idea of having their make-up done now but when I see them I will see if they say anything.

Did they see the make-up from the trial? If you are going to be seeing them I would probably ask them direct if they still wish to book in for theirs?

Did they see the make-up from the trial? If you are going to be seeing them I would probably ask them direct if they still wish to book in for theirs?

She was seeing one of them that night but not the others

She was seeing one of them that night but not the others

I would speak to the bridesmaid and see what she thought of the make-up, just say you are curious what it was that wasn't right for her. Don't let on that it has knocked your confidence but say you like to learn from experiences!

Thanks for your support, I'm seeing a couple of them next week for a spray tan so I will see what they say .

If its a budget thing maybe she feels she would have to pay for the bridesmaids and can't afford to!

It does make me think is my make-up application too generic rather than tailoring to each individual needs.!

Generally we are either beauty therapists who do some make-up or make-up artists who do some beauty.

And often make-up strikes terror into the hearts of beauty therapists!

I had a bride in tried 2 totally different eyes on her she wasn't happy, when she walked out she said oh that's what I want referring to our model on brochures. Different to what she had said both times, she did her own and it was just green eyeliner. The pic on model was pinks blended. I figured after that she just didn't know what she wanted. I now ask them to bring a picture in of what they want and it works every time. The spend the time deciding over a picture not my work.

Im pretty much just reiterating what everyone else has said but...i had my make up done by my beautician a while ago, and i wanted to go for the pale look as naturally i am very pale (normally i have a thin layer of fake tan and some bronzer)...i can't fault my beautician, she did everything i asked but i really didnt like what she did purely because i wasn't used to it. I hated how i looked but that was down to my own confidence and what i saw was not what i was used to seeing...
and from doing a few clients make up myself, i think that make up is one of the hardest treatments to complete! you win some, you lose some..make up can enhance their features and beauty, it can't make them look like beyonce on the cover of Glamour!
Just to back up what everyone else is saying :) x

I really don't think it's you, I have done a few weddings, and if she couldn't even say what was wrong, I just think she sounds like a bridezilla that I would prefer to stay away from on her wedding day!!. Some brides don't like it if you don't use light browns and pale pinks!!!!!!. I'm sure you are completely fabulous and dont worry what she thinks!! Xx

Don't worry yourself about make up,people get used to what they like and what they use.i suggest to my clients that they can bring anything they want to a trial whether it be there full make up bag or just a lipgloss xxx

It sounds like this is down to a cost issue due to loosing her job and for her to save face and not be embarrassed by her financial situation, she is therefore saying there was something wrong with what you did rather than being honest with you.

Don't take to heart, people will always do or say what is convenient for them regardless how it effects other people.

Unfortunately you have grow a thick skin in this industry in order to survive:)

At some point in the future I would like to take an advanced course in make-up although I've always been pretty good with make-up, I used to give my friends makeovers when we were younger!!!

Latest posts

Back