Make up for family photo shoot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthlm

Reaction score
I have someone coming in to have her make up done on saturday, she is then going to a studio in our town for a short make up shoot with her husband and daughter, the photo part was a wedding gift. I have done her make up before but I was wondering if there are any do's and dont's that the more experienced MUA could give me, she has dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, her skin is reasonalnby good, 34 years of age, pleasantly plump ( so maybe some light contouring?? ) and advice would be greatly appreciated......:hug:

ruth x

Hiya
Remenber it's a family photo shoot so don't over do the look with really heavy lips and caked on foundation. although saying that, it does need to be applied heavier than normal application. Go for smoky brown tones on the eyes as this will make blue eyes sparkle and a natural pink gloss on the lips, plenty of blusher and a soft illuminator to high light the cheek bones. You can't go wrong with this look. If she's got the length on the hair try a tousled side bun with abit of soft backcombing (bouffant). Its quick, simple looks really effective and fun! Goodluck x

thanks for the advice, she does have long hair, not sure if she just wants to leave it down though, glad to know I was thinking along the right lines, was going to use brown tones, she's nsot too keen on blusher, but was thinking on puting a little of a paler pink on for a nice fresh look, was going to use a gloss, she has a nice one she sais for touching up before hand, an YSL one with the gold sparkle in it, so will put a nice neautral one on that she can touch up if needed before her photo's,

I will be using airbrushed foundation,s o will build to a nice coverage, her skin is normaly good anyway so that should be ok..
thanks

Hiya sorry If i go abit off track here...

I have my first bridal trial in November and just had a quick question. At college we used couches and gave like a 'mini facial' to remove make up and excess dirt. The lady who's house I am going around doesn't have space for a couch so I am using a chair I just wondered how I would prep the skin before I start applying make up if she is sitting upright. Also in your experience do you prefer using a couch or chair?

Thank you x

You need to be able to do makeup on a chair, no more couches when you get in the makeup industry!
I do have a chunky (expensive but worth it) barbers chair for my makeup room and generally prefer for really smokey party eyes to pop the client half way back (as i think in most cases smokey eyes look rubbish until you finish, at least thats what i find with me!and the semi reclining chair helps with dark shadow fallout.) But for all my bridal trials, they stay sat up and watch the whole thing in a big mirror start til finish and of course on the day they have just had beautiful wedding hair done which is the main reason why you can't wrap em in blankets and lay them down. And in lots of cases on freshly done hair I gently hold any falling hair back whist I do bits as grips and pins could dent their hair too. x

Thank you..I may send my couch back as I don't think I will ever be using it. Unless I do another course where it will come in handy lol I wish one of you pro's could come with me on my first trial lol x

I do alot of weddins and personally ask them to have their skin prepared ready for your application of moisturiser them makeup, advise them on their trial how to do this and it saves you precious time. In all my years i have never had a client question this.

hth

Nic

Latest posts

Back