Make Up for Young Bridesmaid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alimac

Reaction score
I am doing make-up for a bridal party this weekend.

I've already had a trial with Bride and chief Bridesmaid and I'm fine with that. The other bridesmaid who I haven't met yet is only 12yrs of age and I was wondering what advice you could give me about amount of make-up to put on her - I am thinking just a suble bit of eyeshadow/mascara/lipgloss??

Help! (& Thanks!)

i think that sounds fine if they are insistant on more, maybe a light application of shimmer powder or a light amount of a translucent powder, also maybe a clear lash gel instead of full blown mascara? tiny bit of blush maybe x

Obviously she probably wouldn't want too much but 12 is a funny age if shes nearly 13 they can look almost fully grown.I know from the school discos i do,some are truly amazing.
She may be a bit spotty and want a bit of foundation.
Its a shame you cant see her just to try out any products she may want just to check for sensetivity.
Its good to have a bit of make up on though as it can look better in the photos, even if its just a bit of blusher and lip gloss.

I did 2 pre teen bridesmaids (and 2 really cute little ones) in November, one of them was actually my daughter. I used Guerlain Meteorites to give them a dewy glow. Then a light lilac shimmer on their eye sockets, followed by plummy coloured mascara. It doesn't look as harsh as black. Then they just had clear gloss on their lips.

as said, some 12yr olds seem alot older, whereas some are quite young for their age. I would ask her if she normaly wears make up and if so what. that way you can decide how much to put on,ie- whether to use foundation or not, without her feeling like she's got too much or not enough on.

I just apply some translucent powder (no foundation and perhaps a little concealer)
I always use a pinky blush - a shimmer on their eyelids and a little mascara - and a pinky gloss. This helps on photos without her looking too made up.

One of my bridesmaids was 11 when I got married. She just had a little bit of blusher and natural looking eyeshadow, and I got one of those tinted lipsalves - I think it was a Nivea one - in a natural pink so that she could keep it afterwards.

Im not a skin geek, but just did my friends daughters makeup for a wedding, she was a bridesmaid. She is a very grown up 13 and had tinited moisturiser, a bit of concealor as she has a few spots and redness around the nose, pale eyeshadow, touch of blush to the cheeks and a think slick of a nude lipgloss.

Apart from the odd spot she has a fab complexion peaches and cream, so looked lovely bless her!

the advice i was given for young girls was to speak to the parents first, to see what they would be ok with...you dont want them freaking out.

but as the others said some lipgloss, maybe something with a bit of shimmer on eyelids &mascara but nothing over the top. I think cream blusher would look a bit more natural.

i def wouldnt use foundation, maybe a bit of concealer if she really needed it.

i think they shouldnt be too made up, after all they are young girls.

Do you charge accordingly for 'flower girls' (i.e under 12s)? If so, bare minimum is required. Having said that you really won't be able to make any decision until you see the girl and analyse her needs.

If she has acne or unattractive high colour, she's going to look awful in photos (compared to the others) without base. If she has fair brows, they will need definition. If she is particularly pale, she will need colour. You can't make these judgments until you've seen her, just as you couldn't with any other makeup client.

In my experience, most over 12s end up having virtually full makeup anyway. It would be a good idea to check with the bride what sort of look she is after for this young girl. If you're applying base, you will need to use powder for it to stay all day, then add back in colour and highlights and contour....so you practically end up doing a full face anyway. As I said....very difficult until you consult with the bride and see the girl....

as amy hassaid, it depends on how old she is for 12. some are still cute and young looking, others look much older and more grown up. if everyone else is having makeup, and this girl needs some, then i would aply what was needed. A good application of foundation should melt into the skin and therefore not be too noticeable anyway. i would use a cream blusher, eyeshadow of choice, no eyeliner and a brown/plum mascara. Lipgloss tends to be more popular with girls than lipstick, so would go with this.

Thanks for all the replies - it helped me a lot - I feel a lot more prepared than I was before this thread!

The wedding is tomorrow and I am feelign quite confident now!

Thanks again
x

How did you get on Alison?

Hi there,

Great thanks - hough really underpriced the job!! (See Mrs Clooney's thread on Bridal pricing)

Here are the photos: PHOTOS

They look lovely, very fresh and natural. Well done!

Beautiful Alison well donexxxxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back